Thank you Chez for that link in the other post to Ad-Aware. I installed the free program on all of my computers and I am PISSED!

On my 7 year old Son's Gateway, the software found 29 Parasite Ware files!

On my brand new Sony it found 24 (I just bought this machine in November!).

On my laptop from work it found 18!

I can't wait to have my office staff run this software on all of their pc's in the office. GATOR was on all of my machines

I am so upset. If my machines were infested without my knoweldge, then how many of the hundreds of thousands of visitors to my sites are also invaded? These bastards probably have stolen thousands of dollars in redirected commissions from my visitors!

I AM SO UPSET!!!!!!!

Ad-aware is a great little program. A friend of mine e-mailed me the link the other day. I thought my computer was an armored fortress but I had something like 50. Some were different versions of the same parasiteware.

Amazing what parasites can sneak past your defenses.

quote:
    I thought my computer was an armored fortress.

I've been using Adaware for a couple of years now and I thought the same thing. I updated the ref file this morning, did a scan (first scan for about 4 months) and found some comet cursor remnants that I thought I blocked out.

God I hate comet cursor.

Yes, it's a fine product, in fact I would love to give them banner space if they had one [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I know a couple people that have comet cursor. Is that parasieware, or just obnoxiousware???

comet cursor is spyware, most people have it because it is bundled with real player and other software

here are some useful url's
    one of my favorites, the counter exploitation website
    "http://www.cexx.org/"

a huge list of spyware, you may be shocked
    "http://virgolamobile.50megs.com/spyware/spyware.htm"

search for spyware by name
    "http://www.spychecker.com/"

oh oh :eek:
    "http://www.simovits.com/trojans/trojans.html"

quote:
    I know a couple people that have comet cursor. Is that parasieware, or just obnoxiousware???

It's plain ol annoyingware.

quote:
    Originally posted by seaslug44:
    Thank you Chez for that link in the other post to Ad-Aware.

Could I have that link, please?

Link to Ad-Aware

[ 03-02-2002: Message edited by: fish ]

I d/l'd and installed and ran the ad aware program, and I have a huge list of items it found - anyone out there willing to take a look at my found list and tell me if I should delete everything there? or guide me as to what to keep and what to trash? ... TIA [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Get rid of every program Ad-aware highlghts. Even those neat innocent programs like Gator -Bonsai Buddy and all the shopper helper programs embedd spyware -Adware -privacy snoopers underneith their downloads.

REAL Anything is SPYWARE! Dump everything related to REAL networks. Per Steve Gibson's excellent website on security.

How often do you all run the ad aware scan?

ABW Ambassador
    I run Ad-Watch as well. It runs permanently in the background and if there is anything suspicious the icon turns red.

I don't know if you get this in the free version or you have to pay for this one as I make it a habit to pay for this kind of stuff because I feel that these guys (or galls) need supporting, and the pricing is normally not too high.

-------------
    Edit: Spelling
    -------------

[ 03-11-2002: Message edited by: Wayder ]

I understand wanting to get rid of all this junk but as a webmaster I prefer to keep a lot of it on my pc so I am aware of what is going on with my customers pc's when they visit my site. Grant it I won't run comet curser or gator as I'm already aware to them and can't stand the site of either.

Real networks I never heard they were spyware before. That's a shame I like my real player.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'm keeping my RealJukebox!

If they want to know that I spend tons of time at ABW and the rest of it checking my stats, let 'em look. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

As for CometCursor, my version of RealJukebox and RealPlayer is apparantly from before that bundling setup came in...my Real stuff didn't come bundled with anything. Although now I get a nag from Real to upgrade (which I steadfastly ignore) every time I turn the Jukebox on!

CometCursor did put some kind of parasiteware feature on. I don't know if they got any advertisers but the capability is there... I know this because I used to have it installed (yes I had installed it on purpose, it wasn't bundled with anything)--and when I saw the new capability I UNinstalled it!!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Real Networks sells of their registered users information and does bundle spyware and some hooks to Popup Adwarez merchants on all new FREE upgrades. Basically folks if the word FREE appears in any download of a helper program it's probably tainted with trojan horse advertising schemes.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread