Topic started to poll ABW users for thier opinion on Opt-In email.

1.) When you see Opt-In How comfortable do you feel that it is truly Opt-In?

2.) Would you or Have you subscribed to an Opt-In List.

3.) Is Opt-In Email Marketing the best alternative to Spam

Thank You for your responses in advance.

Mr. Magoo www.Magoo-Marketing.com (under Construction)

ABW Ambassador
    Mr. Magoo,

Spam is not an alternative. If you resort to such tactics you will lose your sponsors, webhost, and most likely even your isp.

Opt-in is a viable way to keep in touch with your visitors. It can make you tons of money as well.

Opt-in is the ONLY acceptable way to market anything via email.

(Also do not buy lists advertised online as opt-in) ((Anyone who opts into a newsletter certainly would not give permission for their addy to be sold in this matter))

Yeah, I imagine you were dreading jaybat answering this:

>1.) When you see Opt-In How comfortable do you feel that it is truly Opt-In?

Normally, I see "opt-in" in spam from sites I never heard of. In spamglish "opt-in" means nothing more than "we got your email address somewhere".

2.) Would you or Have you subscribed to an Opt-In List.

I have, not too often but I have.

3.) Is Opt-In Email Marketing the best alternative to Spam

If it's opt-in, it's not an alternative to spam, it's something completely different - legitimate email.

- I'm not in the biz so my comments may be completely without value but:

1. NEVER use the phrase opt-in. Like an article I read elsewhere that said not to say "this is not spam" because all spammers use it, I'd have to go further and say the phrase opt-in has the same VERY negative spammer connotations. Look at routine email you receive from any household name company - do they use the phrase opt-in? No, the only thing they include that's even close to that is unsub instructions.

Also, don't use the phrase "marketing partners". Since the spamglish dictionary defines that as "the people we bought your email address from" that means this is email the recipient never asked for.

Do include a line to the effect of "you're receiving this email because you entered our contest/requested information/subscribed at www.xxxxxxxx.com/sendmeemail.html.

2. More important than your subscribing procedures, make sure your unsub procedures work and include them in every email. If a person can't stop the email, then it's spam even if they asked for it in the first place.

And of course the obvious: give the subscribers a reason to stay subscribed. A newsletter that's nothing but ads isn't going to hang on to their readers, anymore than somebody who sends nothing but ads.

Give them a reason to want to read what you send.

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread