I like the idea of software that removes parasites but it's not the fix-all solution we need.

Goverment will never be the fix-all solution either because laws can be made but they can also be side-stepped and broken in some cases.

What we really need is to look at what it is the consumer wants and plan our strategies based on that.

If the consumer wants file-sharing then we need to offer file-sharing. We could come up with a better software and populate everyones computers with it instead of allowing parasites to control the entire industry.

If the consumer wants to be in a buyers club and save money then we need to get together and start a buyers club. I'm sure if we united together we could have tons of leverage with merchants to get good deals from them.

The problem with most of us is that we are small time individuals. We need to work together and consolidate our efforts. We need to pitch in and get software developed that will be better than the parasite software. We could start a fund and hire people to program this stuff. I think this is the way to go.

What's your op?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Nice concept but how can we fund and establish a eBates.com type service and reach the masses? A P2P network like Morphous appeals to music thieves not shoppers. Spyware is what concerns them since they worry about big brother and the Music industry coming to fine them for copyright file sharing.

Do you really think a lame shopping club deal with "incent" offers is so new and revolutionary as to immediately appeal to 100 million users?? If it would then BeFree/ValueClick would have a pseudo side deal site setup to funnel off profits from their existing merchant pool. Real Shoppers buy on a needs basis or impulse and seek a great upfront price with no rebates -coupons or shopping points to cloud the issue. Instant gratification rules the web shopper so a site like OverStock appeals to them all.

I'm not here just to knock ideas to combat the parasites. Real long term solutions are available to all ABW members like my year old suggestion to combine e-mail "real deal" flyers ( affiliate coded) that double as a creative static page.

I do have a 3 year old proven idea that could have cured banner blindness and actually made shoppers LOOK for this creative on portals and individual sites. Those who got me to share this idea corrupted it for immediate million dollar gains. They cashed out and placed just the major pieces into the hands of stupid greedy marketers like @Home networks and Inktomi. Every reincarnation met with failure because they didn't consider the endusers requirement for true immediate value at the end of a click. My plan would allow this network to tell 80% of the major online merchants to take a hike..we don't need your 79.95 retail priced product offering.

quote:
    I'm sure if we united together we could have tons of leverage with merchants to get good deals from them.

A huge stream of traffic through one affiliate account would give that account power.
    In general, I agree with you. What do you have in mind, and why software instead of a site/mail/membership approach?

The ideal solution would keep your hard earned visitors AT YOUR site not send them off in a quest for a hot buy!! Ideal merchant solution, like OverStock has with half a truck load of low priced MP3 players, is run a real time internet sale til they're all gone ..then replace that deal with another automatically.

This is a software solution with no tricks for clicks and a urgency buy now factor.. An ideal sales solution should be one where you don't have to buy traffic...the Yahoos and AOL's should ask you for it not the other way around.

[ 05-08-2002: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

quote:
    tons of leverage

How big would you have to be to get those 'tons of leverage'?

ABW Ambassador
    A joint project would never work. I don't trust anyone.

I have put the blocking code up on the main page our content sites. Out of 50,000 vistors yesterday, 112 had it installed. In our forums people were thanking me because they didn't realize they had it installed.

People don't want this crap on the computers and that is why the threat of 3 million morpheus users coming here was an empty threat. Go to music city's chat room and people are posting about gnucleus and kazaalite as ways to avoid spyware.

The problem with most affiliate sites is they don't have a trust with their visitors, so if you block them the visitor thinks you are trying to scam them. Content sites do have a relation with their visitors and as a result are trusted more.

What we need to do is ask content sites to put the blockers up. And then help those webmasters easily keep the code up to date. When surfers are all of a sudden blocked out of their favorite sites, they will sit up and take notice.

So I propose the mission should be to educate content sites and attack this issue from that end. I am rewriting our blocking page now and making it clear how spyware is installed and suggesting people write their congressmen etc. Ask one of your favorite sites to do it, explain to them how they are losing revenue (even if they are on an ad network). Also explain that this is not a punishment to their users, but a service. They are warning their users of malicious code on their pc.

Chet

quote:
    A joint project would never work. I don't trust anyone

Yes, it's a non-starter. People are too scared to even publish their site URLs. I'm not trying to be negative, there is a lot of potential for a joint venture. But who would trust anyone other than a relative. And maybe not even then.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread