I have been an affiliate since March 2004... A recent entry to my weblog...

http://blog.qisoftware.com/2004/07/d...affiliate.html
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2][url=http://remix.qisoftware.com/]Remix[/url] | [url=http://wiredpages.qisoftware.com/]WiredPages[/url][/SIZE][/FONT]

you have had enough click throughs or time online to validate the claim of being a failure at affiliate marketing...

One more thing....

I noticed you are hosting all or part of your website on aol... no professional will take you serious...hosting with aol.

you need a real hosting account and your own domain name(s)

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

I am still deciding...
    thanks for your response...

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I am still deciding <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[Methinks it is time to store this somewhere so I can cut and paste it instead of typing it every month or two]

This is not meant as criticism:

Cost of a domain name and hosting account is less than a buck a day when spread out over time. If you are not serious enough to commit a buck a day toward operating a business, then you can't expect anybody else to take you seriously either.

my2cents replied:
    " posted August 02, 2004 08:11 PM
    you have had enough click throughs or time online to validate the claim of being a failure at affiliate marketing..."

... I was responding to whether or not I was a failure as an affiliate...

This is not about the economics of another domain... qisoftware.com is my commercial business site. I have put a lot of research, software, and a myriad of links into Wired Pages and want my audience to feel comfortable. A lot of sleek ads and a more professional look are not what make a site great.. I believe it is attention to detail and the since of completeness.

"Do I need to add something to a section to make it better." I ask myself this alot. I want my audience to see my news service as a family, business, student friendly tool and I believe that AOL can help me to achieve that sense of "she's not here to con me...."

I am a software consultant... not a salesperson... I decided not to insult anyone's intelligence by pretending I was...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I believe that AOL can help me to achieve that sense of "she's not here to con me...." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Having an AOL domain might achieve the opposite effect.

Business credibility and trust comes with having your own domain. Your approach might work if it's very clear that it's a little personal homemade website. But the tagline "Wired pages...your guide to entertainment, business, government and the world" and an aol domain sets off alarm bells.

You're also essentially trying to compete with some of the biggest websites on the planet.

What do you offer that nobody else does? What can you do better than anyone else? Those are the questions you need to answer I think.

I have been online for many years, and can't honestly remember seeing anyone sell anything on an AOL page.

I'm not sure how I'd react, guess it depends if they hit my 'pain or pleasure' button with thier sales copy.

Scot

MJCB - what kind of alarm bells.... It is a news service primarily... It doubles as a promotional site for my business [software consultant]... Alarm bells.. guess I don't see the rationale...

However, I believe that it can work... I am not going to give up just yet... I have more site visitors each week... My links are trusted names... It's like going to your favorite mall and picking the stores you like to frequent... AOL sell... no the site sells America...
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2][url=http://remix.qisoftware.com/]Remix[/url] | [url=http://wiredpages.qisoftware.com/]WiredPages[/url][/SIZE][/FONT]

You can get your own host for $4/month these days.

I would get your own domain...

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread