Hey all - I need some help. I'm trying to evaluate Shop At Home Select as a potential business partner. I've talked to them and researched their site quite a bit - but it looks to me like their Golden Retriever Software is just like any other parasiteware.... thoughts?

They say "Golden Retriever Software (GRS) is a program that was written to ensure that you maximize your cash-back rebates every time that you shop on-line. If you log directly on to the site of a ShopAtHomeSelect.com merchant without going first to ShopAtHomeSelect.com, and you make a purchase, that purchase is not eligible for the ShopAtHomeSelect cash-back rebate. If you have GRS installed on your computer, every time you log on to a ShopAtHomeSelect store, GRS will automatically take you through the ShopAtHomeSelect.com site so that any purchases made from a participating store will be eligible for the rebate."

ABW Ambassador
    It looks *somewhat* like a duck, but I'm not convinced it walks like a duck or quacks like a duck.

From your description (and a cursory look at their site), it appears the end-user has to go to THEIR web site and shop from there... I don't see anything about shopping OTHER web sites or pop-ups, sliders, blinkin' lights, etc.

In a quick review, it doesn't appear parasitic to me... anyone think I missed something?

-------
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    LOL Cedrick.."It looks *somewhat* like a duck, but I'm not convinced it walks like a duck or quacks like a duck."

I take offense at that remark from a plump domestic looking Chicken hawk.

The darn Golden Retriever best not ruffle my feathers and treat me like a decoy!

WebMaster Mike

quote:
    If you have GRS installed on your computer, every time you log on to a ShopAtHomeSelect store, GRS will automatically take you through the ShopAtHomeSelect.com site so that any purchases made from a participating store will be eligible for the rebate."

Would this not mean that if you log in at xyz store, and xyz store is a ShopAtHomeSelect store, it will automaticall take you through their site so the shopper/they get credit?
    So if someone comes to xyz store through my affiliate site, logs in, they will be redirected though the ShopAtHomeSelect.com site.

Seems to be walking like a duck to me.

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Why would any "incent" site ever develop and promote something that wasn't parasitic? That damn dog wants to treat me like a crippled duck. CJ placed in their TOS a complete restriction on any "incent sites" qualifying as affiliates without expressed approval from the merchants. The reason being at the time that major "incent" con-men folded up shop and bilked millions of dollars out of their consumer/user base.

Now CJ and the other networks believe they are immune to lawsuits if their "incent" Duperaffiliates posing as merchants operate a Ponzi scheme. The Feds at the time of CyberRebates.com fiasco should have made some enabling network CEO's pay off all those who were bilked. I'm sure that CEO is now toeing the mark and hoping against odds another Ponzi schemer "rewards" Duper won't have him taking a perp walk. There is no Truth in Advertising law that triggers compliance in the WWW wild wild west.

WebMaster Mike

ABW Ambassador
    >>Would this not mean that if you log in at xyz store, and xyz store is a ShopAtHomeSelect store, it will automaticall take you through their site so the shopper/they get credit?<<

Good catch, Connie. I haven't seen anything (yet) to suggest that it's parasitic of other affiliates, but it does seem to be feeding off the merchants (which I don't have a problem with -- IF, the merchants are aware of what's going on).

-------
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread