Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    As promised, I installed Morpheus on an old notebook computer. I ran a test on links for both a Linkshare Merchant and a CJ Merchant that have dropped Buyersport and so far do not see evidence of re-direction.

Bad News ...

I have screen shots of over 10 merchants who have dropped them (were quoted as doing so in the other thread) but the links to these merchants are still active and LIVE!!!!

Haiko

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Whose amazed that some merchants will lie to us out of greed. Please post the merchants who dropped them and then mysteriously still appear.

Mike,

It is not the merchants fault it is Buyersport who used another account to publish the links! The affected merchants are ethical.

Haiko

My 2 test cases are merchants who are here - JC Whitney and Overstock.

Of course it is likely others have lied to us and were likely *told* to do so.

It is also possible that links are still be over-written for those who have dropped Morpheus where the visitor still has the old cookie, but I've no way to know that.

What I DO know is that it is very easy to tell with CJ links b/c when I uninstall the BHO my own PID stays in the address bar, when I re-install Morpheus, it is over-written. It is not at all difficult to see the over-write, it takes a couple seconds to happen.

I don't know what the original list is since it has been updated, so if anyone has an original copy of the list, I will check it against those that said they have dropped.

Oh and Haiko - I PM'ed you.

[ 05-18-2002: Message edited by: eaglefire ]

Eaglefire,

Is correct that both JC Whitney and Overstock do not redirect!

I am just stating that Buyersport has put up links for merchants I know have dropped them!

Haiko

Haiko - I am not sure that the fact they still appear on the Buyersport website means the links are still being over-written by Morpheus ... but I will do as I said - investigate further - and let you know what I find.

BeFree tests - Tiger - trusted party - dropped Morpheus - links OK.

But Haiko is correct in that some who have said they dropped Buyersport are still re-directing. I don't particularly trust those merchants I've caught still re-directing as I don't have a relationship with them, so i still have to conclude that they

a - did not tell the truth
    or
    b- did NOT FOLLOW UP

c- Buyersport used another account and is defrauding the good will of the merchants.

Haiko

Couldn't the merchants that inform Buyersport/Morhoeus that they do not want them to participate in their affiliate program sue Morpheus for not honoring the request. The monitizing P2P network is 100% controlled by Morpheus and their theftwarez script and their using alternate affiliate codes with shill accounts proves fraudulant intent. Of course the merchant can refuse paying the affiliate network alacart fees and commission cuts for violation of TOS the moment they uncover the shady rebirth of their links.

quote:
    c- Buyersport used another account and is defrauding the good will of the merchants.

NOT

If that were the case then the lsn_qstring would be different. It is the SAME as the Buyersport lsn_qstring in Neil's videos.

The CJ PID is different though [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Haiko

I haven't checked those ID's yet but I've sent you proof of the LS ones.

Question is, since the cookie containing the qstring is being set by linksynergy, who I assume to be Linkshare, not the merchant, WHY is the Buyersport Linkshare ID still being written to it?

eaglefire,

GREAT WORK!!!!

I am contacting the merchants I have screen shots of and just mailed OM CC: Stephen [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Haiko

"I haven't checked those ID's yet but I've sent you proof of the LS ones.
    Question is, since the cookie containing the qstring is being set by linksynergy, who I assume to be Linkshare, not the merchant, WHY is the Buyersport Linkshare ID still being written to it?

This shows the techies at Linkshare and the other networks have customized their link feeds to sync in with the Morpheus redirect servers. They did the same for the scumware Duper Affiliates to double check that their red carpet coupon/specials daily autofeeds worked to hijack our targeted traffic at the point of sale. We are not nieve to the fact the networks worked very hard to make sure the ones who steal traffic from the regular affiliates got the special program hooks tested and monitored.

[ 05-19-2002: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

ABW Ambassador
    Can you post some proof of the linkshare links still redirecting?

I spoke with someone at linkshare who insisted they dropped all Buyersport affiliations and they would not longer work.

Guess I was lied to.

Chet

Chet,

I have been emailing (back and forth) with Stephen Messer this weekend about merchants who have dropped Buyersport but they are still redirtecting links. I'll post video proof asap.

Haiko

Haiko - please check your PMs

Affiliate Manager
    As you all know, Buyersport was deactivated from Overstock.com's affiliate program right before my announcement to this board. I went back to their site to make sure that we were nowhere to be found, and I saw an Overstock.com banner on the right hand side after you click the "Sports & Recreation" link. It's a square Overstock.com banner titled "Best Price Guarantee". Shocked, I clicked on it only to have it redirect to a LinkShare page with the following message:

quote:
    Sorry! You have clicked on a link that has expired or been deactivated. The link was used to facilitate relationships between merchant and affiliate members of the LinkShare Network. We apologize for any inconvenience.

LinkShare Corporation develops technology to manage and support affiliate marketing programs for companies doing business on the Web. Our programs provide Web-based marketplaces where online merchants and other businesses may create and manage performance-based marketing partnerships on the Web. Visit us at www.linkshare.com for more information.

When a Merchant at LinkShare disables an affiliate, the links from that affiliate no longer work. I'm not sure how things work at CJ, though.

If anyone hears concrete proof of other affiliate accounts being used to get around being disabled, please let me know.

Thanks,

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: Shawn-Overstock.com ]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    "I'm not sure how things work at CJ, though."

As I recall:

When the merchant is still active, but the affiliate has been rejected/deactivated, the links still appear to work from a customer's perspective, but no commissions are generated for the affiliate.

The CJ "screen of death" only shows up if the merchant is deactivated.

This is only to the best of my recollection, though. Things may have changed since the last time it came up (a few months ago).

[clarification]

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

Thank you Shawn for checking that out for us [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] We've been testing merchants as we go along. I've got Morpheus on an old Thinkpad and Overstock checked out clean. The lsn_qstring in my linsynergy cookie remained my own LS id. There are others, however, including Linshare merchants - that say they ahve dropped Buyersport, but when Haiko or I click on a banner to go to the merchants website, the lsn_qstring in the cookie becomes that of Buyersport. In fact it is the same buyersport ID that is in the Neil Durant videos (someone must think we are stupid).

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: eaglefire ]

Shawn;
    You'll also notice your banners at the Morpheus mirror sites since obviously you name means something to their users. Notice also the browser trap you got yourself into when you clicked your deactivated link. Linkshare makes it almost impossible for the trapped visitor to Overstock to get back to the referring site since they purposely disable the browsers "back" button. I made multiple demands on Stephen Messer that this damaged my site's integrety and hurt the brand of the merchant. The kiss of death screens at CJ and BeFree do not do this.

Affiliate Manager
    Based on what I've heard, I think (keep your laughter to a minimum, please [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] )that LinkShare actually protects the affiliates better than the other networks. By not allowing a deactivated affiliate to land a click through to the Merchant's site, the affiliate totally wins. However, the uneducated end-user might wonder what the Merchant's problem is because they clicked on an Overstock link and went to an error page.

That sucks for those Merchants who are trying to play fair (like Overstock)...

Oh well, to quote Spock, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one."

Thanks,

quote:
    Originally posted by EcomCity.com:
    Whose amazed that some merchants will lie to us out of greed. Please post the merchants who dropped them and then mysteriously still appear.

I'd like to suggest that "WebMaster Mike" do some investigation and research prior to making such bold comments. I can't speak for all companies, but I can let everyone know that it is CJ policy that if a merchant drops a partner, there is a grace period in which the partnership remains active (10 days or 2 weeks, I believe) to give the partner time to remove the links.

Edited as per This Anouncement

I will say that ...
    quote:
    ...there is no way the redirects could have occurred without the direct knowledge of Linkshare's programmers.

Is a completely false statement!

Haiko
    Admin

[ 06-07-2002: Message edited by: Haiko ]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast