Wherever we've made a link to a merchant page or product via a Frameset page, the WhenU bar, SaveNow .. all that scumware disappears from the Merchant site.

But someone told me that BeFree and Commission Junction don't allow you to do Frameset pages and kick you off without a minutes notice if they catch you doing it.

Today I found a link here on the forum with a message from Austin Powers giving instructions on how to make a Frameset and he's using a CJ link as an example.
    http://www.abestweb.com/cgi-bin/ubb/u ltimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000008

Does anyone know for sure which of the programs (CJ, BeFree, Performics, etc) don't allow Framesets? Not frames, or iFrames, specifically Framesets because those are the pages that knock out the WhenU toolbar, the SaveNow, ShopSmarter, etc.

Thanks to anyone who has good knowledge about this! It's really driving us crazy .. to do or not to do.

Karin

[ Fixed Link ]

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Haiko ]

i just clicked that link and got this message

"Hack attempt logged: attempting to open topic file that is not in proper format."

i dont think cj.com would care if you use frames, the main issue is p3p compliance in IE6

I edited the link.

It isn't the adnetwork who cares about the frame it is the advertiser so I would contact the merchant(s). but you can set the link to open with out address bar, which some think will stop the Save Now pop up, but from my investigation it doesn't matter!

The solution is Pullen and Gerace doing what Stephen Messer did!

Haiko

I vaguely remember Todd or Dave posted here (out-of-topic to some thread) quite some time ago that CJ allows framesets to be used, and the external cookie thing is also not an issue, because Qksrv/CJ is fully P3P compliant.

Hope they're right, if not I'm losing cookie-sales because one of my sites uses framesets for all CJ merchants. And the IE6 crowd is now a whopping 25% of all browsers on my sites.

Oh, I'm not so sure with beFree, although LinkShare did send me an email saying they don't support 3rd party cookies with their tracking system (it's actually a bit more complicated than this), so we affiliates would need to check with our merchants by ourselves whether they are P3P compliant.

Actually, I'm not so sure I understand all this P3P-compliance/3rd party cookie issue. So can anyone care to explain it, thanks?

But IMHO, I just thought MicroSoft is causing all these needless troubles...and they are using "privacy" as an excuse. So sad.

Cheers,
    TianTian

Austin, Haiko, TianTian,

Thank you guys for your helpful replies!
    Got the info that the one merchant we really care about is IE6 compliaint and just going to drop their competitor on BeFree ..

Haiko, could you tell what you mean by
    quote:
    The solution is Pullen and Gerace doing what Stephen Messer did!

Who's Stephen Messer and what did he do?

Thanks again, and TianTian, thanks for all the info that gave us the "gutz" to just go and Do it!

Karin

Karin,

Stephen Messer is the CEO of Linkshare and what he "did" can be found here

Pullen = CEO of CJ
    Gerace = CEO of BeFree

Haiko

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Two thumbs up for Steve Messers move to erradicate the scumware/parasiteware wanks from using his already limping network. Getting CJ on board the no-more scumware train should be a priority for the new CEO -Pullin - that train. Can I hear those CJ whistles???

BeFree is hiding on all issues somewhere along with Bin Laden off the radar screen... so don't hold your breath on them not turning out the Red Carpet for automated revenue killers.

Hey All!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

VistaPrint.com and Gevalia Kaffe are allowing framesets! PayCycle.com will also allow them. ClubMom.com's affiliate program is a super supporter of affiliates and will help you to shut out these creeps. I'm currently working on eHealthInsurance.com to see if they will approve framesets.

To do or not to do: Keep in mind that if a merchant won't allow you to do framesets, then it doesn't do you any good to stay with them. WhenU is now popping up windows at my site even though I have no relationship (or keywords or mention) with the particular advertiser, in this case Lycos. I now know that I have to frameset my entire site to keep these creeps off of my pages and away from my visitors. Not just for my affiliate pages but for my entire site. All sites of all types are at risk right now if they don't have framesets. WhenU is popping up merchant's advertisements on websites all over the place. If you sell, you are losing customers. If you provide free info, you are losing viewers. It doesn't matter what type of site you have, WhenU can (and will) pop up on it. So, if you have to frameset your site to keep your visitors in and the bad guys out, then you can't work with merchants who won't allow framesets. You could go ahead and frameset those that say no, but when they find out they will take away all of your commissions (it's written into their rules that you forfeit if you break the rules). The big time big money merchants need to realize that they are losing customers right from their own websites, due to WhenU.com, and the others.

Diane

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The entire Yahoo store pages for merchants there are based upon framesets. Yahoo is aliegned with CJ for directly interfacing any merchant there to CJ reporting with special setup fees. Where's the merchant problem with having sites with frames? I personally don't develop sites with frames but some of the BeFree mini-merchant storefronts require a frame set ..see.. the coding at www.ecomcity.com/impulseads.htm

Mike .. !!

quote:
    I personally don't develop sites with frames but some of the BeFree mini-merchant storefronts require a frame set ..see.. the coding at www.ecomcity.com/impulseads.htm

The WhenU bar doesn't show up but a great big WhenU SaveNow banner-link-pop-up is there on the Overstock section of your page ... Going right to Overstock with their ID.

Overstock is a Fan of WhenU's though so it's probably built into their >> src="http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=22666531&siteid=25880060&bfpage=osstore" <<<

Do you have an example of other BeFree merchants who require a frameset for storefronts? If anyone wants one checked and doesn't want to list your site publicly, email and will check it. Anything we can do to help get this obolished (sp?)will do.

BTW, for affiliates who have a BeFree program, our codes end with, for example, bfpage=widgets. Wherever there's WhenU on a BeFree Merchant site, the BeFree page ends with bfpage=homewhenub

How come is that? anyone?

Karin
    (edited for typo)

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: KariBon ]

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: KariBon ]

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread