Someone has been sending junk mails (spamming) using my 2 accounts at hotmail. I have changed my passwords and secret questions, but still unsuccessful to stop it. From the undelivered mails and a recipient’s reply, the mails are as follows:

File size: 90K – 200K
    Subject: Re: Wicked screensaver
    Attachment: application.pif
    The file attachment is infected with the W32/Sobig.f@MM virus.

Anyone can help me how to fix it?
    Thanks

IRS

Don’t ask why the ball doesn’t come.

Sounds like a virus is probably spoofing your address. If this is the case there's not a lot you can do except wait it out.

Joey is correct. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it.

The emails are not being sent from your account, and the account has not been compromised. - The virus just makes it appear that the email is coming from your address, which of course means that any undeliverables or returns from people using programmes like mailwasher will bounce to your address.

Joey and Ulterior Motif,
    Thanks for your explanations. I thought there was a spy ware on my computer.

So nothing I can do, just wait it out. Today I have deleted more than 150 messages from System Administrator. I am worried that my account size only last in one or two days to reach the storage limit. I just change my mail address for CJ and plan the same for others. The rest, how do I serve complaints from recipients? Bad to me!

IRS

Don’t ask why the ball doesn’t come.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm getting more "returned" virus/spam messages now than actual virus/spam. The worst culprits in this whole fiasco are email administrators and users of mail-washing programs whose settings direct this type of email to be returned. Any knowlegable web-tech knows by now these return addresses are being spoofed and it is useless to "return" them. They should know better than to be returning this garbage to innocent victims, wasting their time and bandwidth.

Whether the virus perpetrator should be hanged is open to debate, but mail administrators who return this stuff should at least be flogged.

Wayne

I use hotmail also,

The way you can block them and never reach your inbox the email address that is not in your list you could filter it without them reaching your inbox.

Go to option click on Junk mail filter and read which one you would like to filter.

there is ways to block these spam through hotmail, but sometimes few will sneak in and just add them to your junk mail and set it up to delete it!

few function on "Option" in hotmail that you could fix spam not going through your inbox.

hope that helps!

------------------------------
    What does the COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commissions.
    Don't worry! Tracking is infected!
    ------------------------------
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

>> mail administrators who return this stuff should at least be flogged.<<

~raises an eyebrow~ steady on, NorthernStudio.

Viruses that spoof on this level are still a relatively recent event, and your average sysadmin, frankly, just hasn't got the time to research the latest virus, beyond what they need to do immediately to protect their own systems. Most of them simply aren't aware of the spoofing.

I keep a standard email in my drafts folder for these things. Takes care of any PR problems, and helps educate people - sysadmins and private users.

Personally, I find education goes a hell of a lot further than flogging.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread