I've been considering popunders as a potential option for advertising, but I'm a little concerned about the impression that might create around a site. I know whenever I get a popunder, my instinct is to close it immediately (unless its some good pr0n ) and internalize some contempt for both the source and the popunder site. I know the world and the internet is simply too big for even a fairly massive popunder campaign to give you a "bad reputation" among potential visitors, but I don't especially want to annoy people, either. I guess if the popunder site is targeted by content and provides some real information, its not as offensive.

Any thoughts? Has anyone tried popunders? What do you recommend?

I don't use pops because I personally don't like them. I don't do business with companies that use them, and I don't go back to sites that force them on me.

I honestly can't think of anyone I know that likes them, or doesn't find them a nuisance.

Yet I hear that conversions for pops are better than average, although I'm not sure why that would be.

With more and more companies like AOL, Earthlink, MSN, etc., promoting a pop-free surfing environment, I think the trend against pops is becoming stronger. You'll have to use your own best judgement on this. Are your site visitors typically going to tolerate the pops you serve them well? Consider they may have other software on their computer that serves pops to them in addition to yours. They could have things popping up on almost every page, and that could get old really fast.

On my sites, I have a policy of "No pops" and my visitors know that. So, if a pop-up is served to them while on my site, they know it's from their own computer and not my site. I tell them to go to Lavasoft to get rid of the bogus software.

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

Hi Andy,

Like you I dispise popups of any kind... and I absolutely intensly dislike the multiple and multiple popup dance.. grrrrrrr

The thing is that the average internet user has been so exposed (over exposed) to them they are now more or less a part and parcel of the whole internet experience.

Although, I don't like using them, I do use them for special promotions, eg when I want a boost to my mailing list sign ups. I don't use graphic adds just simple subscription forms this type of thing and YEP! as annoying and intrusive as they are.. they do boost my sign up rate by an amazing 200%!

Love 'em or hate 'em the're here to stay!

Happy earning$!

Les
    Webman Studios
    home of the Official Australian Affiliate Forum
    http://www.webman.com.au

ABW Ambassador
    Popunders can be effective if you take it easy with them; just one, only one, and targetted to your visitors.

Many will close them on impulse, as mentioned above, but with those who don't close them, you are maximizing the potential of making a sale if the popunder happens to offer exactly what they are looking for.

-----------------------------

Hell wasn't big enough so I had to come back.

I can just say that.

Don't use Pop-ups or Pop-Unders at all.

People install Pop-up/Under Blockers and cause problems with click-triggered Pop-ups.

They also install software to block CJ, BF, LS and other Links, because they have the side-effect, that a lot of the pop-ups are not displayed (correctly) anymore.

In simple word:

DO NOT USE F**KING POP-UPS/UNDERS!

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner
    Shop-Links.net

If you can't move things, try harder!

Just so we're clear, as popunders I was referring to the method of advertising in which when you visit a site, another site pops up behind it. Here's a demo:

http://www.trafficterritory.com/sample.htm

I agree that its a least borderline spammy, not to mention annoying and invasive. With people largely ignoring traditional banner ads, the options for advertising are somewhat diminished so I think these questionable options must be considered.

I don't think I'll end up using popunders, I agree with most of the negative comments about them. Its just a bit frustrating trying to get quality exposure these days.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't mind visiting a site depending on how frequent the pop unders are. There is one site that has a single pop under that is cookied for 3 days...I can live with that. The ones that really get under my skin is the multiple popus..and when you close one, it triggers 3 more and so forth.

TH Media-Web Solutions For The Small Business
    Check Out The TH Media Affiliate Program

Yeah, that's a problem. If a site is going to pop up 3 other sites in the background, that's just an annoyance, not effective advertising, and when you buy X number of impressions or clicks from these places you generally don't have control over how its delivered.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread