ABW Ambassador
    Here's the response I got from FindWhat this morning, regarding their use of WhenU. I'd like some help from folks on this board to round up some URLs showing that WhenU is a lot more than just some program that people eagerly buy!!!! I especially want info about the ways it sneaks onto people's computers as part of bundled downloads.

Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 09:46:09 -0500
    Subject: Re: and WhenU

Greetings Ms. Archambault,

Thank you for your feedback. We have passed on your concerns to the top
    executives in our company. We do understand your position, so, per your
    request, we will put your account on hold.

Please keep in mind that WhenU does not alter a Webmaster's site, and
    the pop-ups are in fact the User who downloads after
    purchasing WhenU. We cannot support a position that says, in effect,
    Internet users should not be allowed to customize the way they surf and
    find e-commerce opportunities on the Web.

Once again, thank you for your time, please contact me directly if I can
    be of further assistance.

Kindest Regards,

Valerie Levesque
    Client Services Consultant
    Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. EST
    Saturday 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. EST
    1-888-882-3178 or 1-941-561-7229

Me again. All help appreciated here, to compose an effective response.

Elisabeth Archambault

Elisabeth, sounds like when-u must make some good money for Hmmmm! I think you can show them all you want and it isn't going to matter any. It all comes down to they are making a buck.

Please keep in mind that WhenU does not alter a Webmaster's site, and
    the pop-ups are in fact invited

Ummmm, I haven't invited them to my site, has anyone else here. I think the only way that findwhat is going to rethink this is if enough people stopped using their ppc service. It would have to be massive though. They are my biggest supplier of traffic but if everyone else was willing to put their listings on hold. I would be also.

ABW Ambassador
    Well, if everyone waits for everyone else to stop using, then this will never work. I have already stopped funding my account.

I received a similar email from Ms Levesque. The main points of my reply were that the traffic from Whenu is of low quality, and that I feel they should allow advertisers to opt-out of it or else get a discount do to its low quality.

Another guy there also emailed when they noticed our account had not been funded for over a week, so I will email him as well.

ABW Ambassador
    Elisabeth -- here's my response when Pete N told me they were simply delivering quality traffic to my site:
    You're NOT providing high-quality traffic, you're associating MY web site and business with a predatory advertiser. You're also taking the opportunity to charge for clicks that I may have received for free from various search engines such as Google.

And even if I wouldn't get charged for those clicks (although I assume you're not giving them away), you are still associating MY web
    site with scumware. Or, you would be if any of my search terms were still online with FindWhat -- they're not and they won't be until you terminate the relationship with WhenU.

You may be willing to risk FindWhat's reputation as an outstanding resource, but I'm not willing to risk mine and I will NOT allow you to take that risk for me.

I never heard back from Pete N after that. I did turn on one of my search terms to drain my account. When it was drained I heard from my "account rep" (someone I had never heard of before) informing me my account was low -- I emailed him a copy of my correspondence with Pete. And I've not heard back from him (the account rep) since then.

And I've not added a penny to my account, nor will I. And yes, it is hurting my sales. But that's life in the big city.

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Cedric ]

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Pete's response to my concerns.....

Tom, is in no way associated with the functionality in WhenU that you do not like. We are simply providing them with search results in response to user queries.

Please call me to discuss.

Pete Neumann
    Vice President of Business Development
    12751 Westlinks Drive, Suite 3
    Fort Myers, FL 33913
    vox 941-561-7229
    cel 941-822-8447
    fax 941-561-5948
    toll-free 888-882-3178

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    St Clair Shores MI.
    I personally do not use the FindWhat PPC keyword search engine for my Malls. I do however manage 7 accounts there for clients who all agreed that FindWhat is a haven for scumware/parasiteware vendors. They paid good money to be listed in the first 5 results only to find their preferred PPC engine allowed ShopNow/Whenu to overright their listings or POPup a special promotion when a visitor landed on their pages.

This activity also increases the bid amounts for regular FindWhat customers since the POPup by is at a lower price per keyword and often blatently shows the competitions offers. Basically the site owner pays Findwhat for a click that becomes a impression/banner for his competitor jumping out of the bushes. The NET result to FindWhat and other keyword placement services is thta the likes of ShopNow/Whenu will dilute their marketing efforts ..not help them.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread