ABW Ambassador
    First a little background so you get an idea of where I am coming from.

I've been on the net since 1995. I've got email addresses still good going back that far. I admin over 100 websites, and am admin contact for over 1000 domains.

I get a lot of email. About 800 emails a day. 80% of it is spam. Or, I should say WAS 80% because using two free services on the net has just about eliminated spam from my email. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Okay, first one, I mentioned this over on the CJ thread forums.

What this does is "encode" your email into characters that your customers/visitors can still see, but are invisible to email harvesters. It'll take some time to update a lot of pages, but it does work very well. Get your address out of their lists!

Next, check this out:

this is a free eudora email plug in that runs some great filtering to move all your spam to one junk mail box, which you can then scan and delete all at once. Right now it's in beta stage, but it's working 100% for me. And in the beginning you have to carefully make sure you aren't deleting any good emails, but you can tune it to your email by accepting and rejecting specific email addresses.

but using these two freebees, has absolutely ended my spam problem. Now I'm dealing with about 10 spams a day that don't get caught. That I can handle.

Out of hundreds just a few weeks/months ago.

To those of you who use outlook, all I can say... get a real email program! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] really eudora is better than outlook any day of the week and it's free now, so there is no reason not to use it.

disclaimer: I don't work for any of these companies and am not affiliated with any either. All of them are free. I'm just letting you know to help others. I take no responsibility for anything they may do to your computer, always backup your data/email. All have worked fine for me, but "your mileage may vary.... " [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] - Turns your search box into money.

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    Another good program is MailWasher, a free program that allows you to preview mail on the mail server before downloading.

It has various powerful traps and filters to catch and tag the spam. You then have the ability to bounce the spam back and delete from the server. So, you only download the email you want.

Incase you missed that, you BOUNCE your unwanted emails, which reduces the lists you are on and reduces resultant spam.

Works for me,

(I have no connection with mailwasher other than being a very happy user.)

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    The Swamp
    Thanks AffJus will check those out. Eudora does have some very nice features. It also adds some extra protection from viruses the way it handles attachments over Outlook.

I use MailWasher also and am pretty pleased with it. It does have very good filtering. Although I can't say that I've seen a decrease in the amount of spam from bouncing them, but it does give me personal satisfaction. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I know several board members have mentioned using it, and here's a note of caution I just discovered with it. Evidently it generates a file everytime it checks your mail with the header info and the first part of the email text. It dumps these in a Mailwasher direcory. Last week I got several alerts from Norton that these Mailwasher files were infected with the Nimda virus and they had been repaired. Evidently it copied the virus to these files. I didn't get infected and I deleted the emails through MailWasher of course. But make sure you have an antivirus program running! You should anyway, but do not run MailWasher without a program scanning all incoming files.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    St Clair Shores MI.
    Thanks for the above tips on spam filtering. Anyone come up with a way to filter out all those China and Korean spamms with foreign language fonts in Outlook or Outlook express. I get about 80 a day.

My problem with converting over to Eudora is that I have hyundreds of e-mails with usernames/passwords and client hosting particulars in folders on my Outlook Express and even the old Netscape e-mail client.

WebMaster Mike

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, does kill all those junk kr and cn emails instantlyi!

also, I found a Windows product that uses the same technology. but its not free.

If it works as well as spamnix does for Eudora, it's worth the $30. And they have a free trial. According to their site:

System Requirements:
    Windows 98/2000/XP or ME
    Outlook 2000 or 2002
    10MB free disk space

Supports Outlook with MS Exchange and POP3 accounts

Note, this is for MS products. If you use Eudora, the spamnix plugin is free and works. - Turns your search box into money.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread