Someone please help! My wife inadvertantly said yes to something on a website (looks like it was a "do you want to install"), and now it appears that my computer has been hijacked, and I can't seem to rid myself of the source file.

I've tried finding the file through Explorer, but the folder doesn't exist per that application, and I've deleted my temporary internet files and cookies, to no avail.

My firewall is preventing said hijacker from accessing the internet - here's the info it provided, can someone PLEASE tell me how delete this off of my computer entirely?

trickler3103.exe is attempting to accesss the internet.

Application: C:\documents and settings\wtjpm (my user folder)\local settings\temp\trickler.exe

Remote Address: trickle.gator.com (that's no suprise!)

The message also states that the application is loaded from the registry.

Can someone please advise and help me out if you know what to do to purge this scumware program off my system????

Thank you very much in advance.

wtjpm

ABW Ambassador
    Try http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    download adaware [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[ 06-14-2002: Message edited by: Guffy ]

***Update***

Via Internet Explorer, I was able to access the folder where the trickler file is. There are 2 files created this morning in this directory: trickler3103.exe, and ~DF4AAD.tmp. When I try to delete them, I get an error message saying that I can't delete, access is denied.

HELP!!! This is ridiculous. you can accidentally install by hitting the enter hey on a pop-up window, but they make it impossible to uninstall for a novice or intermediate user!

wtjpm

wtjpm,

Trickler is the gator slow and stealthy installer, email support@gator.com they'll tell you how to stop / get rid of it.

Haiko

Try rebooting in safe mose and deleting their files from there. If you still can't, you'll have to edit the registry (type regedit in the run box, then search for tricker - delete anything you find), reboot, then delete.

Thank you everyone for responding so fast!

Guffy - your advise was perfect. The program found 18 different spyware/etc files on my computer, and was able to delete all of them - though the trickler file was tougher, I had to reboot and try a second time. Most were Gator files, but I found a couple of other ones that slipped in there as well over the past few months...

Thanks again, this seems to have worked. Now I won't have to get mad at my pregnant wife! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

wtjpm

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread