Hello again all,

Until a strong alliance againts Scumware has established by affiliates that I join, I'm trying figure out ways to stop them hijacking.

I'm not sure about technical details, so I'll need your help.

1- Covering and/or redirecting links.

A- I know of a free service that you enter ANY URL and they give a short URL, on their service with their website, such as "http://www.website.com/34ht". What if we use our affiliate links to disgiuse our affiliate link?

Questions: Do scumware hijack the link after it reached to merchants site?

B- How about we redirect the affiliate links, in a secure proxy, such as
    "https://www.mymall.com/rd.asp?url:http://www.qksrv.com..."

Would they be able hijack it?

C- I heard that a server side redirect with PHP helps to protect codes as well?

Anyone?

2- Credit only website sales.

Apparently, the networks and the merchants are hesitant to drop SCUMWARE out of their affiliate because they generate sales, and hijack ours to make like their sales.

What if we push networks/merchants to credit scumware ONLY the sales directly generated from their sites?

Anyway, I know these may not be new ideas, (to me they're and I'm a new affiliate), but I'm really frustrated with these thieves, I'm looking to do anything to eliminate them.

And, I'm always ready to join and do whatever it's necessary to stop.

Last, one important question:
    If we register a click to merhcant site, does that mean it escaped from scumware?

Kind regards,

ABW Ambassador
    quote:

What if we push networks/merchants to credit scumware ONLY the sales directly generated from their sites?

CJ actually praised eBates (one of the worst parasites) for the job they are doing making CJ money. Gave tehm an award for Integrity & Honesty I think. CJ are happy while eBates steals our commissions and the commissions of the merchants (from search engine listings), as CJ makes money on every sale. To deny the parasites sales that do not originate from the parasites site would mean the parasites get angry, and CJ don't want that.
    These parasites could exist without a network and probably will go that way.

quote:
    Last, one important question:
    If we register a click to merhcant site, does that mean it escaped from scumware?

No, you get the click and the parasite gets any resulting sale commission. As I understand it, parasites do not register any click for sales coming from a stolen sale. Therefore networks could easily implement what you suggest and penalise parasites. The sad truth is CJ are partnered with these parasites in business. At least while it suits the parasites.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Sambay,

Unfortunately, all the different redirect solutions you mentioned wouldn't work. The current crop of parasite software are triggered once the consumer is directed to the merchant site. If merchant xyz participates with ebates for example, the sofware is going to recognize anytime the user is going to merchant xyz site, no matter how they are getting there (an affiliate link, search engine return, email link, direct type in) and will then grab control of the browser and redirect through their affiliate link for merchant xyz.

There have been some scripts posted in this forum you can add to your pages to detect some of the parasiteware. But I don't think all programs are (or can be) detected. But it is one line of defense. You can have a warning message appear letting the visitor know they have a nasty program on their computer with instructions on how to remove it. Some people are also making a detection redirect to another page effectively blocking the user from using their web site until they have removed the software. Which approach is used is a personal decision.

One productive thing you can do at this stage of the game is to contact your merchants letting them know your concerns and about the upcoming meeting on Nov 7th. Many merchants are stilled not well educated on the issue. Many more may not even be aware of the meeting where decisions will be made by the networks which will effect upon them as well. At this time, the merchants are having no representation at the meeting, except to be allowed to provide opinion papers to one of our delegates for summation. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] However, several of the software companies which are causing the problems are being allowed to have representation.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    BLFH have you heard that Shop.org has pulled out of the Nov. 7th meeting? I thought they were to represent the merchants.

"At this time, the merchants are having no representation at the meeting, except to be allowed to provide opinion papers to one of our delegates for summation. However, several of the software companies which are causing the problems are being allowed to have representation."

Sam ..I posted, and many have commented on, a Policy solution in the Midnight Cafe' section for your review.

WebMaster Mike

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread