ABW Ambassador
    I called CJ UK and discussed about direct debit, which they told me was not a problem [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

As I have several different currency accounts it would be better for me to be paid in USD (exchange rate :eek [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] but I was told that Direct Debits can only be made to a UK Currency account (GBP).

I would be really interested to find out the exchange rate used by CJ (i.e. dollar earnings against pound transfer) and the transaction date to compair against standard bank and currency exchange companies.

ABW Ambassador
    I use it, but I've never actually bothered to check the exchange rate. I'll get back to you...

Not sure what you mean but does this help?
    http://www.xe.com/ucc/

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks but no it didn’t, I already know today’s exchange rate. I would like to know tomorrows though [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

What I am trying to find out is if I am better off getting a cheque in USD and paying for the clearance, or get a direct debit in GBP that is subject to CJ's exchange rate.

It really depends if the transfer is made from the US or the UK office (as there will be higher clearance fees from the US). If they transfer funds from CJUS to CJUK and transfer from the UK account to the affiliate (which I figure they will need to do at this moment), then they will be subject to the exchange rate on the day it was transferred, otherwise they will again lose money on the exchange rate.

I think that if you are getting a small payment then DD will be better as the exchange rate difference will not be too high, but a larger payment might not yield the same results.

I just want to find out what that is before I commit.

[edited for clarity, I hope]

[ 07-09-2002: Message edited by: Wayder ]

ABW Ambassador
    Wayder - I made a note of my last three payment figures in USD and I'll check how much was deposited in GBP when I get home tonight and get back to you.

I would assume that the transfer to your account is made from the UK office - but surely CJ themselves are best to verify this one?

Incidentally I bank with Halifax and, despite them warning me to the contrary, they didn't charge me a penny when I banked a USD cheque from Linkshare [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I'll get back to you later...

ABW Ambassador
    Jeez - I must have been checking my stats too often :eek: It seems like I've been doing this affiliate stuff forever, but I've only got two payments I can verify :rolleyes:

Truth is I have been trying to do it for a long time, but I only started making any money in March of this year.

Anyways, on the amount deducted from my account on 18.4.02 I got an exchange rate of 1.477, and on 20.5.02 a rate of 1.479

When I checked the exchange rates for these days at http://www.xe.com/ict/ it shows rates of 1.447 and 1.458 respectively :confused:

The question is when is the exchange rate applied - when the funds are deducted from your CJ balance or when the cheque is cut? The only people who can answer this are CJ themselves.

ABW Ambassador
    Hi,

That’s my point exactly, its about 1.5% ~ 2% commission. If you are earning $50 then that’s cheap, but if you are looking at $1000 +, that’s different. If you are seriously successful that’s a LOT of money.

I would not jump to any conclusions yet, because most of the online exchange rates are based on US data and are not really relevant to either us, or the UK bank rate. You also have to remember that you probably got tourist exchange rates.

If the transfer is directly from CJ, then I think 2% is too high, especially taking into account the direction the exchange rate is going.

Were the examples you gave from cheque deposits or from CJ direct debit deposits?

FYI, I have been writing sites for some time, but I have just started affiliate selling. First links went up on the 18th June and I have earned $40.40 to date, whoopee… nd I check my stats every 10 minutes [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] just checked again and it hasnt moved.

PM me if you don’t want to post all this stuff.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread