Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I was cruising the boards over there and came across an unfunded one - I guess ezboard gets some bucks from Gator, as it tried to load onto my PC. It was a lovely, innocent looking download that suggested it could find some good prices for me.....

-Tom Rice
    editor@elbowcreek.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    This is Gator's next step in installing their trojan horse shopping service (virus) onto unsuspecting web surfers machines. Auto downloads just from browsing a page activated by a Gator furnished script hide the real intent. The quick explanation of a 10 second download hides the fact that GATOR now owns all the personal information on this unwary web surfer. The browser sure has to jump hurdles to read the full disclosures thta basically grant Gator ownership of that individuals private info including credit cards, address, shopping habits, surfing activities... They will sell off this info to telemarketers and spammers.

If you then see a slowdown on your web surfing activities it is because GATOR now controls your machine ...logging every site you visit ..downloading/uploading your activity contantly. It also uploads the keyword merchant database every day even after you uninstall the main Gator form filling program. Land on a keyword page and your greeted with a steady stream of Gator Ads. The scumware/spyware remains after un-install. These truly are viruses and MacAfee -Norton etc should immediately take steps to wipe out the re-directs, popups, banner overlays by removing the scumware from millions of computers. Waake up your anti-virus S/W makers...there's money in this for you!

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

I just found something wierd. Maybe this is the same thing:
    I swapped links with MyBabyBid.com months ago. During a recent link check I was notified that this was an invalid link. I clicked the link and get redirected to netster.com. I closed the window to netster and get a warning asking me if I want to download Gator. I tried to repeat the process several times and it didn't happen again. Got any ideas what's happening here?
    :confused:

The link is on the following page:

Auctions

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: milehimall.com ]

Followed the link and the same thing happened to me - after a delay of around two minutes the gator install thing came up.

I

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I got an email from EZ Sweeps this week. It said I would get an auto-entry if I'd look at the info page for some SUPPOSEDLY non-Gator form filling SW. I forgot what it was called, sorry...

Of course I didn't want any SW, but I clicked it to get the free entry. This popup (a BIG popup meant to be obvious) came up and talked about a form-filling toolbar that would auto-fill forms but show NO ADS, no redirects, etc.

But like I said, I didn't want any SW so I hit X when the entry went through.

Shortly after I hit X, sure enough--a GATOR INSTALL WINDOW appeared! Of course I hit Cancel, but the fact that a Gator install was on this page promising a "no ad toolbar" stood out.

If I see the name of this toolbar again somewhere, I'll post it. At the time I was too busy hitting X to remember it! I do remember they were promoting it through EZ sweeps, though, so if anyone has that email (it came this week--a typical "you may win XX,XXX just by opening this email" subject) cluttering up your inbox, maybe you can get the name.

ABW Ambassador
    OT: For those looking for a Gator alternative, I read a very positive review (don't remember where) of Roboform -- http://www.roboform.com/ -- no ads.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    THAT'S THE ONE! I knew if I saw the name again I'd remember it!

I don't know if Roboform is aware of the Gator download attempt or not. It could have been EZ Sweeps' "bright" idea, to stack the Gator download behind the Robo promotion popup.

But I do find it rather strange that Roboform would do all of that (programming and promotion), without getting paid for it SOMEHOW! Even in the heyday of free content, there was a dollar that was supposed to be made somewhere.

Something's got to be paying Roboform's programmers...

I looked at their site again. Seems that they're hoping people will buy a Paid Version they've got available. Good luck...

(Hmm, it probably WAS EZ Sweeps that decided to put a Gator download attempt behind the contest entry/Roboform popop, at least by the looks of it...nothing fishy happened when I X'd RF's site this time!)

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    I looked at their site again. Seems that they're hoping people will buy a Paid Version they've got available.

Yep, that's the plan. The review I read said the free version was absolutely ad-free.

Thanks Icicle,

There was about 2 minutes delay when I clicked the link, too. I'll be investigating this further today.

I've been using RoboForm for the last 2 months ..it's great and even has a quick import of all the Gator usernames/passwords. This one I'd even pay for since they don't even bombbard you with the upgrade offers.

Regarding RoboForm:
    It's worth it to buy just to knock Gator out of business. The folks at RoboForm have vowed to not use any thiefware tactics.

About Gator:
    You need to uninstall both Gator components (Gator and the Offer Companion). Gator claims that both can be removed via the Windows Ad/Remove software utility that comes with all Windows machines. The problem arises when one component is left intact which explains why some people have had trouble removing Gator.

I've never downloaded any of the Gator landmines I've encountered but will programs like Ad Aware remove Gator components???

Roboform is a great program and worth purccchasing the Pro version. Anything that gets touted as a FREE download is more than likely filled with Adware/Spyware/parasite trojans and the subscription info sent to the spam farmers and telemarketers.

I wonder why the people at gator or the company have not been charged with fraud and prosecuted.

Sued? They should be dismembered and their carcasses hung to rot in the midday sun with vultures eating their entrails as an example for people of their type.

Suing should be reserved for their betters!

quote:
    Sued? They should be dismembered and their carcasses hung to rot in the midday sun with vultures eating their entrails as an example for people of their type.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] That would seem to be an effective strategy.

cjb.net also tries to install Gator when you visit a hosted/redirected site.

btw, the ODP has some interesting stuff on Gator, eZula et al here.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread