Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Well, I'm in the UK but I've hardly looked in Airstrip One (and it doesn't seem to get a lot of activity).
    I've been an affiliate marketer for nearly six months and so far I've built sites aimed at the US market.
    I think I might try a UK-specific site.
    Anyone having any luck targeting the UK market specifically?

ABW Ambassador
    I'm also in the UK and realised I've been doing the affiliate thing now for a couple of years.

Like many people I started off by putting a few banners and graphical links on a couple of content sites that I run, but made very little for months.

Then I decided to build a sales site and, if that didn't earn me some cash, to give up on the whole thing.

I'm happy to report that my efforts paid off, but very little of my earnings are from UK traffic.

I put this down to a few things:-

1. There are fewer UK merchants for the products I'm offering.

2. UK merchants tend to offer much smaller commissions.

3. The UK population is obviously significantly smaller then the US.

For all of these reasons I'm gonna carry on targetting the US, even though I get more traffic from Google from UK surfers.

ABW Ambassador
    I live in the US, but I am from England. I believe that the UK merchants just don't have the experience to really have a successful affiliate program, yet
    Most affiliate programs are US based, and most companies that you are going to promote cater to the US market.
    However, the UK market is big enough to make money on. Yes, the market is smaller than the US. However, it is still considerable.

Due to the restrictions placed on Internet access in the UK, ie being way too expensive, not as many shoppers buy online. This limits the opportunities for an affiliate.
    This may have changed, as I have been in the US for almost 3 years.
    I just think that the UK will take longer to realise that the Internet is a great place to shop.

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

Thanks for the input.

Yes, I realised the potential market in the US is much larger and for that reason have been targeting that market.

The UK market would be an interesting challenge.
    Worth an experiment.

I think things are changing here - Internet access used to be expensive, but more and more people are using broadband now, or flat rate dial-up accounts.

It will be hard to find good merchants, though.
    (I mean, good merchants with good affiliate programs...)

Yes, I have some sites and pages aimed at the UK market, but I guess I only pull in about £150 per month from the UK.

Even though the market is smaller, there's a lot less competition. Trouble is though, the UK programs that I tend to use such as UKaffliates and Tradedoubler don't generally have product links, which is a PITA.

However, between CJ, Befree and the other networks there's quite a range. Comet is a good looking merchant at CJ, and then there's Argos and all the Great Universal vendors (like Kays).

What you *can* do, however, is build a product page for a US merchant as bait, but include a general link to a UK merchant for UK visitors.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

Thanks 'Moo

Think I'll have a good look at what's around for the UK.

Airstrip One seems like a depressing place to hang around - probably the 1984 connection...

adult sites sell everywhere by the way, no products to mail, something to consider

Ah well you've got UK specific smut too. Ann Widdecombe nude, that sort of thing.

________

ROTFLMAO

Ann Widdecombe nude....what a terrible thought...

dynamoo, you're an evil person, putting that picture in our minds

You should see my Alter Ego.

I was wondering what people opinions were of the various UK-specific networks.

UKaffiliates is OK and sometimes has product link capability. I just started with Tradedoubler this week and made a sale on my third click Affiliate Window doesn't look so good. And of course Amazon is pretty much the same wherever you go.

________

ABW Ambassador
    So far I've only dipped my toes as far as UK programs are concerned.

I'm presently only running links for a couple of sites on Affiliate Window, and I'm a little less than impressed.

You getting your commissions is dependant on the merchant changing them from Pending to Approved, and there doesn't seem to be a fixed schedule to it.

Contacting Affiliate Window when Pending commissions have been thus for a long time seems to generate little response

Like others I started two years ago in the US market. Huge market relative to UK, better commission rates (anyone else find most UK commission rates pathetic?!). I buy all webhosting there too - more bang for your buck as they say.

I'm also with UKAffiliates, Tradedoubler and Affiliate Window. They all produce a small amount but nothing to get excited about though to be fair, I haven't put as much energy into promoting them as the US merchants. Tradedoubler merchants can take an age to approve applications. Otherwise I've had no problems with the above UK networks - so far

"Can I sell the sh*t and will the merchant pay?" ~ Leader

microdot

I can utilise your UK traffic with the Egg card or another financial product. say £10.00 per issued card

Edward Green

I not been on here for weeks as I mostly hang out at dedicated UK Affiliate Forum, however I am most upset at what reads like people running down the UK affiliate market. Can I point out that if you put little effort in then you will get little rewards back, so shouldn't be a surprise if your not trying that you make nothing.

I would like to point out that I have been an affiliate since around 1996 and my first big money maker was a US hosting company called Adgrafix that later got bought out by Hosting.com so I am not anti-US program, just wanting to stand up for the UK side of things

>Anyone having any luck targeting the UK market specifically?

Yes making thousands of pounds every month.

>1. There are fewer UK merchants for the products I'm offering.

What you offering, because at last count I know of well over 400 UK Merchants, someone must be a fit to what you offer.

>2. UK merchants tend to offer much smaller commissions.

Yes some do but many don't shop around for a good deal. I could point out a load of crap US deals.

>Due to the restrictions placed on Internet access in the UK, ie being way too expensive, not as many shoppers buy online. This limits the opportunities for an affiliate. This may have changed, as I have been in the US for almost 3 years.

LOL Yes it's changed it's not expensive at all, if folk can't afford to go online at the current prices then I would worry if they have any money to buy anything anyways.

>Yes, I have some sites and pages aimed at the UK market, but I guess I only pull in about £150 per month from the UK.

Gee Wiz, your the UK Moderator and you can only make £150 a month. I am not putting you down as I know many a person happy with that, but if that was all I made per day from the UK market I would just give up.

>I was wondering what people opinions were of the various UK-specific networks.

Like everything they could be improved but on the whole I have good points about them all, I actually use and promote merchants on all the big, small and new affiliate networks in the UK, so much choice.

Heck even CJ UK is much better to deal with than CJ US, staff much more friendly and have more time for smaller affiliates.

Anyway I sad my piece, feel much better now. Ok start the debate

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cjshoppingnetwork:
    I live in the US, but I am from England. I believe that the UK merchants just don't have the experience to really have a successful affiliate program, yet
    Most affiliate programs are US based, and most companies that you are going to promote cater to the US market.
    However, the UK market is big enough to make money on. Yes, the market is smaller than the US. However, it is still considerable.

Due to the restrictions placed on Internet access in the UK, ie being way too expensive, not as many shoppers buy online. This limits the opportunities for an affiliate.
    This may have changed, as I have been in the US for almost 3 years.
    I just think that the UK will take longer to realise that the Internet is a great place to shop.

http://www.cjshoppingnetwork.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree with pretty much everything you say!

I suspect you're still thinking about the UK as it was when you left, rather than as it is now.

Internet access in the UK is now much cheaper. Most ISPs have flat rate monthly fees, so you don't pay for the cost of the call. Prices are similar to what you'd pay in the US.

As a percentage of overall spending, more money is spent online in the UK than it is in the US. The last figures I saw said that 6% of all the UK's consumer spending was done online. The US equivalent was something like 1.7%.

All the top UK online stores have affiliate programs. There are hundreds of UK merchants with European affiliate networks, in addition to the hundred or so with CJ.

Some still have a long way to go, but the best UK affiliate programs are as good or better than their American equivalents, with higher conversion rates making up for lower commission rates.

Maybe you have to know the market to be able to sell to a certain country. I set up a site aimed at American shoppers, and although it's very similar to my UK site the American one earns around 80% less per visitor than the UK one. I use the same traffic building methods and sell the same kinds of products, but I just don't earn the same commission.
    Of the £10k I earned last month, over 95% was from UK merchants.

The UK market is a niche.. that's not a bad thing, but merchants are limited and often the commission rate is pretty poor. On the other hand, niches are what this game is about.

________

The UK market is NOT a "niche". Online shopping is as established in the UK as anywhere else in the world.

Merchants are not limited. There must be over a thousand in the UK including all the independents.

Often the commission rate is poor for UK merchants. But often it's not. You can say the same thing for US merchants.

There are many affiliates making five figures a month just from UK merchants.

In fact as an affiliate I think it's probably easier to earn more from UK merchants, because there are less affiliates in the UK.

ABW Ambassador
    One thing which you can't get away from is the fact that there are more people online in the USA than the UK.

Bigger audience = more sales.

Many of the UK programs are for big stores like B & Q and Argos. Why on earth would I shop at the Argos website and wait x days for delivery when I can take a 10 minute walk and come home with the product?

More to the point, if I know I' going to buy from Argos why would I traipse through some obscure affiliate website to get there?

"Now we're sucking diesel!", as an Irish friend of mine used to say.

I'll definitely start looking into the UK market.

OK, so it's a BIG niche. I wasn't referring to it in a way to talk it down.. if you consider the GDP of the UK and its high level of internet access, then it's quite a market to be exploited.

By niche, though, I do mean out of the mainstream, and the mainstream is the US market. If you want to promote UK sites you have to enrol with different affiliate programs, register different domain names, understand the market and generally behave differently. Some of it is understanding the marketplace, knowing which names are trusted and which are derided.

The rules are a little different for operating in the UK market, and the competition is different too.

I've said this elsewhere though.. where are the good German and French affiliate programs? Or Canadian ones? The UK is the best of the rest outside of the US, but apart from Amazon I can't think of very many merchants in those countries.

________

ABW Ambassador
    Sucking Diesl? What's that mean then?

Vin Diesel?

________

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by microdot:
    Sucking Diesl? What's that mean then?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never quite figured it out, but it means 'Now we're getting somewhere...'

Sucking Diesel = big engine sucking hard on the diesel = lots of unstoppable speed n power..don't stop me now..as Freddie would have sung !!!

As for the US n UK thing.....I do both...but agree....USA has a tad more people per square inch..and i'm not fussy whose money I spend down the pub Tradedoubler is very neat n tidy and i've found the email response time is about 1/2 a day, i like them.

Befree has some crap looking font issues i.e. on my PC the links are purple text on dark purple backgrounds...shoot the webmaster, but they do have British Airways and Lastminute.com so I'll stick with them. CJ is pretty close to being perfect for newbies and experts...and Amazon.com is yummy...but a bit like AOhelL in the fact it all looks the same to Joe Punter.

Malc (selling sand to the Egyptians and Snow to the Eskimo's)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast