Well.. I guess the question is who's any good if you want to host in the UK?

I used an outfit called UK Shells which is based out of somewhere just south of Brum. They're tech support is awesome, but the bandwidth is a bit stingy.. I pay £12.50 a month for 2.5Gb plus punitive fees if I go over. They've got good support for hosting games, bots, IRC and that sort of thing though.

I'd thought about 1&1 who's package looks good - I'd like to grow my traffic more than it is at the moment.

Any other orchids or onions?

ABW Ambassador
    1&1 aren't a UK host, mate, they're in Holland. There's plenty of negative feeling towards them on various forums, but it seems to be lots of moaning over nothing. Haven't used them, so can't really comment.

I use Ghoulnet.com, WebFusion, internetters.com (I have a sneaking suspicion that their servers aren't in the UK, but they keep denying it!) and am happy with all of them. Ghoulnet are about the cheapest with the most bandwidth, though.

ABW Ambassador
    Dynamoo
    I host about 10 sites with 1&1 and think they are brilliant. Not a sinlge problem since I signed up over three years ago. I would highly recommend them. But they are not UK based as MarkyMark says. I actually thought they were German, but I bow to Mary's superior knowledge here.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I bow to Mary's superior knowledge here<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um, I have to say that my name isn't Mary...well, except on alternate Thursday's, but that's private, ok [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>internetters.com (I have a sneaking suspicion that their servers aren't in the UK, but they keep denying it!) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Vancouver, British Columbia, I believe [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks, TH, how did you find that out ?

I knew they weren't in the UK, as I have a referrer script that is sychronised to the clock on the server and it is always a few hours behind GMT.

ABW Ambassador
    Whats funny is I got that information from running a trace route. I just ran another one, and it is coming up something different..now showing Washington DC. Any traceroute program will do to find out information like this. You can also use: http://www.visualware.com/visualroute/livedemo.html

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markymark:

Um, I have to say that my name isn't Mary...well, except on alternate Thursday's, but that's private, ok [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, Marky, I guess my keyboard k is a bit faulty.

Hmmm... I had a look at 1&1 but they want to control everything including my domain names. They host in Germany and I have to say that tech support struggles with the English language. But they can't transfer .biz and .us domains and frankly I don't want all my eggs in one basket.

I read some negative things about Fasthosts too.

For legal recourse reasons I want to host in the UK. I'd also like to have a bucketload of bandwidth, multiple domains and be able to have a seperate registrar.

I did a bit of research and donhost looks good, especially the Unix reseller plan for £470 inc VAT PA for 20Gb transfer. Any opinions?

ABW Ambassador
    I use DSVR and have been satisfied with them for over a year now.

Tell 'em I sent you.

Markymark
    If they are in Vancouver British Columbia they will be 8 hours behind GMT.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Gordon.

Dynamoo, before you go with Donhost, I would strongly advise you pop over to webhostingtalk.com, do a search on 'Donhost' before doing anything else.

Funnily enough I did that already [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Seems that they're very picky about the content and the guy who owns it is a bit stroppy, but looks like a good technical service now after some teething troubles.

I use Host Europe (was Magic Moments) and this year (so far) has been a complete dog!

Dec 2001 - they convinced me to upgrade the server and transfer all my files to a new one.

April - Fun time, our old server was ressurected by them - so we had two versions of our site live at the same time. It made the discussion board very interesting. Also they did not believe me for two days and lots of rantic phone calls.

June - Massive power failure in their London data centre, site down for 8 hours. I thought this was next to impossible.

July - Sent me a bill for £500 for excess bandwidth. They accused me of using more than one IP address and running up the bandwidth on the wrong one. After 5 days they agreed we only had one dedicated server and that my monthly bandwidth was over but only by £80. Still waiting for the credit note, but they were straight off the blocks for the revised charge.

Last night - They decided once again to blow the dust of our old server and put it back on line. Great, just before we go on hols.

Do you think they are hinting at something?

I have been looking to get hosted in the US as most of my visitors are there anyway. I asked about this in another part of this board. Does anyone have any positive / negative experience of using a non UK based hosting company?

ABW Ambassador
    GaryS
    I joined Alwayswebhosting.com a few months back and am very impressed by service and response times to e-mails (less than an hour mostly).

Not sure if they have everything you want, but well worth a look.

FutureQuest has fanatical support, and Tom from TH Media seems to run a pretty good show too.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread