2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    From Adnews.com:

"AOL Bans Third-Party Pop-Ups

NEW YORK -- America Online said Tuesday that it will no longer accept third-party pop-up advertising or merchandise sales on its flagship AOL service. The Dulles, Va.-based AOL Time Warner Internet unit also said that it will make it easier for consumers to find and change their marketing preferences, and opt-outs will no longer expire on an annual basis.

"By ending third-party pop-ups and merchandise sales we are giving our members what they want, which in turn will make AOL an even better vehicle for our advertising partners," said AOL chairman and CEO Jon Miller.

The new policy will take effect as the company works through its inventory of ads and merchandise promotions it is already committed to run. AOL said it will continue to use pop-ups on a limited basis to notify customers about key features on the service and special offers from AOL Time Warner.

AOL is not the first Web property to ban pop-ups. This past summer, iVillage announced plans to eliminate pop-up ads from its sites, including iVillage.com and Women.com [IQ Daily Brief, Aug. 2]. The New York-based online women's network made the decision after a survey revealed that 92.5 percent of visitors to iVillage found pop-up advertising to be the most frustrating feature of the Web. The study also indicated that while pop-ups can generate high brand awareness, it is not always in a positive way.

--- Ann M. Mack
    Published: October 15, 2002 Adnews.com

AOL Banns Popups, so now their members will wonder where the darn Popups are still coming from when they log-on. AOL will have to post how to get rid of those 3rd party Ads too. The parasites and Dupers like Gator and the Adnausium folks at Double-Click are just seeing the tip of Backlash Iceberg to stupid & greedy advertising industry wanks. Consumers, hating your in the face crapolla, download Adblockers and Popup killers in record numbers. Next comes the ISP spamm blockers and millions becoming aware of these hidden payloads in all freebee software.

Hello Ad-Aware. Get braced to clean some machines of TopMoxie -Gator -Morpheus and a slew of other BHO "affiliate Applications". Even AOL is forced to play the commission game by normal affiliate rules. At any given moment less than 1% of the world's population could care about what you have to sell or your silly brand. So the Ad industry thrives at p*ssing off the other 99%.

WebMaster Mike

AOL/Time Warner woes continue as they have used the Enron approach to creative accounting. They today hadd to disclose they overstated 180 million in Ad revenues over the last year. Not only does Ted Turner and I look alike ..but we think like twins.

From Reuters news:
    "Describing the changes in AOL's business, Case said he believed that online

ADVERTISEMENT

advertising, once the principal engine of AOL's profits and growth, would become less important than other sources of revenue, including subscriptions, fees for additional premium services and selling goods and services to members online.

He confirmed a new emphasis on online commerce was behind the decision to hire Mr Miller, formerly an executive involved in a home shopping channel and online retailing.

Some angry shareholders have called on Mr Case to resign as the company's share price has slumped, while he has also faced criticism from within his own company from CNN founder Ted Turner over advertising abuses."

Maybe the world's largest media/advertising base has learned something from the small time affiliates. Less advertising, but more pay-per-performance targeting of shoppers interests, makes for more money and happier users at the end of the day. If AOL and their partners are listening I still have my normal consulting fee arrangement with you.

WebMaster Mike

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    And those consulting fees for Mike should be addressed to ElbowCreek. Oh, wait, tell me I didn't just hijack your commission! Sorry! It was accidental, Mike, a programming error, really, we'll form a committee to look into it.

I Will FOCUS On My Goal

If it gets big enough ElbowCreek I'll start an affiliate program and make you the first one for your cut. Last time I got paid by AOL was for doing the plan to affiliate enable all their users to earn fees on their internal merchant sales and new account signups to offset the monthly ISP charges. Even made the neat signup page and application form for the project.

I'm usually a one shot wonder with the big guys since the management contacts consider me too dangerous idea wise to influence their climb to upper management. Take the idea and throw me a fish and distance me from the limelight is more like it. Ted Turner once told me on the Eastlake CC golf course that we were both unemployable. Give us 6 months in any business and "we'll be stepping on toes to get heard" trying to change things for the better. That's probably what attracted him to "Hanoi Jane" ..she was a radical who had to be heard.

WebMaster Mike

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Great news, Mike -
    Our committee seems to think we can stop accidently overwriting your consulting fee address with my address in two or three months! Hope you don't mind if I keep what I got, though: I have needs, you understand.

I Will FOCUS On My Goal

It should be enough to fool with you over since AOL takes at least 90 days to cut a check from time of implementing the ideas. PS; don't sign the non-disclosure non-compete agreement.

WebMaster Mike

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread