http://www.msnbc.com/news/931205.asp

I'm guessing that the distributed spam attack on Doxdesk.com the other day was done from hijacked machines like these.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

ABW Ambassador
    This particular virus is double frustrating as the owners of hijacked machines who don't have any anti-virus software are completely oblivious to what's going on.

Normally I would contact the sender to let them know they have a virus and offer some advice on how they can get rid of it as, in the long term, I benefit from helping others by receiving less SPAM myself.

As this particular nasty forges all the email headers it's impossible to trace them back, so the problem continues to worsen.

PITA.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    My e-Stamp idea is still the only cure to spamm. No eStamp no delivery.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Boycott Microsoft until they fix their stupid software.

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

The Doxdesk.com joe job must have been done this way.. this indicates to that at least one of the parasite pushers is also into virus writing and spam.

I can't see that ordinary spammers and virus authors would care that much about Doxdesk.com. It's almost definitely a parasite pusher.. one who can exploit a trojan backdoor in multiple PCs at the same time.. i.e. a hacker.

This is a really worrying development.. just as it seemed that the anti-spammers were starting to lay foundations for winning the war, the spammers just prove that they're a bunch of criminals by doing this.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

ABW Ambassador
    @ Drewbert -

1. How would that help?
    2. When's that ever going to happen, seeing as how the vast majority of the PC's on the globe run on Microsoft operating systems and applications?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Well the Telemarketers ( first cousins to spammers) will start to flock to the internet taking to spam and popups like ducks to water.

Fri June 27, 2003 10:20 AM ET
    By Andy Sullivan
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Folks frazzled by unwanted telephone sales pitches started signing up on Friday for a free, national "do not call list" that will prevent most telemarketers from calling them at home.

The Federal Trade Commission's do-not-call list, which will take effect in October, should help Americans enjoy their private time without unwanted interruptions, President Bush said a few hours after the list was opened up for registration.

"When Americans are sitting down to dinner or a parent is reading to his or her child, the last thing they need is a call from a stranger with a sales pitch," Bush said in a White House Rose Garden ceremony.

Consumers can sign up for the list by logging on to (http://donotcall.gov) or calling 1-888-382-1222.

Telemarketers who call numbers on the list after Oct. 1 will face penalties of up to $11,000 per call, as well as possible lawsuits from consumers and state enforcers.

The telemarketing industry has thrived over the past decade, thanks in part to plunging long-distance rates and computerized dialers that allow sales representatives to reach many more customers.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=3002101

When you can get to the URL or tollfree number just sign up. As every avenue for the Ad Whores closes down the merchants will be forced to focus on advertising that does work and doesn't offend. That means running honest affiliate programs and paying commissions for sales.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    We've had a service like that in the UK for years - it's called the Telephone Preference Service.

It's free to join and it works - I'm on it myself (I hate sales calls).

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread