ABW Ambassador
    Anyone have any experience with them and how they might stack up to Overstock. I assume they only run their program via Befree...

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Partially owned and managed by AOL. 100% parasite ridden merchant including WhenU and Gator. Much like Dealtime...losers!

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

We do consistantly between $1-3k per month with them. We've found about 3x the effectiveness of Overstock, as measured by earnings per click. That changes a bit month to month, but it's right about there.

Individual product linking available, affiliate manager always seems to answer my emails within 24 hours.

Others are probably in a better position to answer questions about parasites and such. I'm more interested in earning money.

I wouldn't necessarily give them a rave review, but the number of sales conversions I get in relation to the amount of exposure I give them is quite satisfactory.

hmm... I'm confused. Should I go ahead and apply to smartbargains? Not sure what bad things will happens!

ABW Ambassador
    I do fine with them.

I work in lounge pants

ABW Ambassador
    They convert pretty well. You'll have to check your links fairly often and replace where necessary, because they have a pretty high stock turnover rate.

------------------------------
    Get Rich or Try Dyin' ~ Fy Dolla
    Got a beef? Call the Chief! 1-900-CHIEFBS

I do good with them. Not as good as I do with Overstock, but they're certainly a good merchant. Their affiliate manager is great.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    quote:
    Anyone have any experience with them and how they might stack up to Overstock. I assume they only run their program via Befree

I have a recent experience - it's probably too late to apply to you - but I get a chance to vent!!

Three weeks ago a customer clicked on their free shipping banner - and didn't get the free shipping.

He emails us like it's our fault.

We contact the am - no response.

We contact them again - this time saying "Hey, we need to respond to this customer with something other than "Sorry, merchant doesn't care to reply"

No response.

THEN we go to their site and contact their Customer Support and say "Can you forward this attached email to your am - we'd like a response"

Their customer support responded today:

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting SmarBargains.

We have received an email from you that may have been sent to us unintentionally. If there is an issue that needs to be addressed specifically by SmartBargains, please contact us via email or the toll free number listed below.

Today I finally responded to the customer with copies of all our attempts to reach smartbargains and then said "Have you tried Overstock!!"

(And of course, I removed all their links)

ABW Ambassador
    hehe send him your phone number and he'll ring your phone off the wall. That's a department where they really do "stack up to Overstock"; the steady stream of phone calls to solicit exposure.

ABW Ambassador
    For me they do not convert quite as well as overstock but they have a couple things going that made me choose them for one of my sites over overstock.

1) Their commish is better.
    2) Their selection in my particular vertical category is better (2-3x the products)

With those things in mind and an 'ok' conversion rate I have made more with them than I did with overstock on this particular site.

what???????????

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    HMMM...they had left me a few messages a couple of months ago and I had been wondering about them. I didn't sign up because they apparently have 0 cookies, and I don't remember the commish being all that stellar either. The fact that he mentioned a *different* site of mine with each message also was not impressive. It showed that he hadn't even made a record of who he'd called, and had just been whoising likely sites one after the other.

~~~~~~~~

I will say that I would have handled Billy's situation differently--by telling the customer that I was just running the SB ads, and to email SB directly with any complaints.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    quote:
    Others are probably in a better position to answer questions about parasites and such. I'm more interested in earning money.

When OS filed the lawsuit under the new UT spyware law (that they helped put into law and WhenU contested) for competitors popping on their site, SmartBargains was the one of the culprits doing the popping on OS. I saw them popping through numerous applications when going to OS either through aff links or direct type-ins. And popping frequently. I've never seen OS popping on SmartBargains.

Hmmm...wonder how much affiliate driven traffic to OS they were siphoning off impacting on affs OS conversions???

I'm getting lots of spam e-mail lately from people identifying themselves as SmartBargains affiliates. No tricks, just plain and simple spamming out in the open. Ugh.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    My take is as Overstock silently whacks the tricksters and spammers from their program they migrate to Smartbargains. Those choosing to ride the 180Solutions train and play blind cookie sets from their domains usually choose both OS and Smartbargains with most the risk being on the OS side.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

It's funny that you mentioned that, because I usually ignore the junk mail, but the product mix sounded a lot like Overstock's and I was thinking "Jeez, some Overstock affiliate has a web site called SmartBargains.com and they're spamming me!!!" and I was ready to turn them in, but of course I found out that SB is it's own entity.

- Tim
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I do good with them. Not as good as I do with Overstock, but they're certainly a good merchant. Their affiliate manager is great.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
    Does their affiliate manager know about the parasite problem that is affecting their reputation?

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread