With all the scumware going on I have decided to redo some pages. How do you tell if a merchant is using scumware and what is the best way to avoid it? What is the best way to block it out? http://www.mailordering.com/jewelry.html
    Gerry

Gerry,

All the merchants on that page are SAFE!

The delay in updating the blacklist is because now that affiliate managers have been alerted to WhenU and have been given time to make a cognitive decision they can not bring action for an Official Boycott!

WhenU inserted many companies into their system without their consent (ie LL BEAN, Eddie Bauer and Red Envelope to name a few!) to appear that they had a greater breadth in the marketplace and as it is now These companies can not make them take a public link to a site off. Which is infuriating to the merchants because people may think that they are affiliated with WhenU.

WhenU has, also, been actively recruiting new merchants (ie. card service and a few other CJ ones) so I need to be absolutely sure of who is in and who isn't!

Once I'm sure ... It's GO time!

Haiko

Haiko,

quote:
    The delay in updating the blacklist is because now that affiliate managers have been alerted to WhenU and have been given time to make a cognitive decision they can not bring action for an Official Boycott!

I agree with your choice to hold off on some of them but some of the merchants have made a choice to stay with the scumware in the responses I have read. I think the blacklist of merchants that have responded negatively should be listed. Also the ones who have responded positively and dropped the scumware should be listed. Even if it's just a few at this time. Just my

Thanks very much Haiko for the info. You have created a very important site for us who are trying to make a few dollars on affiliate marketing. Affiliate marketing is a good concept, but as you now by the "Keyword" is "GREED". Everone is struggling to make money and that reflects back to all the dot.com failures two years ago. Now all the big players are trying everything to make their bottom lines look good. Look at Yahoo who just bought HotJobs for 430 Million,it's tough out there. Now we have "SCUMWARE" trying to steal all the action.
    We here at ABESTWEB have power,we just have to learn how to use it. I myself don't post much, but I do read a lot of postings. I really get annoyed with the profile section as many who post don't give any info in their profiles,URL's or email. Yet they claim to be the "BIG" money makers. Keep up the good work MR NADER!!! I put a small link back here for you. http://www.mailordering.com/affiliateprograms.html
    Gerry

>many who post don't give any info in their >profiles,URL's or email. Yet they claim to >be the "BIG" money makers.

And should the "BIG" money makers post their URL's what do you suppose would happen?

Can you work it out?

I

ABW Ambassador
    If I could know that everyone here (including the lurkers) played by all MY rules of moral and ethical behavior, I'd post a URL in my profile.

But we've already had an example of flagrant theft of one ABW member's work by another.

So I know that not everybody plays by my rules.

Not that everyone should, my rules are my rules. But since everyone doesn't, my new rule is nobody gets the chance to steal from me as easily as checking my profile.

It's a business decision, pure and simple. I'm not trying to make pocket money or pay for a server, I'm trying to earn a living. "Corporate" espionage is rampant in the world of affiliate marketing and SEO, are we just supposed to open the doors and welcome the thieves in? Doesn't sound like a good business decision to me.

Like I said earlier,the KEYWORD is GREED!
    We have crooked 'Trusted Third Parties,Crooked Merchants and now Scumware.
    My point is that sometimes it is hard to believe some postings here, you don't know where it's coming from. Is it for real or some 12 year old blowing smoke up our ass's.
    Don't take my statement personal as I am quite sure you have a good reason.
    Gerry

Hm Cedric, if everyone played by my rules, there wouldn't be an abestweb. All the merchants would pay up without any problems and everyone else would have the second google listing (guess who gets number one?).

There wouldn't be much to discuss [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Mailman
    >sometimes it is hard to believe some postings here, you don't know where it's coming from. Is it for real or some 12 year old blowing smoke up our ass's.

You mean the success stories? Mines real. Not that it would be a great deal of help to you.

If you're on about stuff like when someone posts a link to a great merchant who pays up the day after the sale and converts like magic - that one is a merchant blowing smoke up your ass.

Its important to use your discretion when you evaluate recommendations, but mostly ask yourself if the person has been around a while without too many complaints, and ask what they have to gain.

Even if they do have something to gain doesn't mean they are lying. This is a place all about commerce.

Mostly I think the reason the big players keep their urls secret is because they have the most to lose. If you aren't even making hosting fees whats it matter if someone rips off your site?

But if this job is your living, to reveal your url is to reveal your entire strategy - so ask yourself whats in it for the webmaster? Someone stops calling them a liar for a bit? Only a 12 year old would give up their business strategy because someone else is having a sulk.

Don't be fooled by the people (mostly merchants - you know who you are) who think that a successful site needs not fear being ripped off. They can afford to say that because theres always another mug to replace you. They tend to have one model and one model only of a successful site, and any successful site is, by definition, one with a newsletter and a lot of loyal happy little campers. I don't think any other approach computes :/

Heh, its a sorry state of affairs when you can't even trust your merchant with your url.

Anyway, if you want to hear all about the perils of site copying first hand, you could always ask Pranav. He is quite experienced.

I

Haiko, Thanks.

ABW Ambassador
    Cazzie,

Created http://www.abestweb.com/cgi-bin/ubb/...&f=21&t=000033

Haiko

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Haiko ]

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread