I'm really new to all this - didn't even realize that something like Morpheus existed until I read about it on this forum. Not even sure what it is and its history, other than the obvious - that it's being used to steal sales from publishers.

Considering how little I'm making from my content site, I am considering installing the BHO detector on at least some of my pages (mainly my video reviews and affiliate pages, although I have affiliate ads sprinkled on every page of my site). What are the pros and cons of this? Frankly, on my affiliate pages, I really don't want anyone there if they're going to buy something and I won't get credited for the sale! I mean, why bother having those pages there otherwise? So any insight on this before I start inserting javascript would be greatly appreciated.

quote:
    I really don't want anyone there if they're going to buy something and I won't get credited for the sale! I mean, why bother having those pages there otherwise

Janiss,

Regarding the pros of the detect.js BHO Detector script, you've already answered your own question.

Technically, one of the cons might be that a few people won't be able to access your site --- but as you said, you don't want those people anyway because you won't be credited if they buy anything yet you still have to pay for the traffic they use up.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

ABW Ambassador
    Well, technically, there's a bigger con.

The majority of my merchants are NOT affiliated with Morpheus. So someone with Morpheus installed can still make a purchase via my site that I will get paid for -- unless I block their access.

Which is why I haven't placed the detector script on my ecom site -- I don't want to give up more sales to Morpheus by blocking visitors.

OTOH, my high-traffic content site, which has been online since 1998 and is a trusted reource for many is covered with it. Another 35,000 unique visitors since I last reported in and it seems to have levelled out at 2.5% with Morpheus installed.

The TRULY disappointing part is how few of those people click through to the listed resources.

quote:
    Originally posted by Cedric:
    The majority of my merchants are NOT affiliated with Morpheus. So someone with Morpheus installed can still make a purchase via my site that I will get paid for -- unless I block their access.

Cedric,

You're correct. I thought about that. The webmaster has to consider the consequences of blocking Morpheus users.

The only problem of letting in Morpheus users is how do I determine whether the merchant I'm promoting is affiliated or not with Morpheus? I can check Haiko's list but it is likely that there are more merchants that have not been discovered yet -- and Morpheus is probably adding more.

I also have to know if a merchant was once affiliated with Morpheus -- I assume that Morpheus still affects links even if the merchant closed the affiliate account (anyone know for sure?).

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

quote:
    I assume that Morpheus still affects links even if the merchant closed the affiliate account (anyone know for sure?).

Dave I've got an old Thinkpad in the closet that I'm going to reformat at some point anyway, so I'll put Morpheus on it today and see if I can check some of this out. WEbmasterMike said that his relative - a District Attorney - would like to also know if merchants that participated in Buyersport extended the cookie duration for them, so I'll try to find that out as well.

ABW Ambassador
    David, the greater problem for me (on the ecomm site) is pissing off even potential customers.

IMO, the customer is NOT always right, but the customer should ALWAYS be treated with courtesy. Yes, even non-paying customers.

I know that flies square against how some people feel, but I can't get away from that belief.

OTOH, after about the first year of trying to please everyone and answering every email, I've always run my content site with the attitude that I'll run it anyway I like and if people don't come back, I could give a rip. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread