Over the last week I've recieved a number of spam emails which appear to be using a new and very nasty tactic. Not only does someone send the same spam email one time (bad enough) but I have been getting large-scale amounts of the exact same email from the exact same source (usually a yahoo free email account). By large scale I mean hundreds of the same email from the same source - I've just cleared my email box of from the latest mass spammer who sent 1,080 (Yes, ONE THOUSAND AND EIGHTY!) copies of the same email from a yahoo address. This is way beyond annoying and potentially expensive in bandwidth costs for anyone (like me) who is recieving this mass junk.

What the heck is this? Shock-And-Awe spam email tactics????

I'm just about to write to yahoo about this, although I don't know if it will help.

Frankly I just wish all the free email services would stop being free and start charging people. Much of the spam I get is from free places like yahoo and if spammers get caught they can just sign up under a fake name for another free email address, with no financial implications to themselves.

Battling through theifware, keep=no, out of stock items, deactivated merchants and the jungle of great merchants and bad apples to try to make a cent.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    AOL just filed 5 federal law suits against Yahoo and Hotmail spammers. They had to file them against "John Doe" as they haven't traced them to the actual perps. Basically AOL has had it with spammers, and will use the courts to ferret out the perps by forcing the FREE POP3 account providers to devulge who the spammers are...

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

[This message was edited by EcomCity.com on April 15, 2003 at 11:42 AM.]

Seems like a step in the right direction from AOL. Well, I've just emailed yahoo (and referred to this thread in case they want to visit ABW) plus done a whois lookup and emailed their registrar, joker.com . Seems the spammer's domain was only registered on Mon March 17th - Less than a month old.

Darn it, I don't believe it, I've just checked my email again and there are another 400+ of the same email coming through. I've set them to auto-delete now though.

Battling through theifware, keep=no, out of stock items, deactivated merchants and the jungle of great merchants and bad apples to try to make a cent.

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread