Has anyone downloaded whenu, if so was it a mongrel to uninstall?

MJ,

I did ... Easy unistall instructions are on www.merchantboycott.com

Haiko

Ta Haiko, thinking of downloading it to see what it's doing to my sites....

Just a thought, I understand whenU and other scumware work by targeting certain words.... is there a chance that a domain blocking script would work?

quote:
    Originally posted by mousejockey:
    is there a chance that a domain blocking script would work?

Mouse Jockey,

SgtSearch posted here a while ago that ThiefWare was working on a script to disable it. They got it working and I put it on two sites, and that WhenU bar is gone from all my links now. I know because I installed WhenU ... only way I could see what it was doing to my links to merchants. Yuuukkk!

Heard they (WhenU) have 19 millions users now and are a Super Affiliate for all the merchants associated with them. (and Super for the affiliate networks, such as LinkShare.)

I said this before, but how Super will they be when we all quit affiliating and they have no one to "steal" from and they'll have to do an honest days work driving traffic to a merchant?

Rosie

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Just cause they have 19 million download FREEBEE trials by having duped endusers into installing their program doesn't mean those users are actively using the program. They do pose a real threat to all publishers and merchants alike. In some cases if you have ActiveX live in your browser you can pickup this Adwarez by just visiting web pages.

They and their ilk jump into the online fray for the consumers wallet right at the point of sale with an offer that really reduces merchant profits. When the law suits hit the courts and the FTC gets to place banns restricting their actions their loyal merchants will move to spam farms. Shine the light on those merchants now so they can be boycotted as they types who will sell off privacy financial info if you ordered anything from them. Assign the tag "no scrupples" to any merchant that uses these services in the publics mindset. Once the public become aware that the next step is to sell off credit cards #s, credit limits, phone#s, e-mail addresses, buying habits they will become paradoid of the real con men behind these programs.

Want to cut the guts out of them. Find a way to stop them from getting all the incent offers from the affiliate networks. CJ BeFree -Performics -Linkshare actually automate this function specifically for them. We normal affiliates have to search for these deals within the creatives..cut-n-paste codes to our thousands of HTML pages and use excell to keep track of expiration dates for more maintenance chores.

The parasites just wake up in the morning and the networks have updated their databases with all new offers along with the moorming paper and donuts. As an after thought BeFree allows non-super affiliates to browse through incent offers one merchant at a time to get to codes. What does Gator or ShopNow do?? Now we have the non automated "Clovers" over here to help us target coupon clippers or unbury offers not seen at ShopNow or Gator.

[ 02-26-2002: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

Thanks Rosie, I've the code on a couple of my sites, just seeing if it was a hairbrained idea, seems it was!

I downloaded whenU, surfed around and found nothing, not at all inspiring, I imagine many surfers would be put off by having to enter their credit card details, I was, at least it was easier to uninstall than surf!

Have a look at Whenu on CNET, and they rate it as a pick! Then look at the users ratings! We should all post our opinions! They probably won't get posted though since CNET approves or disproves user ratings.

Whenu at CNET

Tami

MouseJockey,

When you say >>I've the code on a couple of my sites, just seeing if it was a hairbrained idea, seems it was! <<

Are you talking about the Theifware code?
    I've got in on two sites and it works fine so just wondered why you think it's hairbrained idea if you are talking about that one.

Thanks!
    Rosie

No, Rosie, thiefware code is great, I was referring to my idea about a domain blocking script.
    I understand most of the scumware targets certain keywords and I thought perhaps if you used a domain blocking script on your site and blocked whenu, topsurf and the others ...well, it sounded like a good idea at the time [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

quote:
    Originally posted by mousejockey:
    No, Rosie, thiefware code is great, I was referring to my idea about a domain blocking script.

Thanks, MouseJockey. You scared me because I have the Thiefware code on almost 1500 links now and thought you discovered something wrong with it!

It would have been time for a Lynching! Me to hang myself [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Rosie

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: Rosie ]

Are you guys talking about Thiefware's
    StopU?

If so is it hard (do you need to be
    a programming whizard) to install
    yourself?

Thanks,
    Anne

Anne,
    I am no rocket scientist, and I did it !
    There is also a forum there if you have any questions about how to do it.

It works, and really wipes out the WhenU bar.

Karin

If you know the basics about your server setup, installing StopU is actually quite easy to install and use if you have a little bit of experience with installing CGI PERL. Even first timers shouldn't really have a hard time with it provided you know what the “path to PERL” is, what CGI extension is used (.pl or .cgi), and of course your domain name. Need to know what CHMOD 755 is when dealing with *NIX type of servers (also explained in the instructions at the web site).

Alas, if you get stuck on something (for do-it-yourselfers), just post a support question in the thiefware.com forums. The other option is to have thiefware.com install it for you.

Windows servers can be a bit more sticky especially if their configuration requires the server administrator to set the right execution permissions. I remember sending PERL programs to a windows server I was using a year ago and many times a program still wouldn't execute even though it ran fine on my own Windows98 machine. The server administrator had to fix the permissions much of the time.

I moved all my domains to a LINUX server and the permission problems WhenU'ed away (went away--a little WhenU humor [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread