I am wondering if anyone has had success in gaining (and retaining) decent traffic by having a contest. I am not interested in doing one if it will only attract sweepers who will spend 10 secs on the site and never come back.

Thanks

Gayle

I never have had that great of results with contests. It drew a few extra visitors for me, but just briefly. I think it depends a lot on the contest and the site. I have heard of others who do well with contests. Best of luck.

Hi Gayle!! Great to see you here! I run a monthly contest and it has helped my traffic and newsletter list grow steadily. It especially helps if they can enter daily. You will have a small percentage that are just sweepers but I have found most of the traffic and subscribers I get, stay.

Have a Great Day!

Nikki
    FREEBIE JEEBIES

Hey Clickster, we've emailed before (mostly about Webmillion, which we both gave up on a long time ago).

Before I checked your profile and saw who you were, I was gonna say stick to prizes that relate as close as possible to your site - if you sell crocheting stuff, don't give away computer stuff. Unfortunately, you're kind of a special case - your site is gonna get all the sweepers (good and bad) no matter what you do.

That being said, I'd agree with daily entry, get people used to seeing your site but make it a simple entry, like email address only. People spending five minutes on a big ugly form that wants everything are less likely to add you to their list of sweeps. If they do add you, then hopefully after the contest they'll decide to move your bookmark somewhere more permanent.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FREEBIEJEEBIES:
    [QB]Hi Gayle!! Great to see you here!

Have a Great Day!

NikkiQB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the welcome, and the info, Nikki!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jaybat:
    That being said, I'd agree with daily entry, get people used to seeing your site but make it a simple entry, like email address only. People spending five minutes on a big ugly form that wants everything are less likely to add you to their list of sweeps. If they do add you, then hopefully after the contest they'll decide to move your bookmark somewhere more permanent.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Jay! Nice to see you.
    Your advice is good...daily entry would be the key. And the entry form would need to be on my main page.
    I am still in the "thinking about it stage," so all advice is welcome.

Gayle - I think you are always going to get sweepers since so many already use your site, you are going to have to stretch out to new ways of advertising your site to reach other non-sweepers I think. Your site is well known to sweepers, so the advertising you have already done has definitely reached them. Focus on other aspects of your site in your advertising besides the sweepstakes and contest to start with to pull in those other visitors you are wanting.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread