View Poll Results: Poll Question "Would you consider someone a spammer..."

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, it's a great way to generate traffic!

0 0%
  • Probably not, I know there are clean lists out there.

2 5.13%
  • I guess so, I've heard a lot of people say the lists aren't clean.

5 12.82%
  • Yes, the lists are all dirty - I hate spammers!

32 82.05%
    Would you consider someone a Spammer, if they sent out emails using a list purchased from someone else? (A list not generated by their own site and visitors)

Coincidentally, I just saw this at Fastmail (a web-based email service, like Hotmail, NOT emailers).
    -----
    "The terms of service you signed up to specifically prohibit 'unsolicited commercial email'. Remember that even one complaint of an unsolicited email where the email clearly shows that it's 'commercial' is enough to break the terms of service, so you need to be careful.

An important first point: it's impossible to purchase a list, and meet these terms. A user may have solicited communication from some company, but they didn't solicit it from you, they solicited it from the company you are purchasing the list from."
    -----
    At first glance it looks they're less forgiving then most, but I think they're just an exception to the rule by being very clear about exactly what they mean. Nice of them to put it in plain english. No question over what "it's impossible to purchase a list and meet these terms" means.

ABW Ambassador
    I've noticed that I have to opt out of about 30 lists for every list I opt in to.

One of the problems with your list buying approach is that you will end up with a different opt out mechanism, making it extremely hard for the end user to regulate the email they receive. Opting out of your list will not get me out of the master list.

The fact that the email comes from a different domain than the domain I subscribed to also indicates that the email is spam.

There are a few legimate cases where a company sells leads. These companies are often expensive, and you can only contact each lead once. Mailing lists sellers, on the other hand, are the only form of life lower than a spammer.

Missoula - Short Stories

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    "There are a few legimate cases where a company sells leads. These companies are often expensive, and you can only contact each lead once. Mailing lists sellers, on the other hand, are the only form of life lower than a spammer."

Basically all professional opt-out e-mail marketers are UCE spammers. They have loaded lists that they know contain hidden co-registrations and the only "cleaning" regards someone has verified they are deliverable. Which means the first go around didn't bounce and if the receiver unsubscribed from thta list they are a active account for the second and third list broker sales.

The list brokers definitely are the rats in the spammers sewer.

WebMaster Mike

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buy_online:
    Would you consider someone a Spammer, if they sent out emails using a list purchased from someone else? _(A list not generated by their own site and visitors)_<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kill them all & let God sort it out.

http://SearchToSale.com - Turns your search box into money.

[Kill them all & let God sort it out.-]
    That's a bit harsh...LOL!

"I haven't failed, I've just found 10,000 reasons why it doesn't work"
    Thomas Edison

But how to kill them, that is the question. Maybe they should don those little orange vests, and be perpetually cleaning up the highways?

Fred

In an effort to watch your cholesterol, you eat Spam Lite.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> [Kill them all & let God sort it out.-]
    That's a bit harsh...LOL! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kill them all & let God sort it out~!

DITTO~!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I know there must be some legit e-mail marketingg firms out there ..but in 5 years I've not been able to run across one!!! MY advice to all webmasters is DON'T unsubscribe. I made thta mistake a few days ago on some nicely formated HTML Mortgage and product spamms. Today I get 413 spamms from various new sources. Report all of them to Spamcop.net and let them blacklist the good and bad.

20 of todays had this at the bottom.

This email was sent to you via Saf-E Mail Systems. Your email address was automatically inserted into the To and From addresses to eliminate undeliverables which waste bandwidth and cause internet congestion. Your email or webserver IS NOT being used for the sending of this mail. No-one else is receiving emails from your address. You may utilize the removal link below if you do not wish to receive this mailing. , please click this link . Please accept our apologies if you have been sent this email in error. We honor all removal requests.

Bullshit not even the removal domain existed.

WebMaster Mike

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread