Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    I've been noticing an increased volume of Spam to fake, partial addresses on my domains.

For instance, one of my public e-mail addresses is shawn@velocitynyc.com

Now, I get tons of Spam at awn@velocitynyc.com

When I put awn@velocitynyc.com in a filter to kill all of that mail, it was also grabbing the shawn@velocitynyc.com

I'd imagine this is a situation, or it may become one, for many of you who also get all mail sent to any address at your domain. Any suggestions on how to beat this tactic?

Shawn Collins
    ClubMom, Inc.

http://www.affiliatemanager.net - tools and resources for affiliate managers

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Some computer spamm virus must have infected millions of systems. I get at least 300 spamms/day from named individuals with various random generated action titles like ...Let's do lunch, here's the info you request, please call me etc etc etc.

Choking off the entire e-mail list marketing industry and all merchant e-mails along with the spammers would be just fine with me. My business would pick up immensely. Hope Bill Gates -AOL -MSN -Yahoo and the ISP's stiffle the DMA members and make the spammers do some perp walks they so justly deserve.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Shawn, the only way NOT to get messages like awn@...... would be to turn off your "catch-all" on your email server. This way, you will only get emails sent to shawn@.... and not whatever@....

It makes a big difference. Now, if I could find some what to filter out all the stupid chinese spams I am getting.

Chris

----------------------------
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Backcountry Store, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com and many more.....

Just as an aside, a catch-all email address with a recycled expired domain is kind of interesting.

The great advantage with catch all is that you can have addresses like amazon@ and you'll know where the address has come from if it leaks out, so I do use these on some accounts.

But.. I think the answer to your problem Shawn is to set up a rule to exlude awn@ and NOT shawn@ - your mail software should be able to handle multiple filters if it's any good.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

There's a very neat solution for keeping a catch-all address but losing all the spam here:

http://www.email911.com/resources/ar...ictionary.html

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>But.. I think the answer to your problem Shawn is to set up a rule to exlude awn@ and NOT shawn@ - your mail software should be able to handle multiple filters if it's any good. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dynamoo -

I made that sort of filter in Outlook, and it was just grabbing any e-mail that had "awn" in it.

Shawn Collins
    ClubMom, Inc.

I just went into my host (Hostway) and they enabled me to set it up so that any mail to awn@velocitynyc.com will bounce back to the sender.

That should help.

Shawn Collins
    ClubMom, Inc.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread