Does anyone here use offline advertising to draw traffic? What type and what sort of results have you seen?

Thanks
    ~

ABW Ambassador
    Just posting to keep this thread alive, really, as I have a couple of sites that I think would do very well with an offline approach.

My problem, however, is this: these are exclusively US sites and I have no clue whatsoever where to advertise them. There was a very good thread in here that pointed to a cheap offline classifieds thing, but none of the names of the newspapers meant anything to me at all. Consequently, I didn't pursue it.

Any advice appreciated, as always.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Marky,

Check out http://www.ecola.com

You will need to search, but it's a fairly complete database...i used to use it in my print advertising days...

Marky, believe it or not, I used to have fairly good results advertising my web design business in a neighboorhood weekly with just a $10 a week classified.

It's a good place to test; people tend to read them and are not overwhelmed by 20,000 other ads in the same publication as they would be in a city-wide paper.

~

[ 07-16-2002: Message edited by: eaglefire ]

That's a great link Andy. Mark, my suggestion for offline classifieds would be to do some general demographical research to identify rural or urban areas where your product or service may be of interest, then use the Local News by Area Code listing on the site Andy mentioned.

ABW Ambassador
    I'd forgotten I posted here. Thanks for that link and your advice is sound, Eaglefire. However, I am still a little wary as I can't tell if , for example, the Santa Cruz Sentinel is a free paper, if it is a popular paper with my target audience or if no-one reads it at all.

I guess I am just going to have to jump in feet first.

If you follow the link Andy gave you, you'll be able to pull up the websites of the respective papers. From their respective websites, you should be able to pull up their circulation and distribution. All newspapers generally put that info on their websites for prospective advertisers. That will give you an idea of how widely read the paper is. A little eye-balling should give you some idea of demographics - blue collar, white collar, small town, urban, sub-urban, rural, income levels, and any cultural factors.

What I usually do is run a small test in the classifieds, buying the smallest ad I can for whatever the shortest length of time I can get away with. For example, as I mentioned above, there is a local weekly free paper where I can advertise for $10. The ad goes on their website as well. I place the ad, if necessary with a "test" URL, and watch my stats carefully on the day the ad is to run to gauge the response.

{

[ 07-20-2002: Message edited by: eaglefire ]

ABW Ambassador
    How about getting your car wrapped. I know one time i applied to have mine wrapped for another company and they were paying $400 a month. Now that i have my own site, maybe i should wrap my car with my own site. You'll definetly get noticed. Something like http://www.autowrapped.com/Full%20wrap.htm
    Theres all kinds of sites like this

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: johnniebry ]

ABW Ambassador
    Fred (professor) originally posted this and it seems like a great resource. I will be testing it in 3 weeks.
    http://www.nationwideclassifieds.com/main/index.html

- sorry fred your affiliate link is now invalid.

Chet

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    Here is another list also that may be useful. http://www.nationwideadvertising.com/

LOL Johnniebry. I wouldn't go that far but I've often thought of a bumper sticker for my car. If you live in an area with lots of traffic and have an easy URL it could work. Problem is that now I'm doing this, I don't drive anywhere.

Bumper stickers are too small. I have letters made for the back window by a local sign company. Costs 20 to 30 bucks in your choice of colors.

ABW Ambassador
    I've got the decal thing happenening on the sides of the back window in My Jeep Cherokee. It definitely gets attention.

You get people honking....(perhaps its my driving and not my site.)
    Everyone and their dog asks what is it. Especially Gas Jockeys.

I think it helps. I think over time it definitely pays for itself.

I'm thinking of adding another site onto the back window now........for all those bumper huggers I hate so much.

http://www.cnaads.com/ and http://www.ifpa.com/ are a couple of other nationwide classified ad package sites as well.

Larry Wentz
    www.AffiliateNetwork.org www.MultipleDomainHosting.net

If you decide to go the bumpersticker route check out http://www.makestickers.com/
    They are quick and do a good job!

Quote: I'd forgotten I posted here. Thanks for that link and your advice is sound, Eaglefire. However, I am still a little wary as I can't tell if , for example, the Santa Cruz Sentinel is a free paper, if it is a popular paper with my target audience or if no-one reads it at all.

I guess I am just going to have to jump in feet first.

I live in Santa Cruz: the Santa Cruz Sentinel is a very popular newspaper. markymark what theme is your site? I can let you know if your site would be popular in the Santa Cruz Sentinel

Jason

Santa Cruz, CA 95060

Hi All! Along the lines of the bumper stickers et al types of marketing, I've done two thing that I've found effective and cheap! Mainly, just my time. So for what they're worth---

I run a cigarette site where I sell leading brands for $17.95 a carton. I live in an area where smokes sell for $40-$45 a carton! So I just had business cards printed up that says "Cheap Smokes", the price and the URL. Then I just pass them out to every smoker I see! Works great! I even encourage all my affiliates to do the same if they live in a similar area.

The other thing is that for other sites, I print up, using a graphics package, a trifold brochure. I bought a machine, I think at Office Depot, that you just drop a page in and it tri-fols it for you. I've done 500 in less that an hour -- printed and folded. Then I buy some lucite brochure stands at Office Max about 5$ each. Then I go to non-competitve local retailers and ask if I can put one in their store. THey almost always say Yes! One note, print stickers with you name and phone to place on the lucite stands. You'd be surprised how other people will snatch or use your stand if it's left empty!!

Hope this was a little useful...

Jimd
    www.StardateSmokes.com
    jimd@stardatesmokes.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Good tips Jim, but for your own welfare don't try to sneak those displays into the discount tobacco shops or their buddies who own the Dollar Stores.

To get affiliates (not shoppers seeking a biger discount) you'll need to clarify your introduction to the affiliate program. Post the commsiions -minimum payout level and how often it is paid.

"Please note that the Affiliate Program is designed for referrals, not as a vehicle to purchase personal cigarettes cheaper. While you may purchase your personal cigarettes through your affiliate link (and therefore receive a substantial discount), there is a monthly minimum of 20 cartons sold monthly as a result of customers referred to our store through your affiliate website to qualify and be paid for the referral commissions. Please see our terms and conditions on the Affiliate application to see all conditions that apply to the Affiliate Program. You can review the application by entering the store and selecting Affiliate login. If you do not have an Affiliate login ID, select "create new account" to view the application."

On your Miva shopping cart put a link in the navigation bar and bottom HTML footer back to your main page.

WebMaster Mike

Ditto what EcomCity.com said about clarifying the affiliate terms. Saying that, "Such referral fees will not exceed 4%" does not tell me what I will be paid. For all I know, it could be a tenth of a percent. I realize it's not likely to be that low but I'm using that to show you what it looks like from this side. I would never sign up with such vague terms. Reminds me of that old, "Make up to XX%" that's used to entice people into rip-off programs. (keywords are "up to")

That aside, I am interested in becoming an affiliate if you can spell out just what the referral fees would be.

Ray

Finally figured out why people spend $2.00 apiece on those
    little bottles of Evian water. Just spell it backwards for the answer.

Thanks guys for the great input. Someone, at an affiliate directory, posted the same paragraph about private shopping and 20 cartons per month as well.

So I changed that completely and made it a positive by turning it into a Buyers Club for those just interested in buying for themselves and keeping the Affiliate program (without the 20 carton rule).

Webmaster Mike: Are you suggesting that the basic terms (payout, minimum and frequency be on the Web page so it can be viewed before going into Miva? Also, if, as you suggested I put a Home link in the Miva footer won't the affiliate link be lost?

Oh and BTW I never approach anyone who sells cigarettes, but interestingly enough all their employees want my card [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]!

Ray: Glad to hear you're interested. Here's the deal" 4% always no "up to" (I'll be removing that this AM), $25 minimum payable monthly (~15th) to your PayPal account. Does that work in general and/or for you?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your input!

JimDoc
    jimd@stardatesmokes.com
    www.StarDateSmokes.com
    Marlboros-$17.95, Affiliates Wanted

I have a bunch of pens and post-it notes. I hand them out instead of business cards. I always leave a pen at restaurants when I eat out. I try to give or send "care packages" of those promotional items to business associates and press contacts. I also leave pens laying around lots of other places: malls, stores, hotels, etc.

I haven't been able to track the results that I see from it, but I like to think that it helps.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread