From Revnews: http://www.revenews.com/opinion/disc...s&message=1710
    All I know is Save Now will dominate
    Hi Mike,
    I am a Brand Manager for a major retailer and have been watching all this very closely. Our affiliate group was concerned about this because of relationships with their publisher’s. But after two days of meetings with executive management last week we have concluded that these new companies have tremendous reach and are doing what we try and do every day in Bricks and Mortar, loyalty programs. The cost to us is the affiliate fee (advertising cost) and these other companies are bearing the cost of development teams, account processing and continued value development that entails much capital investment (believe me we know). We also believe the consumer receives all the other benefits of their partners and that’s a good deal for merchants it ensures brand loyalties to synergistic products (e.g. Macy’s clothing department brings together all the major designers under a single roof). We have a lot of partnerships with a lot of different groups and we do this because we can speak to many consumers at one place that has a lot of power for a merchant as well as reducing costs. I think you need to re-think your position because all consumers care about is the best deal. I just read the “World Shopping Privacy Policy” the company doing the Morpheus shopping. They are not spy ware and I believe the service has great consumer value as well as merchant value. And if 'savvy shoppers' are getting discounts they will shop at the merchants that offer discounts. There are enough merchants out there who will see the value in this program. Consumers don't care about Web Master Mike (I am sorry for that) they care about choice, value and discounts. Merchants care about the customer’s (not always new ones but keeping the ones we have happy), reach and results = the bottom line. Merchants win in this model because they are giving something back to the consumer at a low cost even Burger King has started a program last month and the word is they are having great success with it. Why.... because it works more effectively than many things we try and can be measured. We believe in this because this technology delivers discounts with ease using technology what a concept. We all know that this has value for a consumer and a merchant. We also do not have to deal with tens of thousands of sites and all those accounting issues $25 checks on and on and on. By working with these company's we can bring money to our bottom line and protect our brand. I know you have invested money, time and effort in your model and brand so you have a business but businesses always needs to listen to their customers. My suggestion to you and other publisher's like you would be to partner with these company's to offer your loyal shopping customers these kinds of services it’s the future we’ve been doing it in the real world for 20 years. My advice to World Shopping and Morpheus is your company’s better continue to bring value to the consumer and the merchant as time goes on because when that stops so do you.

quote:
    I am a Brand Manager for a major retailer and have been watching all this very closely.

Interesting to see he/she's too ashamed to say WHICH major retailler. One thing's for sure, if I knew, I'd never buy anything from them.

These scumware programs are theft, simple as that - stealing commissions from our sites.

[ 04-07-2002: Message edited by: futuresky ]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    "We also do not have to deal with tens of thousands of sites and all those accounting issues $25 checks on and on and on~NancyL"

That's easy to solve. Have an affiliate network process those checks for you! But don't pick CJ. A blatantly theiving program like yours would be, would only be deactivated within a month at CJ anyway.

"20 years", huh? Hm, time to find out which rotter has been in business 20 years and has just entered the Internet scene...

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    "My suggestion to you (Webmaster Mike) and other publisher's like you would be to partner with these company's to offer your loyal shopping customers these kinds of services it’s the future we’ve been doing it in the real world for 20 years. My advice to World Shopping and Morpheus is your company’s better continue to bring value to the consumer and the merchant as time goes on because when that stops so do you."

Imagine the hoops they'd have for me to jump through to try and figure out how my 5 sites could earn a buck from dealing with the scumware and parasite warez folks. They are too busy redirecting my SE listings and changing my affiliate ID#'s to theirs to give me a income opportunity. I stated to her/him or "shim" that these fine folks plan on running me out of business and only complain I don't get enough traffic to post a banner on my front page to pay me a penny for every 10 clicks throughs for their FREE download. The same people invented pay toilets in hospital diarea wards and dish out toilet paper one section at a time. Someone please unplug Cnet and download.com to save the Net from the hijackers.

Give them a earfull over at Revenews.

Nancy L,

Ummm, isn't it Wurld not World? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Don't worry the microscope is set to maximum.

Haiko

Nancy,

Conquest is easy, control is not. You may succeed with parasiteware tactics in the short run with immoral practices but in the end you will lose it. True many of those who followed you will adapt fast enough to survive but some will not.

Machiavelli, who I guess this is the school from which this conversation originates, said that it is the long term hurt, or damage, you cause to people that evetually brings you down. The publishers you hurt will remember and will set things right. You can conquer and destroy a person, but some day their son or daughter will grow up and rectify the damage you have done.

As far as Morpheus goes, well, my advice to them is to keep that lisencing agreement they have. You know, you agree that they can ruin your life in exchange for using their software. It is the only thing that stands between them and a hefty class-action suit for personal computer damages.

As far as your comparison of the real world and the internet. I'm sorry you feel that way because that will ultimately be your undoing. The latest polls I have seen (nationwide and worldwide) are saying that people believe information on the internet more than they do from any other source, even when it is completely unfounded and baseless. People feel that internet webmasters are, in general, unbiased by things such as big business and governments. Parasiteware and other such entities have damaged those that basically "run" the internet. You turn a web publisher against you and you have also turned all those that go to their sites against you as well.

Let's take Wal-Mart for example. They do the majority of their business on the street and not on the internet so they are relatively unaffected by negative turns. I keep running into new people that refuse to shop there because of things they have read on the internet. They are now the biggest company in the world so even a large number of people are not going to hurt them too much. Whoever you work for, unless its Wal-Mart, probably does not operate with that level of impunity.

If your basic conclusions are correct, in your earlier dissertation, then there were better ways to do it. There are many unwritten rules of the internet world that don't exist anywhere else.

Commerce, not conquest. Conquest only works if you were the original hurt party and your motives are completely pure. You could have worked with existing affiliates and publishers and come to something that everyone could live with. I don't think its too late to fix this grave error but that time is fast approaching.

All battles are won in the temples before they are ever fought. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    NancyBoy believes that super glueing storefront flyers to windshields of cars parked in shopping malls is effective advertising. The advertisng industry as a whole are bottom feeders who will devise any tactic regardless of long term negative impact that turns them an immediate buck. Scumware and spam campaigns are an easy sell for desperate merchants.

Machiavelli, who I guess this is the school from which this conversation originates, said that it is the long term hurt, or damage, you cause to people that evetually brings you down.

I don't recall the exact quotes, but as its from old Italian or whatever the gist will do.

"A man will sooner forgive the death of his father than the loss of his land" and "Any harm done to a man should be sufficient to remove any hope of retaliation".

Another relevant one - "A prince never lacks good reasons to break his promise".

I

Really looks like affiliate marketing my not be here as we know it 5 years from now. (sigh)

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    aw, hogwash. I'm not partnering with some stupid parasitic scumware low life pig dropping website-hijacking software wannabees, just so I can irritate a buncha innocent surfers. If that's the direction you're gonna drive your affiliate program, then I suggest stuffing as much money into your mattress as you can: You're gonna need it in about three years.

And here's a quote for ya as well:

"Somewhere, I am sure, the Gods of war are laughing."

[ 04-08-2002: Message edited by: elbowcreek ]

quote:
    aw, hogwash. I'm not partnering with some stupid parasitic scumware low life pig dropping website-hijacking software wannabees, just so I can irritate a buncha innocent surfers. If that's the direction you're gonna drive your affiliate program, then I suggest stuffing as much money into your mattress as you can: You're gonna need it in about three years.

I should have said that and saved some board space. Brief and to the point. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

But my motto is why say something in one sentence that can be drawn out into fifty paragraphs... LOL

Elbow saved me some typing. I'll just "ditto" that post.

Planetwide, Elbow's post is one of the few instances where brevity actually worked. Most of the rest of the time people only ask for 50 paragraphs of clarification anyway so you might as well type them in from the outset. At least that's how it works with me.

Leader;

Could you please clarify what you meant in your brief post above? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

SEE?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

elbowcreek,

Very nicely said, indeed!

Haiko

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread