What are the best ways to ensure a first time email is not flagged as SPAM? Here's what I came up with:

1. Relevant subject heading.
    2. No hyperlinks within the email.
    3. No attachments.
    4. Include personal contact information in footer.

Any other suggestions?

Stick to just ONE hyperlink in the mail - it's a bit worthless as a promotional email if there's nothing to click.

Tone down the promotional language in the email. Trigger words/phrases like "bargain", "special offer", "now only", "cheap" can count against you.

Don't use embedded images. Plain text is better than HTML. Don't use coloured text.

However, don't try to use techniques that real spammers do.. no keyword stuffing of random words, mis-spellings or other tricks. If it's legitimate marketing information, then keep it that way. It's far better to be accidentally blocked in a filter than to be reported as spamming!
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

My ISP is now blocking spam at the server, and it is about time. Almost everything is coming through flagged as spam. The funny part is I just got an email from them, and it was even flagged as spam!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Microsoft Ups The Spam War Ante Sept. 24, 2004

The vendor adds to its growing list of spam lawsuits one aimed at a service provider that hosts spammers.....By Thomas Claburn

Cheapbulletproof.com makes an offer that's sure to appeal to spammers: "We guarantee your website will not get shutdown!!" Microsoft is putting that claim to the test. Last week, it took aim at this "bulletproof" Web hosting company, filing a lawsuit against company owner Levon Gillespie and numerous John Doe defendants who allegedly utilized his services.
    The lawsuit is one of nine the Microsoft has filed against spammers in the past month. In less than two years, Microsoft has supported more than 100 anti-spam enforcement actions worldwide, about 70 of which the company has filed itself.

The suit is significant in that it represents a new front in the war on spam: spam service providers. "It's the first time we've taken action against a Web host hosting spam content," says Aaron Kornblum, Internet safety enforcement attorney at Microsoft.

"This particular Web host is providing a vital service to spammers," he explains. "He is giving spammers a place to host their content to sell their products and services. Spammers need a place to drive their customers to, and without these Web hosts setting up pages like these, spammers wouldn't be able to do business."

Microsoft's legal complaint alleges violations of the Washington Commercial Electronic Mail Act, the Washington Consumer Protection Act, the federal Can-Spam Act of 2003, and the Lanham Act (under which trademark claims are brought). The Washington State laws let Microsoft target those who assist spammers.

Kornblum says Microsoft is making solid progress in its legal battles with spammers, but adds that it's too early to tell how litigation will affect the spam problem. The company has seen a variety of outcomes in individual cases so far. These include default judgments, when defendants fail to appear in court, settlements, and summary judgments--in California this summer, a judge found the facts overwhelmingly supported Microsoft's allegations and ruled accordingly. Some defendants have declared bankruptcy to avoid financial and legal responsibility; others have elected to fight.

"We're trying to change the economics of spam," he says. "That's our primary goal in our enforcement efforts. We're trying to make spamming a more expensive proposition and to drive spammers out of the market so that customers and consumers can trust the E-mail that they receive."

Nice to see my taking action on Comcast brought before the FTC complaint committee reduced my spam load about 80%. At one point Comcast delivered 4 billion spams per day to it's subscribers.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

hye...i'm new ere.really wanna know is there any new technology or even ideas for filtering spam? coz after Sender ID has lost its battle there must be new innovations coming up.

A sniper bullet or bombing a basement full of spam servers sounds like a logical choice. Be much cheaper for Bill Gates to just employ assassins.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Be much cheaper for Bill Gates to just employ assassins.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill needs to add the Zap button to Windows. It sends 10,000 volts thru the spammer's server. I've wished for that feature for years.
    ~Ernie

hahaha...that really answer my question. come on guys, any new serious solutions please?

Mike:

Very interesting article. Thank you for bringing it to our attention!

Hopefully someday we will all be rid of spammers and be able to use the internet the way it was meant to be.

i guess the domain keys will bcome the main approach to stop spam after this right?

You got the domain trap and off switch exactly right. Unplugging those private domain servers in China -Nigeria -Korea and Russian & USA or Canadian basements is in process. You think the spammers can sue ICANN or the Feds claiming privacy violations

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gibberish:
    i guess the domain keys will bcome the main approach to stop spam after this right? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since Microsofts approach got roundly (and thankfully) smacked down, i think the lead contender is SPF, which validates that the said domain matches the ip the mail is coming from.

While this will not stop spam in its track, it makes it easy to filter. And the system is flexible for multiple domains for an ip, inluding remote domains etc.

Chet

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Hopefully someday we will all be rid of spammers and be able to use the internet the way it was meant to be. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Be careful what you wish for...the original "purpose" of the Internet was not to support business - it was a military and then largely educational tool. You'll still find some of the early adopters and net purists cursing the day business got hold of it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chez Noir:

Since Microsofts approach got roundly (and thankfully) smacked down, i think the lead contender is SPF, which validates that the said domain matches the ip the mail is coming from.

Chet <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Author of the SPF had proposed a new method called Unified SPF. It is a framework which supports one or more authentication methods specified by the system administrator.
    Unified SPF require senders and receivers to publish for and check 3 major groups of identities;
    i. host name
    ii. mail-from
    iii. Purported Responsible Address, which is a technique that checks the record against the most recent sender of the e-mail address.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chez Noir:

While this will not stop spam in its track, it makes it easy to filter. And the system is flexible for multiple domains for an ip, inluding remote domains etc.

Chet <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

juz thinking, while domain keys can assist filtering, can it be collaborated with any methods on stopping the spam? also heard that domain keys gonna integrate with SPF. anyone know how?

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread