Special Thanks to Scott A. Hammond, Sr., CEO of Prima Rewards ( http://www.primarewards.com ) for Emailing me about this!

The MyPoints Alert is just like WhenU [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

quote:
    Are You Running MyPoints Point Alert?
    January 29, 2002

Are you running the MyPoints Point Alert?

MyPoints Point Alert is a small program authored by TopMoxie which is available for download on the MyPoints website. According to the MyPoints website:

quote:
    ----------------------
    Never miss earning Points for shopping again! Try this free download and earn 25 Points.

Point Alert! is a new MyPoints Shopping!® tool that alerts you when — and where — you can earn Points for shopping.
    ----------------------

This software tool is presented to you as a package that "alerts" you when and where you can earn points for shopping as well as suggests similar online stores that offer MyPoints rewards when you are visiting another shopping site which does not.

When installed, the default settings in this program will automatically redirect you through a MyPoints shopping link when you visit such a site and then alert you (after the fact). It does not simply Alert you but automatically redirects you.

This means that if you visit a merchant site through another rewards program (such as BooksAMillion.com which is available for rewards at PrimaRewards.com and other rewards programs), you will automatically be redirected through MyPoints and WILL NOT receive credit at the rewards program you originally intended to shop through.

Primarewards.com provides 50% more rewards for shopping atBooksAMillion.com when compared to MyPoints, so not only is your shopping redirected through MyPoints, but you are being given less rewards then what you originally set out to earn.

We do not oppose the concept of helper applications designed to alert you when point earning opportunities exist at a website you are visiting or on a website similar to the one you are visiting.

We do however believe that it is an unfair and unethical business practice to automatically redirect users as a default setting of the program. This practice is deceptive to end users and may potentially cheat you out of the rewards you thought you were earning.

While the automatic redirection through MyPoints can be disabled and the program can be set in a mode to only alert you and allow you to make a decision on being redirected, this is not the default operation of the program.

While the choice to run such software is ultimately yours, I recommend highly that you disable the option to Automatically earn points on MyPoints (the default setting is on, this redirects you and then tells you that you've been redirected after the fact) or immediately uninstall this program from your computer by selecting Start, Settings/Control Panel, Add Remove Programs, Select TopMoxie from the list, and Uninstall the program.

We'd also like to recommend that you voice your opinion to MyPoints and suggest that their software be installed in Alert Only mode by default rather then Automatic mode and/or suggest that they discontinue this unethical business practice.

Scott A. Hammond, Sr., CEO
    Prima Internet, Inc.

Permission is automatically granted to reprint/reproduce this article in its entirety (must include credit and this notice) and distribute it via your website, newsletter, e-mail list, message boards, etc. You are encouraged to share this article with others.

http://forums.primarewards.com/showt...=1823#post1823

Haiko

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: Haiko ]

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: Haiko ]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I couldn't miss this typo in his email:

quote:
    We do not believe however that it is an unfair and unethical business practice to automatically redirect users as a default setting of the program.

As for the Parasiteware itself, that's the WORST YET from what I read here! I'm not too concerned about the popups (people usually X all popups, minimizing actual damages, IMO) but this AUTOMATIC REDIRECT is definitely crapola of the highest order!!

[edited to put hollering face in subject line]

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

Yes, sorry. Despite 3 re-reads and another person reading over the announcement, it slipped out with that typo in it. I've already sent a revised version (I didn't post this so I can't edit it).

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I see Haiko has edited it...

Quite a good notice, actually and thanks for letting Haiko know about it (and therefore all of us), and for the reprint rights!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Sounds like the parasites are getting under the skin of of even the incent programs... Hyjacking the hyjackers will keep them busy as the confused happless surfer gets followed everywhere he goes like the flies on a "comet curser". Add "surf to earn" into the cesspool of terms like FREE for breeding trojan viruses and spyware.

This all is starting to make 469x60 banners look like angels in a pool of sharks. Anyone working on a POPup that displays all the PopUPs you missed by hitting the X when shutting down your browser???

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread