All,

I just spoke with Ben Christiansen in Business Development at www.AADCOM.com and personally invited him here to explain why affiliates shouldn't boycott their customers [merchants] and them ... Lets see!

Haiko
    PS I will be inviting all the ParasiteWare(TM) We'll see.

Gonna ask Osama to drop a line or two as well?

Jaybat,

Same 'sheet' different 'smell', but lets see if they have the nerve to try to 'sell' us like they do/did with the managers / networks!

Haiko
    PS. I'll add that I could hear Ben's knees knocking on the phone!

[Added PS and changed here to hear]

[ 04-29-2002: Message edited by: Haiko ]

Oh good. I've missed Nancy.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I

ABW Ambassador
    Haiko,
    First, great job...let's hope that it is not a no-show. Secondly, I don't think they have much a fight to win a business over to their tactics. Think about it from a merchant point. My banner could be placed on my competitors sites...although, I do not know that...when another hosting site has 'hosting' or 'server' on their front page, it's actually a link to my site...when somebody goes to yahoo, it is my banner showing instead because the websurfer is using gator...Again, me as a merchant wouldn't know any of this.... I just know that since joining with a scumware company, my sales have gone up dramatically, for the same amount of money I was dishing out before for other types of advertising. This is a merchants dream....and they have the 'numbers' to prove it. It takes merchants like the post I saw from (please, please correct me if I'm wrong) from babystyle...they didn't know it was happening like this...they just know they were getting sales...How does Andy go to Tiger and say 'I could double our sales in the next 3 months, but I won't because it's unethical'. It isn't difficult for these merchants to be won over by scumware. Some merchants have backed down since they've learned the tactics used, and those merchants should be praised and supported...
    Haiko and the other affiliates...I know you do your best in alerting merchants to these tactics...some listen, some don't. When it comes to numbers though, it can be difficult to make them listen. If they won't listen, it's time to boycott them, and tell them so. Sometimes, I seem to forget that I am a merchant, as well as an affiliate. I'd would rather get sales from the folks like leader, etc who are actually writing ad copy on my behalf, putting my products on their site, and selling for me. At least then I know I will be sleeping well at night...just my 4cents from both merchant and affiliate side.

(Sorry for the rant, I became rather p*ssed when a client pointed out to me what their site looked like with parasiteware.)

All,

I was just recently made aware of Aadcom serving another merchant ads on top of the JC Whitney site. Don't know if it was a coincidence but they emailed me the very next day after I found out! (See their email and my reply below) My first course of action is dealing with the Merchant directly who, as it happens, we're already doing business with. I can only imagine they were not aware as I suspect is usually the case. It's not like how they these ad-servers operate and the ramifications are ever really explained. We're currently taking this up with the other merchant amicably. Aadcom is next, probably less so.

Rick

quote:
    To: ""@Corp.SMTP
    Date: Mon, Apr 29, 2002 4:42 PM
    Subject: Re: Your Site

Ben,

Let me understand this...

1) When someone is on a website including our own and those we're already doing business with you will serve up a competing advertisement.

2) I have hundreds of important online marketing relationships who's business depends on their ad revenue including that from us. You are proposing that when a web browser visits a one of these sites who depend on their advertising income they will have someone elses' ad superimposed over/under their own.

3) All the other sites we -don't- have a relationship likewise would have a JC Whitney ad served up over their site again taking their ad revenue thus portraying JC Whitney as company that pirates other website's ad revenue.

How is this not stealing potential advertising income from our exiting relationships and diverting it to you?
    What is the advantage to working with you and damaging all my other marketing relationships?
    What is the advantage to alienating all the rest who we're not yet doing business with.
    Why would I want to invite competitors to respond in kind if I were to do this to them? Because I will tell you, if I find competitors serving ads on top of our site WE WILL pursue this AND the adserver.

I maintain business relationships with the marketing managers at -many- large brand-name online merchants and frankly would advise any of them against working with your company or others like it.
    I suggest you find another business model.

Respectfully,
    Rick

Rick McGrath
    Partner Development
    Chicago, IL 60601
    mcgrathr@jcwhitney.com
    312-431-5681

>>> "Ben Christiansen" 04/29 3:03 PM >>>

Hello this is for JC Whitney,
    I saw Your Website, I am not sure if I have the right email address but
    maybe you could lead me to the right person.
    We now have an Extreme Targeting Advertising program that can send
    qualified customers right to you when they are ready to buy .

For a limited time we can have Your Website appear when users go to:
    YAHOO, MSN, AOL, Google, Overture or any number of high profile targeted
    sites that you choose, for as little as $.05 per unique visitor. Imagine
    your site being seen on the world's busiest for a fraction of what it costs
    to buy directly! Any interest?

See:
    http://www.aadcom.com/etadvertisingstep1.htm

We can now target your prospective clients with our highly effective stand
    alone emails.

Click the link to check it out. http://www.aadcom.com/targetedinfo.htm

What do you think?

Sincerely,

Ben Christiansen ,

Business Development

xxx-xxx-xxxx (Omited by Rick)

If you received this email in error, I apologize for the inconvenience.
    Please reply back with the word Remove in the subject line and I will not
    email you again.

Ben Christiansen
    Business Development
    AADCOM.com
    Internet Advertising
    (T) xxx-xxx-xxxx
    (F) xxx-xxx-xxxx
    Extreme Targeting

ABW Ambassador
    Rick,
    If I haven't said it before, thank you for your stance on this issue, and for posting the above information.

Good post Rick, thanks for sticking up for the affiliate community.

(PS you might even get a personal recommendation from CreepyGuy if he can find the parts for his AMC) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Great Post Rick!!!

Your a great manager with B@lls and ethics, WTG!

Haiko

JC :
    quote:
    How is this not stealing potential advertising income from our exiting relationships and diverting it to you?
    What is the advantage to working with you and damaging all my other marketing relationships?
    What is the advantage to alienating all the rest who we're not yet doing business with.
    Why would I want to invite competitors to respond in kind if I were to do this to them? Because I will tell you, if I find competitors serving ads on top of our site WE WILL pursue this AND the adserver.

YES! Great points ... great questions! Will love to hear his responses (choke choke). I'm not an affiliate of your program but I have been a customer of JC Whitney on and off for 20 years. Thank you for being a stand-up guy!

All,

Simply a matter of knowing which side my bread is buttered on. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Rick

Well done Rick, nice to see another merchant with the guts to live an honest life.

I gotta say Haiko, you've got some great merchants here what a shame there are not more like them.

quote:
    Originally posted by Gordon:
    I gotta say Haiko, you've got some great merchants here what a shame there are not more like them.

We are interviewing others to see if they are 'worthy', and will announce them as they become.

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    Can I eat spam so close to supper....

This was dated April 30th.....

Not only are they parasite ware..now spammers.

I saw your site while surfing around the net. I am not sure if I have the right email address but maybe you could lead me to the right person.
    We now have an Extreme Targeting Advertising program that can send shoppers right to you. Your site will be seen first when visitors go to Hunting.net, FieldAndStream.com, NationalGeographic.com, even Yahoo, Google or most high-traffic sites. I think your business is perfect for this. See http://www.aadcom.com/etadvertisingstep1.htm What do you think?

Sincerely,

Garry Hawley
    Business Development
    AADCOM.com
    Internet Advertising
    (T) 949-496-4396
    (F) 949-496-6738

Canfree,

Garry Hawley, of Business Development will be getting a phone call and invitation, lets see if his knees knock also! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

TY!

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    You might also invite this SPAMMER as well:

Matt
    800-771-0130

"Hello,
    I saw your website on yahoo.com. I am not sure if I have the right email address but maybe you could lead me to the right person............."

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Several of my web clients also got the spam and thankfully asked me what they should do. They'd gotten burned many times by the traffic and SE listing con gamers they don't spend a buck on promotion without my advice. They all sleep well at night and don't ever buy something from a spam.

ABW Ambassador
    AADCOM.com is scum of the earth. They are so full of crap. On their clients page they used to have various other clients listed like ebay. I contacted ebay and their legal team contacted me and said they had no relationship with aadcom and they demanded they remove the mention. Everyone on their list I contacted and who mailed me back said the same thing - 5 people.

They are owned by the same parent company as mindset interactive - or better known as crappy screen savers to install spyware.

They are owned/started by a guy from dash.com - the original affiliate link stealer.

Whatever he says will be worthless. They have lied to me so many times I almost can't keep count (but I am for a follow up story to a VX2 article I wrote.)

Mindset interactive their sister company was caught selling the data from the vx2 monitoring system - and then of course denied it.

The VX2 guy joshua abrahms (another dash.com employee) started vx2 (Notice the idea of a bunch of seperate companies all to pass the blame around?) and when it got too hot, just started another company doing the exact same thing. He lead me on with lies until I caught his second company - no he refuses to talk to me (this after him calling me almost daily so I could get my story right) yeah...

These people are the scum of the Internet. Seriously, there will be nothing they can say that will be truthful or worth listening to.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    quote:
    We now have an Extreme Targeting Advertising program that can send shoppers right to you. Your site will be seen first when visitors go to Hunting.net, FieldAndStream.com, NationalGeographic.com, even Yahoo, Google or most high-traffic sites. I

Oh great. As my fishing hunting site struggles to make some coin as is, now we have these crooks poaching our links.
    Who's next?

a pissed off
    WW

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Haiko might like to develop a site to allow the 300 million web surfers to rant about what upsets them about online advertising. They are the ultimate victims since it's their pockets that are picked ( affiliate know that feeling well) and waste ungodly time curing their systems from the "Tricks for Clicks" crowd. This would be a site showcasing the main abusers that infect the 'puters with spyware-adwarez and get the surfers spammed.

Call it "the Interlopers" complete with a forum so they inadvertently get educated and can flame their favorite abuser be it Gator Comet Curser, Bonsai Buddy, iWon, Free Lotto or Morpheus, etc. etc. That way all the forces can come together with the victims and try to defend their actions.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread