I had this company call me today regarding a "new" way to market on the internet and own the keywords to the top sarch engines yourself. They said clients whom surfed the web and had their opt in software installed would be directed to your site automatically.

The product is called netword. They bragged about patents"big deal" and such. Is this parasiteware? I caught the guy in a stutter when I told him that I do not deal with parasiteware.

Is this a scam or what. I told the guy without proper tracking and trial period no way would I spend this much money on something with no conversion guarantee.

JPS
    www.Best-Meds.com
    U.S. Company with Canadian Prices!!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> They said clients whom surfed the web and had their opt in software installed would be directed to your site automatically.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds like parasiteware to me!

The only way I can think of that it wouldn't be parasite is if the redirect happened before the person ever really started surfing--more like a home page resetter. Otherwise, the software would have to be stealing the traffic OFF of another site, to "automatically" direct it ONTO your site.

Even if they do have some way to make it nonparasitic (fat chance), there is also the Annoyance Factor to consider--the viewer will probably be aggravated about finding him/herself on some site they didn't intend to go to (killing the CR)...

-Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

ABW Ambassador
    Oooold oooold news, old tech that never caught on. Can't believe they're still pushing it.

I guess every so often someone else rehashes the technology... what was the first one called, i forget...

----
    -J
    Up in the air in revenue share

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    2 others that I know of are iGetNet and Common Names. I definately view them as parasitic PLUS no one will even see your KW listing unless A) they are stupid enough to type a search phase into their address bar B) they happen to have that software downloaded. I have had dozens of calls from companies like this and they typically (IMHO) exagerate the number of customers that have the software and ALWAYS try to sell you on the future plans they have to strike big deals with all these companies that SUPPOSEDLY very soon (we think we hope) are going to be distributing the software to millions fo surfers. Hype, vapor ware and SERP stealing in my opinion.
    If a big company like Realnames could not make the concept fly not sure why anyone would believe these guys have something new and hot.

ALSO - I have seen numerous help wanted ads for several of these companies trying to recruit salespeople. They all say a version of "Internet Gold Rush - Search Keywords are as hot a seller as the domain gold rush once was. Make 8-10K a month." I'm sure they are selling this well to uninformed companies because the pitch is quite compelling. My X boss was dying to buy some KW. I had to give him a ton of supportive evidence that this was a scam to talk him out of it. And he was a very sharp business man - but still fell for it.

High Commission ~ High Integrity ~ Affiliate Centered Programs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.roadloans.com $100 commission
    (More Linda certified programs coming soon!)

Linda Buquet
    Affiliate Program Optimization, Consulting & Recruiting
    www.catalystEmarketing.com

I shouldn't admit this -but I fell for the iGetNet hype when I first started this gig - fortunately I only bought a couple of 2-Word phrases that I spent a total of $500 on.

I get about 100-125 visitors a day which is enough to recoup the small amount. But I'm sure they have closed people at the $5,000 - $10,000 level for single words who are really sucking wind - I wonder if the AG's could do anything about the pitch's the use and the empty promises they make?

The thought of owning such keywords can be such a strong greedy emotion to be sucked in by I didn't realize until the day the check had cleared that I'd been scammed.

Dale Wentzel
    Director, Online Marketing Motormint.com
    Nothing Builds Business Better than a Strong A.R.M.

Buy them a new application and they'll be content for a day - Show them how to code... and they'll go into business for themselves.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Dale,

Don't feel bad about it. Their pitches are VERY compelling and they tell you what every site owner wants to hear. "This is the magic traffic bullet." Combine that with the fact that they are able attract VERY hig level silver tongued sales devils - due to the promise of Internet gold mine riches. Many of the people that called me could have sold ice to eskimos. And I am sure these slick sales reps are selling a ton of keywords, so don't feel like the lone ranger. You aren't the only one getting dupped.

High Commission ~ High Integrity ~ Affiliate Centered Programs
    www.roadloans.com $100 commission
    (More Linda certified programs coming soon!)

Linda Buquet
    Affiliate Program Optimization, Consulting & Recruiting
    www.catalystEmarketing.com

Thanks Guys you all saved me a lot of $$.

They are good salespeople but Abestweb knows the real deal!!!

Thanks!!

JPS
    www.Best-Meds.com
    U.S. Company with Canadian Prices!!

These guys called me too and I asked him why on earth would someone use software that only returned 1 or 2 search results?

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread