I've just had a "nice" experience with how annoying SPAM really is and is becoming.

I purchased a brand new domain name a week ago and set it up on my hosting account. I haven't used it yet.

However, I just went to the control panel for that domain (at my hosting company) and went to setup some e-mail accounts. What did I see in the main webmail account? SPAM! 14 SPAM messages!

But HOW??? I haven't even used the domain yet, haven't even checked the e-mail account yet, haven't even used/created any e-mail accounts for this domain (the "main" account comes by the default). I haven't even mentioned this domain enywhere!

I just got SPAM to not existing e-mails "webmaster@mydomain.com" and "info@mydomain.com".

Is now SPAM software searching WHOIS for brand new domains and sending SPAM to the most common domain e-mails?

Where will this take us?

YOURsoft affiliate software
    Join YOURsoft "affiliate program for affiliate software"!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Is now SPAM software searching WHOIS for brand new domains and sending SPAM to the most common domain e-mails? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I think that's how they do it--and it's not only sent to the most common emails! I've gotten spam to newly registered, undeveloped domains within the first couple of weeks, promising to "check my keyword ranking with the search engines". This comes to the email addy in the whois. It's not a "guessable" address, and I don't have a catchall set up, so their bot must be programmed to pull that info as well as the fact that the domain has been registered.

It seems to happen about 50% of the time when I register a domain lately.

~Revenue is King

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Some of those cheapo domain registration companies also sell off the new domain registrations to the list brokers. All freebee hosting companies do too based upon your signup e-mail.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Well I use GoDaddy for domains and paid hosting company which I trust so I don't belive this is the case here. But I belive you many do.

YOURsoft affiliate software
    Join YOURsoft "affiliate program for affiliate software"!

Tell me about it. I had just changed a contact email address and less than one hour, spam was hitting.

It just amazes me sometimes.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread