Hmmm... one of my sites is doing well and is sucking all the bandwidth out of my reseller account. It's fairly expensive for me to go over quota, so I'm looking to move the site off to a single domain account with about 20-40Gb of bandwidth per month.

Any suggestions? I'd prefer a Unix/Linux host and it must be UK-based, but other than that I'm open to ideas...

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

Check out www.oneandone.co.uk

The servers are physically located in Germany, if that isn't a problem.

Their 'professional' package allows 40 Gb bandwidth at a reasonable cost.

Recommended.

If you are considering a dedicated server, I can recommend DediPower. I've been with them for a while now (after being recommended by a friend) and have found them to be excellent.

“There are only two settings, stun and kill...it would be best not to confuse them.”
    --Malcom Reed

The 1&1 plan looks good, but I'm afraid losing by "Britishness" as far as Google.co.uk is concerned. I'm running a .co.uk site, but I've never been 100% certain about how Google works these things out.

Actually the Dedipower one looks good too, but pricey for a single domain. Does it allow unlimited domains on the server?

________

Hi, my personal experience with google.co.uk is good 'n' bad. The good bit.....i'm top ranking for tons of stuff I never thought i would be !!! the bad bit....I have a UK football site that's a .com and google.co.uk doesn't list it unless you do a "all the web" search, a bit of a pain as a lot of people will always select "UK pages" if they know the site is a UK one. As for hosting..i'm with Lycos...god knows where they are based.......the moon at times !! So from my limited experience....i always buy .co.uk but hosting location is not so important, so it seems, with google.

Errr.......hope that helped.......and if anyone has any more thoughts about decent linking (see my last post) let's hear them.

Malc

ABW Ambassador
    Moo
    I host with one and one and my .co.uk sites do well in Google UK.

1&1 are awesome - I always sing their praises in these forums.

Zero down time and great server speed.

Anyone who has a chance would be mad to not consider them carefully.

I wrote a review at:

http://ez-search-engine-optimization...ne-and-one.htm

The link at the bottom is obviously an affiliate link so go straight to www.oneandone.co.ukj if you want to avoid that trap

1&1 RULE BABY!!!!

Download Site Map Creator Today

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Actually the Dedipower one looks good too, but pricey for a single domain. Does it allow unlimited domains on the server?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have an Ensim control panel with 100 domain licences that cost me an extra £200 or so (there is a monthly charge option), but there are probably other options. I found them pretty helpful when I telephoned them. They also often have clearance servers at pretty good prices.

“There are only two settings, stun and kill...it would be best not to confuse them.”
    --Malcom Reed

My experience with Google.co.uk is that they seem to ignore the domain extensions and work out geographic position from the server IP address (at least they do for my sites!)

--Malcom Reed

I agree......but.....my football site is hosted with the same peeps as the others, listed with webwurld - same as the others but most definately does not show up on a "UK only" google search...and I swear that Aldershot FC is in the UK !!

So google must assume that a .com is not a UK based site..and therefore does not return it...I don't agree with anything i've just written...but I'm stumped.

Malc

'Moo

go with oneandone but DO follow PerfectG's affilate link...

I use them on his recommendation and I don't regret it.

ABW Ambassador
    Radegast
    I am so glad you are having a positive experience with 1&1 too. I have been with them for several years, and they really are the best. Technical support is difficult for me as the UK number is too expensive for me to phone, and e-mail takes 24 hours or so, but hey. I hav eonly contacted them a handful of time in those years, and they have always sorted me out.

I NEVER recommend anything I am not 100% satisified with, 1&1 have exceeded all expectations.

Just to let you know. I used a script which spiders my sites every hour. If the site is down, it keeeps tabs.

1&1 are almost never down. I went with alwayswebhosting for a while to get another IP address, but they were down up to 40% of time (if I remember correctly). their 99.9% guarantee means nothing when all they do is refund the percentage of downtime - about $3 a month. Just think of how much money you can lose. Also when spiders come, you can find your sites disappearing when your site could not be reached.

There use to be a big fan club for TH Media, but they could never keep their servers working and they cost oto much.

1&1 wont disappoint as long as they provide what you want.

http://oneandone.co.uk

ABW Ambassador
    Damn, just checked, and wouldn't you know it? 1&1 have put my web space up AGAIN. Just when I was getting use to 1200MB, they pu tit up to 1600MB. Now it is at 2Gigs.

Still only 600 free sub-domains allowed though. What a bummer!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    There use to be a big fan club for TH Media, but they could never keep their servers working and they cost oto much.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Tom got a raw deal - he runs a good hosting service and has his own very good reasons for reducing his presence here, but that doesn't alter the fact that oneanone is a good option for most people. I was tempted to go with THmedia, but couldn't really justify the extra cost over oneandone. (Since I don't depend on support too much.)

Actually I took some advice from elsewhere and negotiated a good deal with Catalyst2 for a 40Gb/month plan. Very helpful. Servers are located in London Telehouse right next to LINX. 30 day money back deal guarantee, and not too expensive if you go over quota (I think it's just £1/Gb).

________

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread