Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am just not getting the traffic I want. Submitted to the search engines, Startblaze, ExitExchange, newsgroups, (working on the banner exchange). Click throughs remain very low. I don't want to be a spammer, but it looks like the best option. Comments are appreciated.
    Thanks

ABW Ambassador
    I clicked the link in your signature and stared at a blank white page for AGES while it waited for something called "freenewsfeed" to load. I had time to count slowly to 15 and I didn't start counting right away.

Having something like that in any kind of exchange will get poor results because many people will click away before they even see what you've got.

You might find it helps considerably if you did some ruthless editing to 1) reduce your overall load time, and 2) avoid the all-or-nothing loading sequence.

Ethical considerations aside, if you don't have things like that working better, spamming won't do you much good anyhow! :rolleyes:

Elisabeth Archambault

I just can't believe spam works all that well. I personally never open the stuff. Does anyone? I either don't download it from the net or I highlight the first one and arrow down to real mail and hit delete leaving the spam never opened.

It's annoying but a small thing of only a couple seconds to delete the whole lot.

That's one reason why I don't understand the whole harping about spam.

I would think you would be lucky to have one in several thousand opened much less actually read.

How about well-targetted, nicely written newsletter? You'd get better results.

ABW Ambassador
    I would NEVER buy anything from anyone who spammed me as a matter of principle.

I think your problem is a total lack of keyword optimised product pages - your site will never appear high in search engine listings for particular products they way it's set up at the minute.

The exit exchange thing is a pain in the proverbial, and it's not going to win you the traffic you maight wish for. In my ecxperience all you get is page impressions, not qualified traffic, and you never actually get the full quota of impressions either.

Sorry to be blunt, but the answer is simple - more pages optimised for products.

ABW Ambassador
    When in doubt, cover your own ineptness by shifting the burden of payment to strangers?

Not a good idea.

If I ever receive spam from you - and it seems like if you spam I will... I will make sure to have your site shutdown. Then what traffic will you have?

Why not clean up your site, right now a quick look at http://tek1systems.com/ I think your site is some kind of ad for scrolling stuff - no idea what as it is too much for my eye to focus - but lots and lots of scrolling and movement.

Chet

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It's annoying but a small thing of only a couple seconds to delete the whole lot.

That's one reason why I don't understand the whole harping about spam.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It does become an issue when you are getting a couple hundred a day to your domain addys and it becomes hard to pick out your legitimate customer emails. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] They are getting sneakier and sneakier putting things like "Re Order" in the subject where I have to open them to see if they are from one of my customers.

I personally am now refusing to do any business with companies that I have received SPAM from either directly or through a 3rd party. And I definitely wouldn't refer any visitors to my site knowingly to a site that spams.

Elisabeth's suggestion about the site design is a good one.

How are your rankings with the search engines? You may need to continue to work with your page optimization. I noticed that your title really doesn't have any of your keywords in it. Basically just "Hi tech". You may want to consider consider some PPC search engines and maybe some newsletter advertising.

Don't give up yet. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] It would be a shame to find out your ISP shut your site down due to spam complaints.

ABW Ambassador
    Spam is not just an annoyance, in many cases it costs people money, not just time. ("Just" time?? - lots of room for discussion there!) Outside North America people often have to pay by the minute or by the bandwidth they use, rather than having flat monthly access fees, so your spam will literally take money out of their pockets. Hardly the way to win friends and influence people!

You got that right Elisabeth! It's really a pain when they come through my affiliate site email, but when they come through my ecomm site email it can really cost me money. I have to be so careful with my filters so I don't auto delete a real customers email.

Then there are the idiot spammers who get themselves infected with the Kletz virus and it goes out to their entire list. So I start getting 15 or 20 infected emails everytime I check my email. Norton starts working overtime taking up to 60 seconds to flag each one and my mail server winds up timing out. Happened to me yesterday. After sitting there for 20 minutes trying to retrieve email and then when it all finally came through it was all viruses from spammers and just plain ole spam I finally got so disgusted I left the computer and went and had a glass of wine.

ABW Ambassador
    Great topic! As was pointed out it costs time, as well as money. Not just for the people that pay for their connection time, but it also costs the host and ISP's. That mail has to go through someones servers, and it will go through many on its trip.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I will make sure to have your site shutdown. Then what traffic will you have?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You will run into issues with your host. Most will shut you down in a heartbeat. There is often times discussions among hosts about spammers. I keep a list of names and domains on my wall of people I will not host because they went through 10 other hosts and spammed from them.

If your host is spam friendly, there are other implications to keep in mind. Some ISP's will block mail from your domain and from your IP block. So mail from all of your domains would be blocked. If you are on a shared virtual server, this can cause problems for other clients for that server. This is why most hosts will shut you down first and ask questions later.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BestLittleFreeHouse:
    Then there are the idiot spammers who get themselves infected with the Kletz virus and it goes out to their entire list. So I start getting 15 or 20 infected emails everytime I check my email. Norton starts working overtime taking up to 60 seconds to flag each one and my mail server winds up timing out. Happened to me yesterday. After sitting there for 20 minutes trying to retrieve email and then when it all finally came through it was all viruses from spammers and just plain ole spam I finally got so disgusted I left the computer and went and had a glass of wine.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For a situation like that, if your isp has web based email you can go in to that first and do a lot of deleting. If not, you can get a product like Mailwasher (it's free, there are others) that will retrieve headers to include showing you which emails have attachments, which are likely spam, those you have whitelisted as friends and other stuff. It'll also let you preview the first X number of lines of the email if you're not sure. You can delete or bounce at least most of the junk that way before getting your email for real.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I keep a list of names and domains on my wall of people I will not host because they went through 10 other hosts and spammed from them.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    WTG Tom! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you are on a shared virtual server, this can cause problems for other clients for that server. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Something similiar happened to my brother. His email got blocked by a blacklist because the hosting company he was using had an open relay. All of a sudden he couldn't send any email. :rolleyes:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>you can get a product like Mailwasher <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

jaybat, thanks for the info. I was using MailWasher, which is a really cool program. But I was getting conflicts with Eudora and it kept crashing Eudora. Probably just because my puter is old and by the time I had MailWasher, Eudora, Norton, and ZoneAlarm all going plus whatever else I was working on, it just RAM'ed out on me. But hopefully I'll be getting a new computer soon. :::yeah:::

My hosting company sucks, really. They were good way back 4 years ago when I signed up with them, but haven't kept up. I have web based email, but it doesn't work very well. It does some really strange things. But I'm in the process of switching over my sites to Tom's company, and I should be able to get a much better hold on the spam issue. ::another yeah:: As soon as I get Network Solutions straightened out with the way they've messed up my account so I can get into my account manager and switch over the new ISP addresses! But MailWasher is an excellent program. And it even recognizes some viruses.

>by the time I had MailWasher, Eudora, Norton, and ZoneAlarm all going plus whatever else I was working on, it just RAM'ed out on me.

More likely resourced out depending on your OS but no reason you can't run MW, do your thing with it then run Eudora to pick up the mail. Especially with oddball situations like you had with that virus, wouldn't have to do the run/close routine that often for those situations.

For that matter, no reason to run Norton at all if you end up deleting all the emails with attachments.

Well, I use a text email program so I don't pay much attention to any of that virus stuff (unless I really believe grandma wants me to run that britney.exe attachment of her nekkid).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Well, I use a text email program so I don't pay much attention to any of that virus stuff (unless I really believe grandma wants me to run that britney.exe attachment of her nekkid).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I'd feel very nekkid myself without Norton running. But you're right, I didn't think about turning MailWasher on when those started coming in. I will next time, and there will be a next time. Maybe I was looking for an excuse to go have that glass of wine.....

I have to agree that search engine optimization is the way to go. And to risk being Flammed by the responses to this next comment, Spam is an alternative, just not a real good one.

Obviously, a lot of people make a lot of money with it, otherwise spam would not exist.

www.magoo-marketing.com (under construction)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrMagoo:
    I have to agree that search engine optimization is the way to go. And to risk being Flammed by the responses to this next comment, Spam is an alternative, just not a real good one.

Obviously, a lot of people make a lot of money with it, otherwise spam would not exist. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Drug dealing is an alternative, just not a real good one.

Obviously, a lot of people make a lot of money with it, otherwise drug dealing would not exist.

And of course that second line justifies drug dealing, right?

I'd guess the comparison goes a lot further - the few at the top of the drug dealer or spam chain might be making money, but the ones at the bottom taking all the risks are dealing all the junk they can just to make their next trailor payment (assuming they have a trailor).

Messed up the quoting.

[ 07-14-2002: Message edited by: jaybat ]

JayBat,
    It is must make it easier for you to feel good about yourself by assoiciating spammers with "trailer trash".

Keep assuming that only poor, stupid people use this form of marketing and you won;t be living in denial at all!

The last comment was Facetious in case you didn't catch that part.

Mr Magoo

>It is must make it easier for you to feel good about yourself by assoiciating spammers with "trailer trash".

I'd prefer there was no associating spammers with anyone or anything - especially my inbox.

Nothing about spammers directly or indirectly that makes me feel better about myself or anything.

There is only one possible use for spam - if a company is spamming, it says they're desperate for sales and not the kind of company a consumer would want to get involved with. I had a list for a while of spammer businesses so I could make sure I didn't actually buy from them later by mistake. The only problem with that concept is

1. spammers mostly spam for sites nobody has ever heard of.
    2. I'm guessing they change their names fairly often as they get bad word of mouth.
    3. The list got way too big.

I think comparing people who try to make a living by sending unrequested advertisements with drug dealers is a bit of a stretch.

I don't think there are too many people who break into your house and perhaps kill you because they aren't getting enough spam to keep withdrawal away.

If you want to be taken seriously, keep it real. The issue is:

1. It is annoying and interferes with getting to your real mail as expeditiously as you would prefer. You probably lose a good five or ten minutes a day. No wonder your love life has taken a turn for the worse. No Time! I don't blame you for being ticked about that one.

2. There is a hidden cost in that all the folks well off enough to own and use computers have to pay for the messages traveling around the internet. People at work have to spend some time deleting the stuff so one would assume more jobs are created and the cost of these additional employees is added to the price of products we buy. No doubt that is where the money for my trip to Rome went.

I wish that all these people who are so emotionally disturbed about getting unwanted advertising would share a little of their concern about
    AIDS is going to orphan 25 million

or
    Knee surgery performed on more than 300,000 Americans each year to ease arthritis pain is worthless,.

or some other issues. How often do you see them dancing up and down about the junk mail that fills their regular mail box? Isn't it as bad? Actually it kills trees and fills up my trash can. So, I think it is worse. And, yeah, I have to sort through it to be sure I don't throw out my "real" mail, too.

Hang 'em from the highest tree...

[ 07-14-2002: Message edited by: SSanf ]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you want to be taken seriously, keep it real. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK

My ISP and several others in my area have cut off all email traffic, including legitimate, from a certain ISP. I have family who I contact using email and no longer am able to do so. Over the years I have become somewhat attached to my family. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

The ISP refuses to hunt down, discipline, or eliminate spammers and so is now becoming isolated, taking those who are using their service with them.

I have contacted all involved and this is going no where and changing ISP's for any of us is not an option. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

As an interesting side note, the offending ISP was made ISP of the year for my state.

Ridiculous.

I think the real underlying issue is corruption. Fortunately, in the United States, one of the new priorities of the F.B.I. is to hunt down corrupt public officials. The hunt for corrupt corporate officials is already under way. This should be quite amusing.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I understand and sympathise with your frustration. But, you certainly do not need to be cut off from your family. Just get a Yahoo e-mail account and send them the new e-mail address.

No, of course, you shouldn't have to. But, hey, any port in a storm.

Web based mail is best, anyhow. Less chance of getting a virus.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>No, of course, you shouldn't have to. But, hey, any port in a storm.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exodus absolutely should not have to do this. Spam is a big problem, and is even getting bigger. ISP's are blocking mail, even legit mail. Users have to sift through a ton of crap to get to their legit mail. E-mail marketing (not spam) used to be a great way to advertise. When the effectiveness of banners was dropping, advertisers were looking for an alternative. I recall at one time, e-mail marketing campaigns were 15% effective. Spammers caught on to that, and we are seeing a drop in the effectiveness of e-mail marketing.

As for Exodus getting a free e-mail account, you should see the spam that comes into my hotmail account. I don't distribute the address, but it certainly gotten around.

Ssanf...take a look at this screenshot. This is what I see daily on one of my e-mail accounts. Give me ONE good reason why I should have to sit through this. Give me ONE good reason to tolerate it.

Do you know how much productivity is lost because of spam. Would you like to know what its like when somebody spams a support e-mail address and 12 pagers go off. This is the reason we changed over to an on-line support system. Yes we are still paged, but nobody will ever figure out the address to it.

As you can see, it is not a matter of simply hitting the delete button. Spam is a problem and it should be illegal. Spammers should be prosecuted for it, especially when they have to forge their identity to send you spam. Also for claiming that you will be removed if you respond to an invalid e-mail address. There are plenty of companies out there that can provide legit mailings where people truly opt-in to receive the mail.

Oh look....it's now on the second e-mail address

Let's take a look on at one of these spams

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Dear Internet User,

$19 gets you 25 MEGS - "The Planet's CHEAPEST Hosting!!"
    ====>> FOR ONE WHOLE YEAR !!!!

GO NOW to >> http://www.********.com

The ********.com Domain Hosting ISP has all the
    website hosting features that any beginner or advanced
    user needs, and at the very highest-value available on
    the internet today!

AGAIN, Our webhosting system has more features and more
    functions than EVERY higher priced competitor hosting system.
    Designed from the ground up to be efficient and highly
    reliable, it has the power and user-friendliness that is
    essential for the beginner to advanced user. Our system
    even has a user friendly web interface guru that makes
    administrating your domain a breeze!

WHY PAY MORE!!! Get yours today for only $19 a year
    at http://www.********.com

This email is NEVER sent unsolicited. THIS IS NOT SPAM.
    You are receiving this email because you EXPLICITLY signed
    yourself up to our list with our online signup form.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now, why in the heck would they send this to another webhost...It's like this all day long.

You have nobody to blame but yourself - if you hadn't EXPLICITLY signed yourself up, you wouldn't be getting that stuff.

After all, it isn't spam, it says it isn't.

I saw an article recently somewhere for emailers in ref to spam - it said to never use the phrase "This is not spam" because all spammers use it.

My favorite tho is the use of "marketing partners" - which translated from spamglish means "the people we bought your email address from".

OK, in the spirit of being helpful, try this
    My Own Email -- FREE Email with PERSONALITY!!
    I signed my granddaughter up for this over a month ago and she has gotten not even one piece of spam in her mail.

Of course, she has NOT joined any groups, signed up for any offers, posted to any bulletin boards, signed any guestbooks, put it on any web pages or done anything else with the address that basically says "Here I am. Mail me." She has only used it for personal correspondence.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> that basically says "Here I am. Mail me."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Ssanf, you just don't get it, do you?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast