Sen. Fritz Hollings is pushing a bill that supposedly safeguards online privacy -- but actually gives intrusive marketers a green light.

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/04/ 26/hollings_spyware/index.html

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: bobokiki ]

Pretty typical, all the anti-spam laws that DC has proposed so far have all required us to be victimized, them go through hoops to "opt-out" - they're definitely not on our side. What I really found interesting tho was:
    ---
    Hollings is also a sponsor of the Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act (CBDTPA, formerly known as the SSSCA), a bill that requires all new computers and other digital information devices to come with copy protection software and/or hardware installed on them.
    ---

If that bill passes, I'd suggest anybody who has any extra cash and storage space start stocking up on current Athlon and Pentium systems - gonna be a hot market there. Ever watch a video tape that's Macrovision "copy-protected"? Yep, a copy is really, really crappy to watch - and the original is much better - only crappy to watch (if your VHS tapes from Universal are unpleasant to watch, it's Macrovision at work).

There needs to be a way for webmasters to test to see if shoppers have parasiteware installed then shut off access to the site if they have. I don't just mean a link to a definition of the word and removal tips - I mean something a little more proactive.

If a shopper got barred from a site because of a software infection they might start taking the issue seriously. It would reflect on their self image the way a polite request does not. They would be 'unclean' and it would be emotional rather than intellectual.

I know its not taken seriously enough because I left a web designer in front of my machine for *five minutes* and when I thought to look at what he was doing he had Kazaa 95% downloaded. I start screaming (as you do) and asking what the f*** he f****** thought he was fr***n' doing to my b***** machine?

He said 'well you don't have any music'.

I'm not sure whether I should just kill him, or maybe torture him a bit first..

Either way I think its time people really *felt* they were doing something wrong. 'Oops I didn't know' isn't good enough.

I

quote:
    Originally posted by Icicle:
    I'm not sure whether I should just kill him, or maybe torture him a bit first..

Torture him first - it's only fair to let him know WHY he's shoveling coal in a sulphur pit in hell.

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: jaybat ]

Just deleted him from my MSN buddies list and blocked his email (over something else). He's a whining little s**t anyway.

I

I just read that article.

The writer seems to assume the only use for a cookie is a nefarious one. Its all shock horror at internet privacy violations, but whats he asking? That using cookies be made illegal and no-one be allowed to give out their email?

He thinks a one pixel gif is a tool of the devil and seems completely unaware of the legitimate uses of the technology. The reason for his dismay seems to be the fact that non private information gathering will still be legal if the bill is passed.

Not a word about plastering someones page with tresspassing banners or intercepting a sale or two. No idea at all of the real scumware adgenda. Methinks he needs an education.

If he had his way the only type of internet commerce would involve branding then walking down the high street to your local K-Mart.

Possibly, he works for Linkshare.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I

We need to have somebody lobbying for us! *Hint - Hint Haiko* [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] You seemed to be the most respected and organized around here with good connections in the affiliate world. I know you don't have anything else to do. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I know this is just a dream but it would be nice to get parasiteware outlawed!

Core

Creek,

quote:
    If a shopper got barred from a site because of a software infection they might start taking the issue seriously. It would reflect on their self image the way a polite request does not. They would be 'unclean' and it would be emotional rather than intellectual.

Now there is an idea! See
    http://www.abestweb.com/cgi-bin/ubb/...&f=21&t=000085

------------

Core,

I'd love to ... the problem is that these idoits think that it is a bs privacy issue and not a ParasiteWare™ issue. I'll do all I can as long as I can and for what it's worth but I think the thread above would do more!

Haiko

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread