My best merchant at TD has been Crocus, but this year I've noticed a drop in the conversion ratio.

Compared to the equivalent month in 2003 - 2004 months have all had reduced conversion ratios by between about 1/3rd and 2/3rds, but on average around about a half.

I don't have any other equally sucessful merchants at TD to compare with, but has anyone else noticed a similar drop?

It's not my site as this drop is only with TD - other merchants and networks are not any different. The stats are significant as clicks are from 2 - 3 times greater in 2004 than 2003. I'm working ever harder to send clicks for the same rewards.

I've emailed the AM (or department?) at Crocus, but received no reply for nearly a month, today I emailed TD as to why my conversions are down.

There might be a part to play in that they only have one action referral, so repeat customers don't earn even if they click through my site, though that seems unlikely as traffic is up so much. Or could it be that TD is getting comfortable with the parasites?

Needles to say I'm moving links over to other merchants where possible, but it's rather puzzling for what was such a good earning merchant.

Hi Paul,

I've noticed dramatic drops with other merchants at TD too, I'm begining to wonder like you are.

I'm not one for starting rumours...but the old 'CJ.com' switch seems to be happening...you know...let's just turn tracking off for normal affiliates for a few deays etc...but then again TD earns when we earn so that would be counter-productive for them.

Either way...it could just be the summer holiday get-away..and things might pick up now the kids are going back to school.

Interesting that it's not just me that see's a drop in sales at TD.

Malc - www.gadgets4kitchens.co.uk
    Adverts

I'm noticing similar drops across the board at TD. July was horrible and August turned in another poor month - about half to a third of what I'd expect based on previous months and the prior year. Where I used to get multiple sales per day, I now average less than one per day. Yet overall traffic is up. I'm hoping that September gets back on track.

Sorry to disagree - But TD is currently seeing an increase in sales for me the last 2 months. This is in conjunction with me removing a lot of links to spyware free networks.

So from here, things are on the up.

Its just getting the correct payment from TD, that's the hard part at the moment! One minute you get it, next they take it back.

I've got about three merchants I do any volume of business with.

Two of them are good earners in an EPC sense, one has always been a poor one. The shifting about I've seen looks pretty normal - some are up, some down.

However, TD *is* about the last parasiteware friendly place that I can think of, even CJ seems to be taking a more proactive stance. It could be parasite activity.

Oddly though, elsewhere I'm getting good traffic and low conversions, or even low traffic and mysteriously high conversions. I think it must be the funny weather
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

My change in TD conversion ratio is long term and constant so can't be blamed on any short term fluctuation. Every month this year has been down on the equivalent month last year. Traffic is up so earnings are about the same, but would have been over twice last years if the conversion was stable.

August stats are almost exactly half of August 2003 except that click-throughs are over double.

No reply from TD or Crocus, so I'll just move links wherever possible and keep an eye on it in the future - pity I used to like TD.

Crocus is one of the worst designed Merchant sites I have seen for a while, used to promote them but conversion rate was well down. It’s something to do with their colour scheme and navigation. It’s not very appealing and is not what people are expecting to see.

You build a decent website with good layout/colour/info and the browser clicks through to Crocus and sees a shocking blue website which just puts them off purchasing.

Overall TD sales are still on the up.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You build a decent website with good layout/colour/info and the browser clicks through to Crocus and sees a shocking blue website which just puts them off purchasing.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

(Checks site in question)

Personally I like it. That's hardly the blue I expected from reading your description! It's nice and calm...although it is a bit hard to read with the text being blue, too.

Unfortunately for my tired eyes, white/very light backgrounds do convert better.

For this one I'd just make my site such that Crocus's site was an improvement. Not *too* ugly, but there shouldn't be a design competition going on with the merchant, either.

There are a lot uglier merchant sites than that one, and some of them are truly hopeless...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    It's too bad so many are seeing a drop in TD conversions. People used to speak so well of them! I always thought that if I expanded into the UK, TD would be my first stop for a UK-based network...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

It’s a site with such a big brand that you would expect a better quality design and colour scheme to convert visitors to buyers.

It just doesn’t instil the confidence to convert when you send traffic even though it has good content and you can’t get a bigger name in gardening in the UK than our Mr Titchmarch!

I would have though it would have looked better in green!

I buy all my plants etc from Crocus..must admit web site looks a little 'dark' but I've spent £100's with them over the years.

Malc - back from Dartmoor..not the Jail I might add !
    Adverts

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread