I received a letter this morning from "Data Protection Agency Servcies" - it was a final demand stating that my business was not registered and that unless I took immeadiate steps I could be fined upto £5,000. It also request a £95 fee for registration.

Having got over my fright, especially as it said I must be registered if I receive electronic correspondance (email !)or ran a website. I looked closely - no telephone number on the form (strange). A weak logo and no named officers. A mention of long delays in processing (government departments telling the truth???!). Scam I said.

I then checked the website of the data protection agency and came up with this url

http://www.dpr.gov.uk/donotbemisled.html

Needless to say my correspondant was one of those listed.

Copies of all my documents have been sent to the Local trading standards officer.

'I am not young enough to know everything.'
    - Oscar Wilde

I've seen these before, but not for a couple of years.

Incidentally, in my site's privacy statement I always say something like:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>We do not collect any kind of personal information that can identify a living person. There is no information we store that is subject to the United Kingdom's Data Protection Act.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Меня зовут Динаму

3. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread