I went to access a merchant's site to check my affiliate stats but I accidently made a typo in the URL. Next thing I see is that a new IE window was opened but it was off my screen. I've seen these before.... a pop-up, but there doesn't seem to be anything there when you click on it in the system-tray.

I was able to access this 'hidden' IE window because it showed up on the system tray -- I right-clicked on the button in the task bar and selected Move then used arrow keys to move it up on to desktop. When I looked at the source HTML, it showed Javascript code for installing Gator/Eula.

I thought I just went to a wrong site with someone using a domain name similar to the merchant (but misspelled). Without knowing it, I was infected with Gator/Eula!

Now I know why so many affiliates are losing commissions.

Now I'm off to run ad-aware (www.lavasoftusa.com) to remove this thing from my machine.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I saw one of those just a few days ago, but didn't think to "view source" it.

After quite a delay, a "do you want to install and run Gator" grey box came up.

Of course I hit NO!

Do you think I got stuck with it anyway? I haven't noticed any difference in the computer...

Leader,

There was no was dialog box that appeared on my screen. It automatically installed Gator without asking me :mad:

You're probably infected. I strongly recommend that you run ad-aware just to be sure.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

I came across this a month or so ago with a variation of Findwhat.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Boycott Gator who is setting up dummy domains and second tier pop-up banner farms thta install their backdoor trojan horse application without any reference to permissions. This is called the new wave in web based advertising "driveby downloads" of small trojan viruses that overtime install the rest of the scumwarez and spyware.

The main cause of all of this is the lazy con artist wanks pulling paychecks from the online advertising industry. This goes for all ad serving networks -brokers and affiliate management aggregrator groups. They cannot be stopped in their quest for the CPM eyeball culture they grew up in and have no talent to creat Ads that sell. Just more tricks for clicks and spamm.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread