It seems that Radlight Media Player (no I've never used it) not only installs scumware on your system but also hunts down and removes AdAware too.

Legal? Well it's in the EULA but who reads those?

Articles at Slashdot, Spyware Weekly and Newsbytes - will these evil scumware merchants stop at nothing?

And (second hand info fro his forum) says his justification is that he's poor.

That's why I only use MS's media player - I can trust them, right?

Right?

Okay, okay, I can't trust them either - but I still haven't downloaded their latest upgrade (at least I think I haven't).

Even Microsoft (eventually) drew the line at SmartTags in IE6 after the public pressure became too great.

"Too poor" - what a great excuse. Imagine the sort of things your could justify doing with that! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I spend 4 hours going over the various postings on parasite forums last night and this crap is spreading like wildfire. Even Adaware has problems keeping up with new ones poping up as the developers sell the scripts. They all seem to create warfare within your computer fighting over access to their Adwarez and trojan backdoors.

Since many of their target audience are real "hackers" seeking free music files I think DOA ( denial of service) attacks will bring some of their servers to their knees. Maybe wishful thinking like the spamm farmers swapping hosts.

Salon interview with Ad-aware author:
    http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/20...e/index.html?x

bobokiki,

Hi and Welcome!

quote:
    Do you think that a license -- in which a user clicks "yes, I agree" at the end -- gives users enough of a warning?

Absolutely not.

I agree 1,000%

quote:
    The fight seems to keep changing; whoever writes the last batch of code has an advantage. How do you plan to keep up against so many opponents -- especially in cases when your competition has more money?

Money is an important issue, but not as important as your question would imply. True, we will be busy, and this will only get worse as time goes on. But what your question fails to acknowledge is the character of the people involved. Our core of support has always been dedicated volunteers that take over support functions, do research and beta test so that we can continue the development work. Our users are our strength.

We are right there behind them to help!

Haiko

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread