ABW Ambassador
    On the topic of Spam...which affiliates are really nothing more than fronts for spammers? How can you find out if a merchant sells its email list to spammers?

I depend on repeat visitors, and do not want to send any of them to email hell, but I really don't know how to tell if the ink jet merchant I recommended is going to supplement their income by selling email addresses.

Some companies are obvious. Most of the valueclick merchants are in the business of selling email lists.

Missoula - Short Stories

Richmond, VA
    On the subject of Merchant spammers:

In my Linkshare mail inbox I keep getting spammed by "" I think the count is now up to 27 in the last two months. Funny thing is, I am not even a affiliate/partner for them.

Yes, I have written and asked them to stop!

Anyone else getting spammed inside their Linkshare or CJ mail system accounts?

Fred [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

In an effort to watch your cholesterol, you eat Spam Lite.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    The Swamp
    Recently had an incident with the CJ system. But it was not through their internal system, but with my login addy. I recently changed the address back when I started getting more and more emails from merchants trying to get me to join their program.

Well low and behold *someone* used that address plus one more to sign me up to Neil Durrant's newsletter! I was already a member, so I didn't do this myself. Neil checked and said it came through their onlline web form but couldn't track it down further. I contacted CJ help and their response was that our email addresses aren't available to merchants directly and it must have been when I was a merchant with them and the address was available to my affiliates. But I specifically told them that the address used to sign me up wasn't in effect when I had an affiliate program with them. Basically they just blew it off. What a crock. Bad enough to get spam, but for someone to be signing you up for newsletters! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    And Todd at CJ will tell you that merchants can't see your e-mail and that they don't spam. CJ will also tell you they have nothing to do chance somebody guessed the e-mail I log into CJ with and signed it up. The box I use with CJ is bombarded constantly (although it seems to have tapered off a little in the past week or so).

Now, on the original topic, it *can* be difficult to tell right away who is selling what. Since we have unlimited aliases, if there is something I would like to test, or sign up to, I use something specific to identify it. Just do

TH Media-Web Solutions For The Small Business
    Check Out The TH Media Affiliate Program

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread