Hi everyone,
    I just wanted to make sure all of the merchants that are affiliated with WhenU.com are aware of one aspect of the WhenU software.

Let's say a consumer is searching for a product, or for your company specifically, and they end up on your site.

If that consumer has WhenU software on their computer, it is possible that WhenU will throw an ad up AFTER the person has reached your site, regardless of how they found you...another affiliate partner, the WhenU software itself, CPC search engines, etc.

What is happening is that if the consumer clicks on this ad that pops up in front of them once they have reached your site, WhenU then gets credit for that consumer's purchases.

As a merchant, you will be paying to bring that consumer into your site (through banner ads, CPC engines, branding efforts, affiliate partnerships, etc.), and then you will be paying WhenU because they manage to get their affiliate cookie attached to the consumer after he/she reaches your site.

I am still in the learning curve on how this product and others like it work, so I invite WhenU, or anyone that has any information to the contrary...to post it for everyone to review.

Thanks, and if any other merchants have any knowledge of situations like this with any other affiliate partners, I'd like to be notified.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Nice to have your enlightning observations from a merchant's viewpoint Mike. Most merchants assume when they look at the stats their program is alive and well when signing up with parasite/hijackers like ShopNow/Whenu.com or Gator and the other Duperaffiliates pushed by the networks. In reality these advertising con men suck off all those sales commissions from other web site traffic sources...like ABW member sites. Lazy merchants like to only have correspondence with 5-10 affiliates who mysteriously garner in 90% of the commissions. Little do you alos know these same guys filter off your customers e-mail addresses and buying habits to sell to e-mail spammers to dilute your brand or push competitors products. Real world ROI gets blurred when all of a sudden your paying a Overture PPC keyword click fee and "underneith" or Fredricks of Hollywood Ads and incent offers popup over your site content. You paid 25 cents to get them there and your Whenu.com buddy steals them to a competitors site.

Hi Mike,
    I'd like to see more merchants discussing what is happening as the marketplace changes. I think it is one of the best ways for everyone to stay informed.

And hey, if these forums are going to work, they have to have representatives from both sides speaking out.

I'm glad to see Haiko reaching out to the affiliates, the merchants, and the owners of the 3rd party affiliate networks.

Does anyone know anything about Space City Locators? In five days they generated $5,000 worth of sales and they do not have our link up on their site. All of the contact information checked out, however when I spoke to the contact person, he did not seem to have any idea as to how he was getting so many sales. They have no impressions, yet have ammassed a ton of click-throughs.

What do you guys think?

The parasite Duperaffiliate hijackers use multiple affiliate accounts and you've probably uncovered a new one for Morpheus or ShopNow. The domain contact is probably a shill for one of these ROI killers.

ABW Ambassador
    Mike,
    Not a merchant, but, thank you for the informative note.

Hi all! I am the affiliate manager for A.K.A Gourmet and just joined this forum today. I was just told about the parasite issue of which I was totally unaware.

One thing that bothers me as a merchant reading alot of these forums is that many or most of you assume the merchants are fully aware we are allowing parasites to hijack traffic and screw you when I think most of the merchants, myself included, are not aware of who are parasites. We do not get a parasite warning red flag when an affiliate joins our program. Unless the merchants join in on sites like this..we really are unaware. We do run an honest program..we pay our affiliates every month and on time, we have generous commission structure and have real return days.

We joined LS in January 2001..after the dotcom flame out. We had to work extra hard to overcome the bad rep preceding us that many of the dotcom "superstars" who flopped left behind. We had to work harder to build trust among the affiliates left at LS. I later joined sites like cashpile, revenews, affiliatemanager and found out alot of how you feel about LS and many of its merchants.

So now I find out about these parasites and hope to get this cleared up. we do value our affiliate network and want to pay the people bringing us real traffic..not just hijacked traffic.

So anyone out there with expertise in clean-up..help!

Patty
    AKA Gourmet

Welcome AKA gourmet. I'm sure you'll get a real education here on what does and doesn't work for afifliates. Better yet by reading the TigerDirect -Coldwater Creek -Overstock and JCWhitney threads you'll see the real value in building a merchant program that sells.

If you are involved with some of the Parasites, and what we call Duperaffiliates, you'll notice them taking the majority of your timely commissson checks. Most merchants find that their top 5 producers all fall into these categories. The unknown fact is none of those top 5 ever generated one legit click to your site. All their income comes from feeding off of our efforts to target traffic.

WebMaster Mike

Thanks Mike! I am closely examining all top affiliates. So far most of our top affiliates are private deals we set up..not necessarily affiliates we gained through LS..but the affiliates that are non-private partners..are some mentioned here.

I found buyersport in our program and terminated them. I have not found whenu.com..any others I should look out for?

Patty
    AKA Gourmet
    Affiliate Manager

Patty ..checkout some of the others listed at www.parasiteware.com Those who are top producers in your program you should just browse their sites and pick up some hints as to why the convert your traffic so well. You might also find some who have a ebiz plans that requires shoppers to install a shopping plug-in to earn points -win prizes -get rebates -or surf to earn ..these are Duperaffiliates whose traffic is basically worthless for merchants. They either feed on your loss leaders or don't do anything more than visit for incent rewards.

WebMaster Mike

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread