Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Okay, now we have our own forum I'd like to start by asking opinions from you good folk out there on UK affiliate programs.

I'd like to get a chat going on what's available and what kinds of experiences people have had with them - good, bad or indifferent.

And who knows - maybe if this forum really gets going we can get representatives from some of those programs to contribute also (or is that the whole idea [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

Personally I have struggled so far to find anything decent from UK providers other than CJ's offering. I think the UK is way behind on this one.

What do you guys think?

ABW Ambassador
    ......and can you sell their STUFF outside the UK considering the VAT, which I don't really understand.

Well, good ole Amazon.co.uk is doing OK for me at the moment. I'm selling a lot of electronics stuff. Well actually, not a helluva lot because most of my traffic is US-based. But you can run the US and UK links together pretty easily.

I really haven't gotten too excited by most of the UK CJ merchants though.

Adam,

The VAT doesn't apply to people outside the European Union.

It's similar to say, Florida sales tax. It doesn't apply to people in Texas, right?

The hard part is actually convincing the merchants to give you a commission! They actually think they are doing you a favour.

For example, magazine commissions with the merchants on CJ range from 15% to 30%. The UK magazine merchant offers 5%

Have you taken a look at Affiliate Window's offerings? Maybe you will find something there...

ABW Ambassador
    There's a reasonable selection at www.dgm2.com, including a couple of my clients.

ABW Ambassador
    I have dipped my toes with a single merchant at Affiliate Window, and I'm not too happy so far.

The merchant in question keeps taking weeks and weeks to confirm my commissions and I've just taken their links down for the second time.

AWIN have been very supportive but I'm just waiting to see if the will actually carry out some positive action to either bring the merchant into compliance or kick them out.

Thing is, as far as AWIN are concerned your agreement is strictly with the individual merchant, so their not really a Trusted Third Party, simply a middle man.

I came across ukaffiliates.com which has some impressive-looking merchants like Comet, MVC, William Hill, RAC, AA, Woolworths.

I've submitted an application, but don't know that much about the programme, but..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Top brand name merchants.
    It's FREE to join.
    You're paid in POUNDS.
    Receive 1 cheque for ALL commissions earned. Join as MANY as you want.
    NO exclusivity required. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know if you can do product links though.. that's the sort of thing that seems to generate clicks.

ABW Ambassador
    Dynamoo,

you should be using dgm2.com and not ukaffiliates.com - same company, but dgm2.com is the new tracking system. The old UKAffiliates thing no longer works.

You can deep link to any page and any product for pretty much any merchant at dgm2.

They pay by BACS every three months, though.

ABW Ambassador
    Hey marky
    http://www.dgm2.com [without the comma] is a blank page with only a place for userID and Password

PLUS some SPAM at the bottom!

Am I missing something?

ABW Ambassador
    Oh, maybe I was wrong and you do still sign up at UKAffiliates.com . But when you want to add links etc, you definitely log in at dgm2.com .

You noticed that spam too, then. I've been trying to find out which SEO was responsible for that utter rubbish, but so far no one's saying [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I suspect they did it themselves. Top class, isn't it.

dgm2.com looks like the back-end, like our friend qksrv.net [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Dynamoo, I hear what you say about ukaffiliates.com having some impressive-looking merchants, but is it worth promoting them?

If I were going to buy a TV on the net I'm sure there are places I could get a better deal than at Comet's website. If I were going to buy from Comet then I may as well go and have a good look at the available kit at the store, which is a five minute drive from my house.

I also find that most of these high street brands pay out fairly small percentage commission rates [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

The one thing I can see in it's favour is the single cheque.

Well, I actually bought my washing machine from Comet on the web because that way you don't have to deal with spotty thick shop assistants.

I was really thinking about cooler stuff though like MP3 players and the like.

ABW Ambassador
    Only some of them are spotty and thick - that's usually the weekend and evening staff.

Some of them are cunning and sell you extended credit and warranties and stuff and generally seduce you with offers of free toasters and jug kettles. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    While I agree with Microdot from my own perspective when I'm shopping online, Comet are regularly named checked as a top 5 UK merchant over at a certain UK affiliate forum. Won't post the URL, but the consensus opinion is that they convert very well.

Just a FYI.

ABW Ambassador
    Does anyone have an affiliate link for black puddings [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Waitrose (and Tesco) are affiliates of Tradedoubler.co.uk who I didn't know about before I started to look for black pudding. But ehy seem to be limited to electrical, gifts etc. I have to say that I can't find a black pudding anywhere, but ukaffilates.com did turn up simplyorganic.net who have sausages [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Hmmm....perhaps there's a niche there for a black pudding merchant [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Anybody fancy partnering with me, or setting up a consortium to vend black puddings to the world? :eek:

I don't know about selling black puddings, but you can get a few things at http://www.expatshopping.com, who are a merchant at CJ [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Oh yes, there they are under "Scottish Products". However, it's not available for export to the US. Which is not suprising really when you consider what it is [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Don't they just call it blood sausage in the US?

I'm sure I heard that phrase on the telly at some time.

ABW Ambassador
    No, we call it SPAM

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

OOp! Sorry! I'm not supposed to be here! Accidentally surfed in from "active topics", didn't see the "airstrip" heading.

:rolleyes:

[ 07-10-2002: Message edited by: Deelz ]

A well if you want something really disgusting there's Marmite. Don't get me wrong, I actually like Marmite but under no circumstances should you think about how it's made while eating it.

ABW Ambassador
    Enlighten us do, dear Dynamoo [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

You don't have to worry about me - I wouldn't eat the stuff if it made me grow a ten inch willy (I'll just settle for the 9.5 I've already got [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

ABW Ambassador
    I'll second that.

Whats in Marmite thats soooo disgusting?

[edit: spooling mistok]

[ 07-10-2002: Message edited by: Wayder ]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast