ABW Ambassador
    I use a modified version of the andrew clover script to detect parasites. I want to make changes in it so that I can take an action to not allow a user access given the severity of the parasite itself.

I don't think that comet cursor, marketscore, etc overwrite affiliate id's but there are obviously more harmful parasites than I thought that do. I see Connie bringing up ebates.

The bottom line is I want to be more proactive and not allow access to users with parasites that have / continue to overwrite affiliates id's.

If someone can do this classification (I really don't know all the ones that do) I surely would appreciate it. I think that as a group we should start "not allowing access" on the parasites that can / do / have overwriten our links.

For the spyware components that are not harmfull to affiliate id's I plan on still letting them in and give the user an alert.

The only direct affiliate-fee-stealer my script can detect is WurldMedia (aka. Morpheus Shopping Community, BuyersPort etc.).

The others - TopMoxie (eBates), TGDCPlugin (shopforgood) - cannot be detected like this as they do not install ActiveX objects.

Neither CometCursor nor MarketScore nor any of the others listed in the parasite.js script are known to overwrite affiliate links.

--
    Andrew Clover
    mailto:and@doxdesk.com
    http://and.doxdesk.com/

quote:
    Originally posted by Andrew Clover:
    The only direct affiliate-fee-stealer my script can detect is WurldMedia (aka. Morpheus Shopping Community, BuyersPort etc.).

The others - TopMoxie (eBates), TGDCPlugin (shopforgood) - cannot be detected like this as they do not install ActiveX objects.

Neither CometCursor nor MarketScore nor any of the others listed in the parasite.js script are known to overwrite affiliate links.

--
    Andrew Clover

One of the main reasons why affiliates that use your script include all definitions is the shotgun approach. If a surfer is infected by something the script ***can*** detect then the odds are in favor that they are also infected by something the script ***cannot*** detect.

As an affiliate I consider WHENU and other AdWare scum just as deadly as hijackers.

You can detect Ebates Moe Money Maker with: "1FBA04EE-3024-11D2-8F1F-0000F87ABD16"

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

C1: good point. I've received mails in the past saying things like 'thanks, your script found eleven different spywares!'. (Eleven! Jesus!...) I usually advise such people to try a full spyware remover in this case, as surely there'll be more...

MC: where did you get that classid? None of the TopMoxie installations I have tested (the bundled versions with LimeWire and er, was Grokster the other one?) have installed an ActiveX control with that ID, they only used a bunch of .class files, JavaRun, and some .dll files which aren't actually DLLs.

--
    Andrew Clover

It was in the Ebates install. Just go to their site and download and install Moe Money Maker. Search the registry, and you'll find it.

I think there's a different one for the MyPoints version. I need to reload it.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    -

ABW Ambassador
    Been gone for awhile. Apparently michael has been here for a long time (elite member status.. ) anyway, for someone who is slammed on here a lot, I respect your continuing to post. Just wanted to say welcome. I know its belated, as I said, it looks like you've been here a lot longer than me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

btw- i respect a lot of ppl who i don't agree with [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread