All,

Take a look at this:

New Web Tool Combines Junk Mail With Pop-Ups - - - Newsday.Com

Oh Boy!

Doc

"There comes a time in the affairs of a man when he has to take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
    - W C Fields (Tille and Gus)

ABW Ambassador
    Interesting ..

You should all take a look at this ...

Comments?

Dave

I downloaded it and it really seems harmless, parasiteware(TM) wise, but it can definately be a real PITA.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    It was only a matter of time. Urgh!

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

ABW Ambassador
    I received some of these popups on some servers I maintain for a friend. At least I know now how I can reveive a degree over the Internet.

As with most garbage like this, the only harm done is the message in the text, and the willingness of the user to follow through on the request. And, of course, the anoyance factor.

IamJaloppy

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Just as soon as the ISP's and endusers clamor for help from Uncle Sam to stop spammers along come the European underground programmers, who brought us spywarez and BHO Adware and P2P theftware networks, to give us a spamm tool to popup Ads on the Windows desktop. The purpose, regardless of what the originator says, was to bypass the spamm filters in e-mail servers to allow the sleeze bag spammers and unethical merchants to continue to blast out billions of UCE messages.

The e-mail side needs a swift law cure it's evils. Have the USA congress pass a law making all e-mail have to have a ONE CENT ePostage meter stamp placed on it to be received by any stateside ISP POP3 server. All e-mail without the stamp get's undelivered and reported to a Gov't run anti-spam center for action if it cannot get a legit- returned to sender header-. Every public ISP account gets an ePostage meter report where activity is charged on the monthly bill. Legit e-mail marketers, using their own servers, will have to pay a bulk rate ePostage stamp to identify their ecommerce messages as deliverable.

All proceeds go to fund a non-profit anti-spam and CyberCrime investgative unit of the FTC. This is Webmaster Mikes long sought after cure to choke the spammers from ever making any eyeball money.

Any Politicians, or ISP portals offering e-mail accounts, reading this and using it as a compaign platform or extra charge service have to put www.ecomcity.com in their public or private ePostage advertisements.

WebMaster Mike

moderators can remove this thread as the link to "New Web Tool Combines Junk Mail With Pop-Ups - - - Newsday.Com" is no longer valid

Doc

"There comes a time in the affairs of a man when he has to take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
    - W C Fields (Tille and Gus)

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread