Hello,

My name is Lenny Grover, and I am the owner of New Media Properties, LLC, the company that runs SearchSquire. I signed up for ABestWeb several months ago but have not had a chance to become active in the forum while the partner program was in development. Now, I will be hanging around, and if you have any questions about the program (or anything else, for that matter), feel free to PM or e-mail me.

I look forward to meeting you.

Lenny Grover
    New Media Properties, LLC

SearchSquire: Continue Earning Money From Visitors Long After They Leave Your Site

ABW Ambassador
    *cough* Gatorish *cough*

LanMan / Lenny,

Hi and Welcome to the PARASITEWARE(TM) Forum!

unfortunately, I agree that your program appears to be parasitic.

quote:
    By distributing our software to your users as an ActiveX download through our standard pop under advertisements, you can earn up to 50% of the revenue generated by users when they click on paid search results. Once a user downloads our software through a partner site, the partner's code will reside on the user's machine as long as he remains a user of our software. Consequently, sites can continue to earn revenue from their visitors long after they download the software.

quote:
    Whenever one of our users visits a search engine and initiates a search, SearchSquire will automatically query multiple other search engines and unobtrusively display the results in an IE sidebar on the left of the main Internet Explorer window. Many of the results are syndicated from pay per click search engines and revenue is generated whenever such a result is clicked on. As a member of our partner program, you can earn 50% of what we earn whenever a user in the United States clicks on a paid result through our software.

This post will be move to the suspicious activity forum, within the ParasiteWare(TM) forums.

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

Well, I can honestly say that I did not expect this. If you read our strict Privacy Policy, you will see that we do not distribute "spyware."

If you actually took the time to download the software, you would see that there is no traffic redirection (it does not "hijack" users' browsers) and ads are only displayed within the SearchSquire program window (not on other websites). The software clearly identifies itself every time that it loads, with a "Powered by SearchSquire" tagline at the top of each page displayed, so advertisements do not appear to come from third party sites. If users find that they do not like our software, a "SearchSquire" entry in the "Add/Remove Programs" window allows for instant uninstallation.

Finally, the partner program gives webmasters a chance to earn a 50% share in all PPC revenue that we generate. Not only does SearchSquire not steal webmasters' revenue, it gives them a chance to share in ours.

Instantly judging all software advertising to be "ParasiteWare," "Scumware," or "Spyware" is like simply terming all commercial e-mail (including double opt-in) as SPAM. What differentiates SearchSquire from the competition is its user-friendliness, its strict privacy policy, and its outreach to the webmaster community. If I were hawking "parasiteware" designed to steal from webmasters, do you really think that I would post in this forum or rely on webmasters to distribute it? I hope you will keep that in mind before rushing to judgement.

Lenny Grover

SearchSquire: Continue Earning Money From Visitors Long After They Leave Your Site

[This message was edited by LaNMaN on September 08, 2002 at 10:45 AM.]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Lenny let's not get our messages crossed when addressing an affiliate forum. The consumer value message verses the affiliate rev share message can lead to confusion. The part that breeds suspect hidden activity is that your program relies upon a BHO (browser helper object) plugin and the ABW experience has been all these turn into parasites or Adwarez programs. So your is the exception if what you state is correct. We all remember the innocent Gator.com form filling application or those FreeBee Napster type P2P file sharing applications which were a originally a quick un-install.

A cheap PPC keyword bidding script resides on the purchasers server like a forum/auction script. If the owner can get search traffic they can attract advertisers. With 5000 competitors and maybe only 2 majors ..Overture and Findwhat..you need a hook for the traffic as a startup to sell and revshare clicks. Looksmart had a hook too which gets us up in arms. It was a plug-in to search enable all the parasites traffic. So we are paranoid. Just explain how it works and pray Adaware, not ABW, doesn't detect it as spyware/adware, since you need to cater and please the affiates here who spend big bucks on PPC keywords.

Notice how a competitor made it easy for me or anyone to verify their programs integrety. I'm not saying theirs is a great program (bids start at 10cents/word) but the owner was right on the phone to answer questions that begged answering. He too needed a hook ..a free popup blocker to go with his BHO search bar. You both may have value to us affiliates or to the merchants here. Just clarify how you monitize your ebiz in a no spam -anti parasite-crowd.

Download the Toolbar with Pop-Up Eliminator, FREE!

With that in mind, SearchBoss is proud to announce the latest addition to our complimentary suite of consumer products, the SearchBar with Pop-Up Blocking Technology.

The SearchBar enables consumers to surf the web using the most advanced search technology and shopping directory available and best of all, NO MORE POP-UPS!

Enhance your Internet experience, download your free copy of the Searchbar with Pop-Up Blocking Technology today. It takes only a minute to install and lets you enjoy Pop-Up Free Search.

On behalf of everyone at SearchBoss, we would like to extend our gratitude for this opportunity. Please email us at info@searchboss.com if you need further assistance...Download the SearchBar Now!

Thank you,
    Lawrence A. Carney
    Director of Sales
    Toll Free: (866) 866-8141
    Fax: (419) 380-8200

WebMaster Mike

>as long as he remains a user of our software

Phrases like that engender deep suspicion in the minds of 51% of your potential audience.

I wonder if you can work out why?

I

quote:
    The part that breeds suspect hidden activity is that your program relies upon a BHO (browser helper object) plugin and the ABW experience has been all these turn into parasites or Adwarez programs.

As indicated in our Privacy Policy, the SearchSquire software does not include binary auto update functionality. The only thing we can do is introduce new search engines to existing SearchSquire installtions; we cannot make the software "become" anything other than what it is. You can even download the software for yourself and see exactly what it does by viewing a sample pop up ad (just like the one that would be displayed on your site) from the More Information page.

quote:
    He too needed a hook ..a free popup blocker to go with his BHO search bar.

This sounds more like "ParasiteWare" to me! By blocking pop up ads, it effectively deprives webmasters of the advertising revenue that they use to support their sites. If you look at some of the posts in other webmaster discussion forums, you will see the animosity that many webmasters have towards those who distribute pop up blockers.

quote:
    Just explain how it works and pray Adaware, not ABW, doesn't detect it as spyware/adware, since you need to cater and please the affiates here who spend big bucks on PPC keywords.

Right now, I am not trying to sell you anything other than the opportunity to share in SearchSquire's success by earning a 50% revenue share for distributing the software on your site.

quote:
    Just clarify how you monitize your ebiz in a no spam -anti parasite-crowd.

Do not take my word for it; download the actual software from the sample pop up link on our website, and see for yourself. We do not "spy" on users, steal affiliate commissions, etc. The only thing we do is offer users additional search results (many of them are PPC) whenever they perform a search; furthermore, as you can see, we do not "hijack" users' browsers or in any way interfere with the function of their preferred search site. Furthermore, anytime SearchSquire appears, there is a "powered by SearchSquire" message that clearly indicates to users that the results are displayed from our software, and not the other website they are viewing.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please raise them here. I appreciate the opportunity to respond to any concerns about the operation of the software.

Lenny Grover

quote:
    Originally posted by Icicle:
    >as long as he remains a user of our software

Phrases like that engender deep suspicion in the minds of 51% of your potential audience.

I wonder if you can work out why?

I

If you download the software through our website, you will see that it easy easy to uninstall (just select "SearchSquire" from the Add/Remove Programs dialog). If you would prefer, I would be happy to pay you only for the first month of usage, while I extend the aforementioned offer to all other partners :-).

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread