ABW Ambassador
    In a recent post on this forum, specifically this one the forum moderator, namely Dynamoo, saw fit to warn the participants against 'topic drift'.

I was a bit taken aback by this at the time but, not being prone to kneejerk reactions, dismissed it as unimportant, particularly as it was late and I was tired.

My path has crossed with Dynamoo's on a number of occasions and our exchanges have always been friendly, supportive and usually mutually beneficial, and thus I am confused by what initially appears to me to be a slight over-reaction to the organic development of the conversation thread.

In my opinion most 'conversation threads' have an organic quality about them as that is the nature of human conversation.

I also accept that tight focus on the particular topic being discussed can impact on the value of each particular conversation thread.

Having had chance to think about this I thought it was a topic worthy of further discussion.

Taking cognisance of the moderator's 'warning' I have started a new thread specifically for this topic.

The originator of the thread was looking for anyone with experience of Affiliate Window with a view to opening a program with them. Taking on board the limited number of posts to date by this member I formed an opinion that they may also be using this forum to recruit affiliates to their program - my opinion, nobody elses.

I saw fit to take a look at this guy's site and was disappointed to see a toll-free number displayed prominently on most, if not all, of the pages (I didn't look at too many pages so I may be wrong).

I saw fit to point out why I would see this as a problem, i.e. a possible source of commission leaks. I thought this might prove useful information to the merchant looking to recruit UK affiliates and, in fairness, part of my post was taking an opportunity to vent a little of the frustration I feel at the number of merchants who seem to want to have the cake and eat it.

I am reasonably confident in the assumption that most affiliates would take this type of information into consideration when considering a merchant program.

I am therefore confused as to what constitutes 'topic drift' and how it can be avoided. As far as I am aware this merchant does not have a dedicated forum on these boards in which I could raise the issue. Thus I saw the existing thread as the only place to post.

Dynamoo - I am not looking for an argument, nor am I saying that your action was right or wrong, but I would be interested in any further comments you may have on the matter.

And anyways, it's about time AirStrip One saw some serious debate

microdot,

From this side of the pond, it look like Moo said "warning - topic drift" because he was drifting from the topic with his post about smartengine, not warning anyone.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    If that's the case then I will apologise profusely for my oversensitivity (I think that's a word), don the hair shirt and hide my reddening face in shame

Guess we'll have to wait for the Moo-Meister to put in an appearance.

(And thus the only spark of thrusting debate at Airstrip1 was unceremoniously snuffed out...)

Warning - topic drift

damn, my epc continues to amaze me

ABW Ambassador

You gotta excuse the moo anyways. He is one of them Dmoz people. lol

ABW Ambassador
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

Talk about stabbing myself in the foot

ABW Ambassador
    Where is Moo tonight anyways?

Here I am, been on the PC for over three hours, risking imminent divorce and he 'aint even turned up!

Tsk!

'ello.

Yes, I was warning that *I* was doing the topic drift which was kind of naughty being a moderator. I wan't criticising anyone apart from myself

Busy sort of day. Just finished moving a warehouse today in my Real Life job, getting ready for a long drive to Cornwall tomorrow morning and managed to turn over $930 in revenue. Just need that extra $70 somewhere.. hmmm.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

ABW Ambassador
    Sorry Moo!

Donning the hair shirt and removing my 'overreaction chip' as we speak

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread