Hi All

I'm a newbie here and have just soft launched my site. It has many merchants particularly for the UK market, such as Boots, Allders, Dixons, Mobile Phones, Tescos, Amazon UK. All are offerring FREE shipping in Dec.

Take a look at [URL Removed]! It really only takes a minute to shop!!

[This message was edited by Haiko on December 09, 2003 at 09:15 PM.]

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    It's a banner farm, with no real focus.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but unless you've got some way of having hundreds of thousands of surfers somehow magically arrive at your site so that 0.1% see a banner for a product they're looking for, and buy via your click, don't give up your day job.

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

"But Jimmy had fancy plans, and pants to match"

Ooh yeah I've gotta agree with Drewbert. How are you going to get eyeballs to look at the site? There's no particular reason for visiting and thre's no content other than the banners.

The thing is.. if I want to buy something online from Boots, I'll just go to their website. However, if I'm looking for a Christmas gift for my wife, I might start by doing a search for "christmas gifts for women" in Google or something and that's where your affiliate site might come in, if you themed your pages and content to look interesting.

If it was just a question of putting up a few banners then I wouldn't have to work so hard on my sites

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

This was my approach...still got a heck of a lot of banners ......but has a ton of local information too.....catches people from a lot of angles that way...as Dyn said...you need to optimise as best you can to get people to consider YOUR site and not the companies site...and for the record you can get ranked higher then the company..which is kindy handy in a $£ kinda way.

Malc www.easyadverts.co.uk

Hahaha
    Couldn't agree with you more.. Soowwiie... forgot to mention that I am still undergoing the design/logos etc...

So the layouts and categories have not yet finalised, still concerntrating on looking for good merchants and good affiliate programs.

Any suggestions welcome!!

Cheers

"Only takes a MINUTE to shop!!"

I'd suggest looking at merchants that offer direct product links and then build up themed pages using those. That sort of thing seems to work quite well.

________

Thanks Dynamoo

I thought about placing products on the site, and often you'll have to update on a daily or so basis.

Will this be automatically done on the link, or normally the site owners write a script to update their own site? As I'm not familiar with database languages - what would you suggest using?

"Only takes a MINUTE to shop!!"

Well, yes you'd have to keep the pages up to date, but maybe review them on a monthly basis unless you get something that's really attracting traffic.

On the whole I'd say that handcrafted HTML is better at attracting the interest of search engines than most data feed sites.

There seem to be two ways of generating datafeed sites.. one way is to build a database on the server using something like mySQL and import the data into that. Frankly that's too complex for me, and I'm never satisfied with the results from the point of view of search engine optimisation..

..so I go for the alternative and slightly less elegant approach of generating static HTML pages from the datafeed. You can do this in pretty much any programming language you like, all you need to do is read in the datafeed file (normally a comma delimited CSV file) and output product pages and index pages. Glue some HTML on and you have a page. PERL seems to be a popular (and free) tool, or you could use Visual Basic or similar. I used QBASIC (circa 1991) for a site.. not really recommended but I still haven't learned PERL enough to write my own scripts!

But really the easiest way to start is to copy and paste product links. I'd do that first, then concentrate on site promotion. Worry about the complex stuff a little later!

________

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread