Merchants should realize that by giving commissions to people/companies who only PRETEND to promote the merchants' website (just because their software is in the customer's computer) but don't actually refer anybody, they are being scammed too.

Commissions should be given to the true referrer and not to those who pretend to be the referrer.

If the true referers are driven out of business because of the thief, then the merchants will be left empty-handed.

Then again, why would a merchant pay somebody (the pretenders) for doing nothing? Money that should go to make the merchant's business profitable are being thrown away instead.

[ 04-10-2002: Message edited by: nighthawk ]

nighthawk,

quote:
    Then again, why would a merchant pay somebody (the pretenders) for doing nothing? Money that should go to make the merchant's business profitable are being thrown away instead.

I can only speak of the looksmart example, I have a lot of experience with it, unfortunately!

The merchants don't care where the traffic comes from (Ezula) and they don't care that Looksmart double dips (charges the $199 and then changes the static link to their affiliate link). It is all about traffic and conversions, but soon (after I have implored them) they will see that the companies margins go out the window by teaming up with ParasiteWare(TM) sheet!

The affiliates really do know better because we run our own business (es) and know our true margins better than some boof who thinks they do because they have the title of affiliate manager! (they'll learn quick when they are on F'ed Co and unemployment).

Haiko

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The parasites will definitely get some rude come uppance when they see the conversion ratios on their choices of merchants. Those merchants who do convert and endorse their EyeBall hijacking buddies will cringe when presented the monthly bill. They eventually will refuse to pay those bills when the legal crap hits the fan. NET result is another blackeye for the affiliate networks, dwindling affiliate base, bankrupt parasites under restraining orders and some posts by NancyBot and others crying foul play.

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread